Old-School Takedown Model Appreciation.

For those who don't know: A "takedown model" is a knock off  version of of an athletes signature shoe produced by the same brand, usually made with less technology and priced substantially lower.

For all I know Nike is still releasing some great takedown models for their current lineups, but I myself don't keep up with many new Nike releases.

Back in the day I remember many takedown models that were just as desirable as their respective signature.

Here are two that immediately come to my mind.

Nike Son of Glove - Sig. Model:Nike Zoom Flight '98 - Sig. Athlete: Gary Payton

I swear this is THE shoe that turned me into a sneaker addict. These shoes constantly elude me, every time I find a pair they are the wrong size, or more commonly they are beat to death. Not to mention those sellers who try to back out of a deal after they agree
mad.gif
. Sometimes I feel like Im "chasing the dragon"  so to speak and every shoe in my stash is only supplement for that pair of SOGs I never got as a kid.  Everyone and I mean EVERYONE I played basketball with in grade school had these... except me
frown.gif
.  I didnt even have an interest in the 98's, I wanted the SOGs. I liked the fact that there were so many colors to choose from especially the gradient versions
a5615e43aa564c0885c745bcaad4cee86186537.gif
. I never got those damn shoes, but I did start cutting grass the next summer and from that point on I could buy whatever I wanted.

Son of Glove

f_4805201_1.JPG

IMAG0638-570x380.jpg

Zoom Flight '98
nike_air_zoom_flight_98.jpg

Nike Beleive Flight - Sig. Model: Nike Air Zoom GP - Sig Athlete: Gary Payton

This was an example of an awesome TD. Leather used on these was just as good as the GPs. I also liked the Velcro closure because it weighed less and felt less bulky, but the lack of monkey paw made these feel much flimsier. IMO these were an amazing all purpose shoe, I would love to see these re-release so I could wear them daily. I thought these were better then the GP for outdoor ball because the out-sole was much more durable. The flimsy upper and ultra soft sock liner made these one of the comfortable "chillin shoes" ever.
Believe Flight
b_flight_wht_gry.jpg

Zoom GP
zoom_gp_wht_blk_5.jpg

What TD models do you remember?

What TD models did you own ?

Would you buy them again ?

Were you mad because your parents wouldn't buy you the sig model ?
laugh.gif
  Lets share some stories here. 

Air Way Up (which i have been waiting for)

nike-air-wayup_.jpg

hate to call them a "takedown", especially when many pro athletes wore em like Iverson in Gtown, i wanna say juwan howard, rasheed wallace, etc

Originally Posted by 40sicc3

hate to call them a "takedown", especially when many pro athletes wore em like Iverson in Gtown, i wanna say juwan howard, rasheed wallace, etc
been waiting for these joints as well... first saw them on Damon Stoudamire's feet during his Raptor days... then saw Rodman and Pip (?) with 'em as well... 

da last popular takedown model that i can remember EVERYWHERE like its was da hottest %!* was....

AAAADGwZ9lAAAAAAAD2txQ.jpg

NI307111-102_pict1_13_795_9823.jpg

those nike flight hops, take down of da VC IIIs

da BEST take down were...

nike-air-much-uptempo_.jpg

you had to get these when you couldn't afford...

nike-air-more-uptempo-retro.jpg

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
i used to call da much uptempos "da girl version of da more uptempo pippens"

I agree with all the pairs posted, esp the More and Much Uptempo and Glove and Son Of Glove.
I don't have pics but I also loved the Air Thrill Flight (the ones GP wore during '95-'96 season) the take down version of the Zoom Flight 95.
Good post
pimp.gif

Two oldies but goodies.

Nike Air Fight 89 - Sig model: Air-Jordan IV - Sig Athlete - Michael Jordan 

Air Jordan IV

12.jpg

Nike Vandal - Sig Model: Nike-Air Force I - Sig. Athletes:  Moses Malone, Jamaal Wilkes, Bobby Jones, Calvin Natt, Michael Cooper and Mychal Thompson.

Vandal
Nike%20Vandal%20High%20Supreme%20Cool%20Grey%20Red%20310067%20081.jpg

Air Force I
AF1-High-01-1.jpg

Don't have pics right now, but the Huarache 2k4 and the Air Total package.Maybe the Flightposite 1's and Air Solo Flights as well....

I'm with you on the Son of Gloves. I tried both on, and went with the Sons because they were more comfortable to me. The GP Zooms were just too stiff.

BUT, got to disagree with you on the Flight 89/Jordan IV. The Flights were NOT a take down, and were the flagship non-signature model Nike hoop shoe along with the Alpha/Delta Force. Gotta remember it wasn't like it is now, ONLY Mike wore Jordans back then. 89's were $95 compared to the AJIV's $110. Most take downs were significantly different in price, i.e. the SoG's were $79, to the Zoom GP's $130. I do recall the Flight series getting their own take downs around 91, when the Flight Lites came out. Nike issued the Sabre Flight, which was also a great shoe.

My favorite take downs were probably the Magnum Force 3/4, which were the lesser version of the Ballistic Force. They were like $65, were made of CRAZY soft/durable oiled nubuck, and had the softest cushioning of any Nike I've ever had. Only complaint I had about them was I do remember them running crazy small. Like a full size small, haha.

Peace,
J

Originally Posted by jshortt

I'm with you on the Son of Gloves. I tried both on, and went with the Sons because they were more comfortable to me. The GP Zooms were just too stiff.

BUT, got to disagree with you on the Flight 89/Jordan IV. The Flights were NOT a take down, and were the flagship non-signature model Nike hoop shoe along with the Alpha/Delta Force. Gotta remember it wasn't like it is now, ONLY Mike wore Jordans back then. 89's were $95 compared to the AJIV's $110. Most take downs were significantly different in price, i.e. the SoG's were $79, to the Zoom GP's $130. I do recall the Flight series getting their own take downs around 91, when the Flight Lites came out. Nike issued the Sabre Flight, which was also a great shoe.

My favorite take downs were probably the Magnum Force 3/4, which were the lesser version of the Ballistic Force. They were like $65, were made of CRAZY soft/durable oiled nubuck, and had the softest cushioning of any Nike I've ever had. Only complaint I had about them was I do remember them running crazy small. Like a full size small, haha.

Peace,
J
Good post.

The "Force" line had tons of take take downs. It was almost like a hierarchy, and I'm not sure I remember them all, but some were Nike Air and others were just Nike. At the top, you had the Air Delta Force, there was a Quantum Force, Driving Force was a lower end model. ...Probably several others I don't remember off the top of my head.

These 2 were real similar..... the Nike Air Force V and the Air Ultra Force. Force V's had the visible air unit while the Ultra Force did not.Same thing with the 1990 Air Solo Flights and the Air Flight (visible air unit).

Originally Posted by devildoc76

These 2 were real similar..... the Nike Air Force V and the Air Ultra Force. Force V's had the visible air unit while the Ultra Force did not.Same thing with the 1990 Air Solo Flights and the Air Flight (visible air unit).

Bingo on the Force V and Ultra Force.  That is the dictionary definition of a Nike take down.  Force V featured vis-air and only 2 cuts - High, and Low (which were really more of a mid).  The Ultra had SUPER similar detailing, but had a full foam midsole with the vis-air covered and came in high, a 3/4, and a true low.  Nike made sure to release most of the same colorways in both models, and if I recall correctly, the price points were $110 for the Force V high & $100 for low, while the Ultras were $75, $65, and $60.

And Bip, you're spot on about the Force line having an absolute TON of take downs.  It's always been that way for some reason and half of them, you could hardly tell apart - aside from some of the markings (tongue, etc.).

Peace,
   J

jshortt wrote:

Peace,
J

Good to know. I would have been basically a baby at the time they first released. Its really cool to be able to hear about the publics reception when these first came out
happy.gif
. I take it that in the late 80's Visible Air bubbles were such a new thing that any shoe with one was considered top of the line and just as desirable as the next ?

If you don't mind me asking... What are you thoughts on the Air-Revolution/Air-Jordan III ? I never really considered  the Rev's a takedown because they came out before the AJ3. That combined with a higher cut, that sweet achilles tongue and rubberized Velcro strap always made the Rev's feel like a much more expensive shoe. 

Spoiler [+]
Not to be rude but...

Zoom Gloves and Zoom GPs were both only 109 GP2s were 125 and the 3s were the first to break 130 at 135 I believe

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

jshortt wrote:

Peace,
J

Good to know. I would have been basically a baby at the time they first released. Its really cool to be able to hear about the publics reception when these first came out
happy.gif
. I take it that in the late 80's Visible Air bubbles were such a new thing that any shoe with one was considered top of the line and just as desirable as the next ?

If you don't mind me asking... What are you thoughts on the Air-Revolution/Air-Jordan III ? I never really considered  the Rev's a takedown because they came out before the AJ3. That combined with a higher cut, that sweet achilles tongue and rubberized Velcro strap always made the Rev's feel like a much more expensive shoe. 

You're pretty much right about the visible air bubbles.  With only a few exceptions, from about 1987-1992 Nike reserved that visible air for the tip-top of the line shoes for each sport, and the prices reflected that (Agassi Tech Challenge, Air Max runners, Air Jordan, flagship Flight shoe).  Almost without fail, vis-air = flagship, no vis-air = take down across the board.  A few of the flagship Force shoes during that timeframe had encapsulated air, and it wasn't until the Force V debuted in 1990 that the Force line had vis-air.  As far as desirability, for most people the Air Jordan was ALWAYS the pinnacle.  If you couldn't get the Jordan, anything else was a "take down" to you.  I remember plenty of arguments with my mom that went "you can have this ONE pair of Jordans or you can have TWO pairs of these Flights/Forces."  The social status of the Air Jordan always won out for me.  Of course looking back on it now, I passed up a LOT of classics for the one pair of Jordans, haha.

Revolutions are DEFINITELY not a take down.  They were THE first basketball shoe to feature vis-air, and were extraordinarily expensive for their time.  Still remember the ad campaign for those, and the controversy surrounding the use of The Beatles' "Revolution" in the commercial.  The Jordan III was kinda groundbreaking in itself, as it was the first 3/4 cut, or "mid" hoop shoe.  This falls under the same umbrella of the Flight 89/Jordan IV argument, though.  At this point in time, you almost have to just take the Air Jordan out of the mix entirely.  They were the flagship of flagships, and only one person in the league wore them, aka they weren't available to other professional Nike athletes.  That being the case, Nike had to produce something for their other elite athletes to wear.  So, they use the same high-end Air technology (which was all designed by the same person anyway), then simply change the design of the shoe's upper, and offer them to everybody NOT named MJ, haha. 

You got me on the GP price point.  I thought for sure I remembered those being in the $125-130 range.  Were the Son of Gloves more like $70, then?  I was thinking there was more of a price discrepency in those two.

Peace,
   J

Oh how I hated the SOG's.  One man's personal preference, but I enjoyed the Zoom Gloves like a mofo.......a
Anyhow..... Not really a takedown, but more like an affordable alternative(same thing really).... Saw these when were watching re-runs of Living Single and Overton had them on when he was helping Queen Latifah take on Cheryl Miller. Knew they had these at Mervyn's and at Just For Feet.

Basic-Original-Basketball-blackwhite--True-Red-130196-001-130196-111-1large.jpg

PHO-10Dec20-277973.jpg

The solo flights were an embarrassment to Nike. SOG and Flight 98 may be best choice

I remember having these to play ball in that season, I spent more time adjusting my laces so my tongues would stop sliding down more than anything
b_flight_wht_gry.jpg

But I loved these, wore em til i literally had a hole in the toe and my sock was coming through the bottom:

IMAG0638-570x380.jpg

pimp.gif

Now Nike is charging signature prices for take down model technology. My how things have changed.
----------------

Nike was king at introducing and pushing out shoes for all levels of income.

Some of my favorites:
Back when these released, I was beyond take down. I was taking it back to Payless shoe generics. But I can still appreciate them

Signature:
Air Trainer High - Retail I believe was around $110

Air-Trainer-High-medium-Grey-6494-1large.jpg

Non air take down.. Like 3rd or 4th tier.
Cross Trainer High
Cross-Trainer-High-cosmic-Blue--Green-6478-6477-1large.jpg

---------------------
Signature: Air Trainer SC High I
Air-Trainer-Sc-medicine-Ball-6806-1large.jpg

Takedown (of sorts)
Air Cross Trainer

Air-Cross-Trainer-High-graphite--Regal-Blue-6500-6501-1large.jpg

-------------

Signature:
Air Trainer SC High II
Air-Trainer-Sc-High-firecracker-Red-6812-1large.jpg

Takedown:
Air Cross Trainer High
Air-Cross-Trainer-High-neo-Turquoise--Light-Zane-Grey-6482-6483-1large.jpg

-------------------------------

Signature:
Air Trainer SC High III
Air-Trainer-Sc-High-royal-Blue--Infrared-6822-6823-1large.jpg

Takedown: Air Cross Trainer III i believe:
Air-Cross-Trainer-High-white-black--White-infrared-6890-6891-1large.jpg

---------------------
Signature:
Air Trainer E High
Air-Trainer-E-High-bright-Pink--Persian-Violet-174002-110-174002-111-1large.jpg

Takedown:
Air Cross Trainer High
Air-Cross-Trainer-High-kiwi--Night-Sky-173000-100-173000-101-1large.jpg

-------

That's just the tip of the iceberg. There were also LOWs which had three-four tiers of models..  Lots of variety used to get released. I fear for the future.

^Nice!!!! I remember having those Air Cross Trainers, because the SC I was out of our price range. Jr high was unforgiving at that time.

Originally Posted by 940sicc3

nike-air-wayup_.jpg

Man for me PERSONALLY these are the illest "takedown" joints and a retro needs to happen like yesterday.

I never knew this. I always wondered why some of Nike's BB shoes looked so similar to other ones with a significantly lower price. Very informative post OP, kudos.

This thread
pimp.gif
. If you have that book Sole Provider By Scoop Jackson, they're all in there. It's in the back of the book and it goes year by year since the mid 70's, at least for basketball sneakers. I love that book.

Great thread - brings back a lot of memories. I remember having convos with friends back in the day about the differences between the similar shoes and not knowing why they priced so differently. As someone said earlier, Nike is/was the KING of making sure all income levels could get in on the action. Getting these "takedowns" was a way to not feel so bad back then because you couldn't get/afford the ultimate status symbol back then....Air Jordan's.

Back
Top Bottom