Older NTers: What do you feel sucks more today compared to 20 years ago: music or movies?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

for instance, drum and bass a very modern form of music and I love it.

Even drum and bass fell off though. I used to be in to that for a minute and it all started sounding the same. If you want a VERY good mix Anton, check this out...

http://www.amazon.com/Sec...ence-DJ-Db/dp/B00005LPY3

I'm gonna say music. It's gotten so bad that I'm that old guy that listens to sports talk radio most of the time. I can only play my library of music from the 90s for so long before I get tired of it.

for instance, drum and bass a very modern form of music and I love it.

Even drum and bass fell off though. I used to be in to that for a minute and it all started sounding the same. If you want a VERY good mix Anton, check this out...

I'm gonna say music. It's gotten so bad that I'm that old guy that listens to sports talk radio most of the time. I can only play my library of music from the 90s for so long before I get tired of it.

And I honestly believe the video game industry has gone down as well, but not as drastic as music...Even though technology has gotten better video games are still not as good as they were years ago..

I think the games from the last generation (PS2/Xbox 1) would be better if they had today's graphics and online play. But games from way back, like 20 years ago certainly aren't better.

The older you get the more likely you are to hate new music. I always keep an open mind to these things, for instance /drum and bass a very modern form of music and I love it. ]

Nostalgia makes people unfairly judge new experiences based on the past.

I see what you're saying, but the music of today really is horrible. And it's not because I automatically hate it just because it's new. It's because it sounds horrible. Good music is timeless. When I was little and heard stuff like The Beatles, Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, I thought it was amazing music even though it was made long before I was born.

And I honestly believe the video game industry has gone down as well, but not as drastic as music...Even though technology has gotten better video games are still not as good as they were years ago..

I think the games from the last generation (PS2/Xbox 1) would be better if they had today's graphics and online play. But games from way back, like 20 years ago certainly aren't better.

The older you get the more likely you are to hate new music. I always keep an open mind to these things, for instance /drum and bass a very modern form of music and I love it. ]

I see what you're saying, but the music of today really is horrible. And it's not because I automatically hate it just because it's new. It's because it sounds horrible. Good music is timeless. When I was little and heard stuff like The Beatles, Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, I thought it was amazing music even though it was made long before I was born.

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

Popular music is trash. It was trash 20 years ago and its still trash today. If you've heard so much of a genre of music it all starts to sound the same, I think that's why I love technical death metal. Any music that switches tempo and riffs so often can never get repetitive.
laugh.gif
I will say though, rly old music blues, jazz and classical are way more cerebral than modern music. And artists that try to emulate it are mostly obscure.

Today's movies are pretty good IMO. Sure, there is a lot of crap out there, 20 years ago there was just as much crap. Every now and then we get some genius.

Music is what it is. It all boils down to WHY people like the music that they do. If people understand that, everything else will make sense.

Today's movies are pretty good IMO. Sure, there is a lot of crap out there, 20 years ago there was just as much crap. Every now and then we get some genius.

Music is what it is. It all boils down to WHY people like the music that they do. If people understand that, everything else will make sense.

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

Popular music is trash. It was trash 20 years ago and its still trash today. If you've heard so much of a genre of music it all starts to sound the same, I think that's why I love technical death metal. Any music that switches tempo and riffs so often can never get repetitive.
laugh.gif
I will say though, rly old music blues, jazz and classical are way more cerebral than modern music. And artists that try to emulate it are mostly obscure.

Originally Posted by Ghenges

Basically what I was tryna say in a nutshell
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

My first thought was movies hands down... we don't even have an action movie genre or action stars anymore. Then the quality urban movies, hell happen to them? I will say comedy has stayed afloat for the most part. But ery other movie is in 3d and in actuality it really does nothing to make the flick more appealing to me in most cases so I feel that's another knock on the movie industry.

Like others have said music has taken a big hit but its still good stuff out there u just gotta go find it. I never would have thought I would have been such an advocate for the underground music scene but in these times it really helps if u love music.

My first thought was movies hands down... we don't even have an action movie genre or action stars anymore. Then the quality urban movies, hell happen to them? I will say comedy has stayed afloat for the most part. But ery other movie is in 3d and in actuality it really does nothing to make the flick more appealing to me in most cases so I feel that's another knock on the movie industry.

Like others have said music has taken a big hit but its still good stuff out there u just gotta go find it. I never would have thought I would have been such an advocate for the underground music scene but in these times it really helps if u love music.

But like dude said, we don't even have action movies anymore. I was listening to a Bill Simmons podcast about hollywood and the guy he was talking to made a good point, after Arnold and Stallone, there hasn't been that guy who can "carry the gun." We don't even have action stars...

Remember you used to have to be brolic to be the lead in an action movie and believable as the tough guy. Now we got +**!%# like Adrien Brody kicking the Predators $%$...
30t6p3b.gif

predators4.jpg

Can you imagine dude in the OG Predator? He would've been the dude with the glasses telling jokes in the helicopter.

But like dude said, we don't even have action movies anymore. I was listening to a Bill Simmons podcast about hollywood and the guy he was talking to made a good point, after Arnold and Stallone, there hasn't been that guy who can "carry the gun." We don't even have action stars...

Remember you used to have to be brolic to be the lead in an action movie and believable as the tough guy. Now we got +**!%# like Adrien Brody kicking the Predators $%$...
30t6p3b.gif

predators4.jpg

Can you imagine dude in the OG Predator? He would've been the dude with the glasses telling jokes in the helicopter.

laugh.gif

stop-or-my-mom-will-shoot-original.jpg

470802.1020.A.jpg

These are not made up.  These are actual movies from the early 90s that made it to the big screen. 

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

stop-or-my-mom-will-shoot-original.jpg

470802.1020.A.jpg

These are not made up.  These are actual movies from the early 90s that made it to the big screen. 

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Clearly music.

When people say "Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper ever", and Kanye West's last album is the best album to drop in the last
5 years", something is VERY wrong. 
30t6p3b.gif

Clearly music.

When people say "Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper ever", and Kanye West's last album is the best album to drop in the last
5 years", something is VERY wrong. 
30t6p3b.gif

What rly sucks today: The economy, gas prices, leadership
30t6p3b.gif

It is a hard choice but id def imho say visual entertainment. their isnt any progression in the tv/movie genre. Just look at the previous decade. 90% of the top grossing movies were remakes,reissued,variations of older movies. I mean lets see...

Spiderman/batman/xmen/charlies angels/star wars/ateam/gi joe/mission impossible/terminator/willy wonka/the longest yard/ etc and so on. Then tv shows are basically the same concepts as well. either that or reality tv and even those mostly are variations of the same thing ie.. ray j love/flava of love/i love ny/ all the singing shows/talent shows aka star search. Not including the 50 million same concept judge/cooking/single rich woman famous for being famous looking for love shows.

Music however has made progression. Ppl are going off what they like as oppose to the variety of music esp in hip hop. Back in the day it was pretty much the same ole same particularly east coast and west coast. Whether you like artist like waka,jezzy,wayne,piles etc they are all different and bring something different to the table. Same with alot of rock artist etc. Their is much more variety now then ever. Granted it may not all be good and you may not like it but regardless their still is that variety of choices.

When i decide to listen to music now esp with hip hop you have a myraid, a buffet if you will of many different choices. Back then it pretty much was the same. I mean their isnt much diff in a jadakiss or a fabolous, or a busta rhymes. Now i can say humm jayz, lil jon, the game, ugk, kayne west, outkast, swisha house, or waka flocka. i now can go and say hey umm babyface, jamie foxx, beyonce, bilal, maxwell, sade, chris brown. Granted like i said before you may think alot of the choices are wack but end of the day they are all different.

Their isnt much difference in housewives of ny/ga/nj/ca etc. Batman is still batman, yea special effects etc but end of the day its still batman, the hulk is still the hulk, transformers now is the same as it was in the 80's minus the effects.

Hollywood and visual entertainment in general are at a dead end, I mean i cant recall the last og concept major hit movie, hell i cant recall a og movie in maybe the last 10 years outside of pixar/disney. And even a majority of those are remakes of 70's 80's just new rendering/effects. When was the last time you saw a new concept tv show? What was the last big hit tv show that wasnt a reality show and pretty much a spinoff variation of another reality show?

Yea there is tons of new music out there that sucks, but atleast there is tons of music out there. Unlike movies and tv where all I have is 100 million variations/remakes of the same, with a 3d here, a new cast there, a added special effect so on and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom