Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

No mention of Lawrence of Arabia? I dunno if I can sit in a movie theater for 3+ hours.

They've had some epic scale movies in recent years, they just weren't liked by people. Stuff big in scale. Does Alexander and John Carter count?

On a sad note, seems MGM is remaking Ben-Hur for 2016 :smh:

Maybe Titanic? It won awards like it was an epic and is long enough.

I don't mind long *** movies as long as they're good. If I could compare it to anything modern it's like binge watching good shows. I did it with GoT, The Wire, just very recently did it with The Tudors and Dracula.

Any it does depend how you're defining an epic film anyway. Length is one thing but it could be like epic the genre or just epic as in huge budget. Whole hero thing narrows it down too.

On a sad note, seems MGM is remaking Ben-Hur for 2016 :smh:

Maybe Titanic? It won awards like it was an epic and is long enough.

I don't mind long *** movies as long as they're good. If I could compare it to anything modern it's like binge watching good shows. I did it with GoT, The Wire, just very recently did it with The Tudors and Dracula.

Any it does depend how you're defining an epic film anyway. Length is one thing but it could be like epic the genre or just epic as in huge budget. Whole hero thing narrows it down too.

I mean more of the genre. Like I said. Ben Hur or as someone mentioned above, Lawrence of Arabia. Like, a large scale adventure movie. I've never seen Titanic but that would be a good mention for a newer one.

I'm not more interested in three hour movies, I've just been thinking about them recently. And wondered where they've gone. I guess it's just a sign of the times. People don't want to see those types of movies right now.

There's not a whole lot of money in them unless they initially show they'll build to making way more than the budget. That's how LOTR got there thing going. Huge fan base and that was like one epic broken up in to two movies in that trilogy.

I get what you're saying though and yeah not a whole lot like there use to be. Not sure if it's a bad thing.

I neveriked Rhys Meyers in anything (exception being Match Point) until I saw him as Henry vIII in Tudors, and that's one of THE best performances I seen onscreen period.
Point is, tried watching Dracula after Tudors and couldn't get into it. May try again after I finish this last ep of Utopia again, so I can understand
Master Zik Master Zik not being able to get into a show (Peaky Blinders for instance) even though it's renown by others. If you can hang in and finish, I'd try to. I'm going to give Dracula another shot then

th3kid th3kid He has some good movies to watch mate. Blue Valentine was intense man. Crazy StupidLove was a fav of mine.
I think his best work was All Good Things with Reese Witherspoon, that story was deep man.
Fracture was his favorite of mine before All Good Things.

I watched one episode of dracula and it sucked. Only good part of that show was the busty blonde that wanted him.

I neveriked Rhys Meyers in anything (exception being Match Point) until I saw him as Henry vIII in Tudors, and that's one of THE best performances I seen onscreen period.
Point is, tried watching Dracula after Tudors and couldn't get into it. May try again after I finish this last ep of Utopia again, so I can understand
Master Zik Master Zik not being able to get into a show (Peaky Blinders for instance) even though it's renown by others. If you can hang in and finish, I'd try to. I'm going to give Dracula another shot then
It was different for me with him. I seen him around but never really watched anything where he was the focus or supporting character. I knew of the Tudors but wasn't even aware he was Henry. I just wanted some more Natalie Dormer. GoT season just finished, Vikings S2 just finished and I was saddened when I heard the 4th season of The Borgias was cancelled and I was jonesing for something more like that and saw the entire series was available on demand so I dived in like I did with other shows.

I gave my review on it but all in all as a show it's not up there with the aforementioned. The writing simply isn't good enough but as a character piece and period piece it's great and Meyers was ******* great as Henry. Son is the main driving force that got me to watch all 4 seasons. He was impressed with his acting. So I looked him up and checked Dracula off the strength of his work and it was pretty good Nothing amazing but good. Especially since I passed it off when I tried to watch when it was on air as just another trash vampire/NBC don't know what they're doing trying to cash in on the horror fiction genre tv show. Plus since it was cancelled already I figure I could bang out 10 eps before I moved on.

As for Peaky Blinders, I'm not even all the way hating on the show as it is. That was more of a update since I'm halfway through. Not completely interested in all of the other characters but I'd like to see if Tommy Shelby gets a come up with these guns.

Only renowned show I haven't managed to get through so far is The Shield.

th3kid th3kid He has some good movies to watch mate. Blue Valentine was intense man. Crazy StupidLove was a fav of mine.
I think his best work was All Good Things with Reese Witherspoon, that story was deep man.
Fracture was his favorite of mine before All Good Things.

I'll look into All Good Things. I know the story of Fracture, but I definitely need to rewatch it. Good looks man.

I mean more of the genre. Like I said. Ben Hur or as someone mentioned above, Lawrence of Arabia. Like, a large scale adventure movie. I've never seen Titanic but that would be a good mention for a newer one.

I'm not more interested in three hour movies, I've just been thinking about them recently. And wondered where they've gone. I guess it's just a sign of the times. People don't want to see those types of movies right now.

Epics, IMO, are characterized by the Hero fighting for the nation in a Nation v Nation battle, the fate if the world is on his shoulders, pretty much the huge pan over belligerents scene. LOTR is the only one that seem like they're doing well. Others that have come out lately would be like Enders Game, Troy...and honestly that's all I can think of. It's a hard sell, modern audiences don't seem to into them.

When people say 'you haven't seen x? But it's so great.' I always reply 'there are millions of tv and film, it's impossible for me to catch every 'great x' so I just watch whatever peaks my fancy at the time, if its really that good, ill catch it next year or the year after, if your not still Raving about it then, prolly not that good to begin with'

Watching these movies that haven't got theater releases, few things I notice

A) they use a lot of voice overs, awkward noticeable
B) outside the main actors, side actors are usually pretty bad, especially kids
C) the technical aspects just miss the mark, the music will be cool, but noticeable, the editing off every once in a while, the lighting almost good...with some if them it's like, you're so close, just take these three scenes from different angles...

Watched The Other Woman last night with the wife. Other than the 50 or so death threats, and angry glares from her, I enjoyed the film. :lol: My man led a full life out there. I'm not a Cameron Diaz fan, but she did good in this one, and looked ok mostly. Leslie Mann I love, she was terrific. And Kate Upton......well, was glad to have her around. :lol:

This weekend I also started a new project. Going thru the Bond history. Started with Dr. No, and From Russia With Love. Very interesting to see how it all began. The music stood out to me the most, man that stuff was great. The plots, and stories and scenes were a little meh, but for 1960, I guess I have to understand the reason why.
I had, ZERO idea, that there were women that looked like that in the 60's. My God I was floored by a couple of them. They wear terrible clothes, and are covered pretty much head to toe usually, but you could still see what was goin on there. Man, Connery must have done WORK back then. :pimp:

Will try to keep getting 1-2 a week done leading up to Bond 24 next year.

Snowpiercer - Just  
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

22 Jump Street - Solid, met my expectations.

Obvious Child - Really good, I'm not a huge Jenny Slate fan but I enjoyed her performance.

I liked SnowPiercer. Good use of space, good acting...but that damn concept...and they never explain why a gaint train encircling the earth was a good idea, that just didn't make sense to me. Yea, it was the guys vision which explains why he wanted it, but why's everyone else say 'one train track to encircle the earth ad infinium...great idea'

Man I think Tilda Swinton is so damn sexy. I find her very very appealing, her attitude is hot. She ways picks good films. And in her real life she seems a dope hang.

Sleepers of hers to me: We Need to Talk About Kevin and Young Adam.

Favorite of hers to me: Beach (top 10 for me all time anyway)

I first saw her in The Beach and she didn't look bad. Would've gave her work like leo did.

Tilda Swinton looks exactly like I imagine a Modern German women would look like. Idk if she's even German.

Or a wood elf.

I'm going to go with this one. There's definitely something kind of non-human about the way she looks. Which is why she's perfect to play super icy, semi-crazy to crazy, characters.

Back
Top Bottom