Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

My top 10 films of 2015:

1. Spotlight

(No Order):
Mad Max
Star Wars
Sicario
Creed
Straight Outta Compton
It Follows
The Revenant
The Lobster
Anomalisa

Finally got around to What We Do In the Shadows. Good stuff.
roll.gif
Loved this movie.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Sicario was great! Just plain amazing. I loved it.

Benecio was the man. I wanted to stand up and clap when he got his revenge.

The whole story also took me back a bit to The Bridge with the whole Juarez conflict, CIA, local police, DEA, cartel kingpins, etc. They kept me on edge to start the way they just jumped in to the story and kept going and when you think they gonna slow down you see that wristband and it's on again.

7.7/8

My top 5 to top 10 is shaping out real well.

Really liking The Man In The High Castle, just about halfway done with the season.

Would rate the show .00372728495738294772884774 out of .0147372628494929002847477299587636461514349 so far.

I saw you've been talking about that.

You should've said it's that alternate history joint where Nazis rule the world :lol:

Had no idea what it was about from the title alone.

Never read the book so are all of the Jews and black ppl wiped out?

Last edited:
The low bass in Sicario had me on edge from jump. Loved it.

Wondering why we got a few that hated it tho?

I didn't so much hate it but it did not live up to my expectations.

I love Emily Blunt but her character's naivety became redundant & lowkey annoying.

Also, I wish the movie focused more on Benicio.

Son was with the ****s :pimp:

I didn't so much hate it but it did not live up to my expectations.

I love Emily Blunt but her character's naivety became redundant & lowkey annoying.

Also, I wish the movie focused more on Benicio.

Son was with the ****s :pimp:

ALL OF THIS!

Didn't hate it, just thought it was capable of so much more. Blunt had ZERO character transformation. Just naive and helpless the entire movie and I love her but yes it was very redundant. Could have been so much better with more Benicio wrecking ****. I still rate it very high though, don't get me wrong.

The Big Short was superb. It's a Best Picture type of movie, no doubt about it. My only gripe (if this is even considered a gripe) is that all the characters had such great performances that I wanted more from all of them. Like, I could have watched an entire movie based on JUST Brad Pitts character, or JUST Goslings character, etc. It was just brilliant from start to finish though. The type of movie that you learn a lot from but still stay entertained all the way through. 7.8/10

Saw Macbeth today. It was one of the last showings in the entire city. It's really good. Fassbender kills it.

I didn't mind Blunt's character being naive. I think they did it well. She wanted to do the right thing, she was by the book and willing to bend while her partner the lawyer was totally by the book and was only in it to support her.

I guess maybe the movie didn't do enough of a good job in the beginning to show you how by the book she was and how naive she was saying she'd volunteer for what's basically wild wild west in Mexico.

Plus I think the whole point was for her character not to transform. Benecio's character was the one that had already changed. He was an example of the worst she could become if she kept doing that work and suffered a tragedy. She held firm all the way until near the end. I think in many ways they were similar just at different parts in their life and the end is way Blunt's character stayed to her path.

I didn't get that either from some of the posts I've read.

I saw you've been talking about that.

You should've said it's that alternate history joint where Nazis rule the world :lol:

Had no idea what it was about from the title alone.

Never read the book so are all of the Jews and black ppl wiped out?

From what i've seen in the season so far, there are people who have had Jewish relatives and try their best to keep all of that hidden. There's a middle of the country "neutral zone" inbetween the Japanese west coast and the nazi east coast. That's where the majority of the black characters have been. I thought I saw a topless black prostitute in a san francisco scene but it might've just been someone really tan.

Oh okay. I wasn't sure about it when I saw promo for it before but I'll probably check this out when I have the time.

Last edited:
Watched the first episode of The Man In The High Castle. I'm in. Will probably finish it up before I start Narcos again.

Binge watched it last week. Really enjoyed it. The bad guys are way more interesting than the good guys (counting Joe as a good guy)

Last edited:
If I was Frank I would've lost my mind pretty fast. Juliana is gorgeous, would get deep in her as much as I could because you never know what tomorrow brings. She reminds me of Michelle Monaghan except with a buttchin.

Last edited:
The Martian was good.

Funny, heartfelt, and interesting but it was too long. All the movies I've been watching as of late have been at least 2 hrs and this is the first one I'm like damn they really padded this out to demonstrate what 500+ days on Mars is like. I got it but it left me feeling bored at certain moments. It'd be tough to try and re-watch this entire movie.

Also felt like the rest of the cast was wasted. Mara, Chastain, Pena did well but it's like damn this movie could've just been Matt Damon and not much would've changed. Chiwetel, Sean, and Jeff played enough of their parts.

I would say this was a good showing for Ridley Scott. Just a while back ppl were unsure on dude. Hope he keeps it consistent like this when he gets back to the Alien franchise.

6.5/8

Martian has been pretty universally well received on here. So, I'll have to put aside my Matt Damon aversion and check it out. Don't know exactly why, but I generally find him annoying. I recognize its irrational, but it is what it is.

The Martian is one of those movies that is better to watch at home than at the theaters. It seemed very relaxed in a lot of the parts.

movie was 100% style over substance 

they make a movie where the protagonist does nothing and has no character development to show how brutal the drug war is, not the direction I would choose but I'll stick with it

except after an entire movie of showing how terrible everything is, the climax (also the best part of the movie) completely ignores our main character and sensationalises everything they spent so much time condemning by turning del toro into an action star.

if they are going to make murder and revenge look cool then why not just focus the movie around del toro? would have been a way more exciting and entertaining movie.

If I was Frank I would've lost my mind pretty fast. Juliana is gorgeous, would get deep in her as much as I could because you never know what tomorrow brings. She reminds me of Michelle Monaghan except with a buttchin.

Yeah definitely a strong resemblance

I would say Frank did lose his mind :lol:

Martian has been pretty universally well received on here. So, I'll have to put aside my Matt Damon aversion and check it out. Don't know exactly why, but I generally find him annoying. I recognize its irrational, but it is what it is.
I thought ppl had more of the irrational dislike for Ben Affleck not Matt Damon.

Matts a pretty great actor.
movie was 100% style over substance
Oh I definitely disagree with that first statement. Sicario had substance.

if they are going to make murder and revenge look cool then why not just focus the movie around del toro? would have been a way more exciting and entertaining movie.
Cuz that wasn't the goal.

IMO, they were showing that this was coming no matter what. It's mentioned several times by Brolin's and Del Toro's characters. It's like a hurricane you can't prevent from happening. This is gong to be the new normal and this is how you fight it. I feel like all of the things said along the way in this movie exemplified that. Like the part where Blunt's character goes to her boss with her partner after seizing the money and he tells her the boundaries have been widened/lifted. What they're doing is legal and she want it to be that way word to Marlo. By the end she still doesn't willingly play ball.

Just like there's a hopelessness with the war on drugs, there's a hopelessness in dealing with the cartels the way you would deal with gangs or the mob in America, specifically because the cartels operate in another country yet what they do greatly affects America.

What Del Toro's character did was cool for my personal tastes but I did not get the message that they were saying murder and revenge is cool. That's why Del Toro wasn't the main character. He was more like this bogey man Blunt's character kept referring to. She knew he was more dangerous than other ppl let on.

To me, Blunt's character Kate was what Americans (the ppl or politicians) say they want to act with these problems and Del Toro's character represented what Americans need to do to address this problem if they want any real progress.

Brolin's character said it near the end, they're going back to one cartel controlling everything so they can stop the chaos and reestablish order until Americans stop doing drugs. That's how they stop the booby trapped houses and corpses stored in the walls growing at a larger rate when a police unit looking for kidnapped/missing ppl are doing their jobs.

Made sense that Kate's character didn't change and was forced to do something she was fundamentally against and did not want to accept. It's exactly like real life. Frustrating as ****. The movie would've been a farce if she built a case and got the members of the cartel arrested :lol:

Last edited:
it was 90% hopelessness which was intended of course

but the climax felt like I was watching john wick

what's the point of having a protagonist who (along with the audience) is kept in the dark for most of the movie only to break away from her and turn things into a cool action movie where we see everything as is? 

most people on NT and that I've talked to about this movie think del toro's character was really cool and they should have focused it on him. That just totally undercuts the core message they were trying to convey, we should not want to see more senseless glorified violence after a movie like this. 

Not a major problem but I would have liked to see one or two short scene's where we get more of an insight into kate's personal life, would have made the character more dynamic and relatable. 

movie is not trash by any means but I thought it was average at best 

Back
Top Bottom