Older NTers: What do you feel sucks more today compared to 20 years ago: music or movies?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

The older you get the more likely you are to hate new music. I always keep an open mind to these things, for instance /drum and bass a very modern form of music and I love it. ]

Nostalgia makes people unfairly judge new experiences based on the past.

What rly sucks today: The economy, gas prices, leadership
30t6p3b.gif

It is a hard choice but id def imho say visual entertainment. their isnt any progression in the tv/movie genre. Just look at the previous decade. 90% of the top grossing movies were remakes,reissued,variations of older movies. I mean lets see...

Spiderman/batman/xmen/charlies angels/star wars/ateam/gi joe/mission impossible/terminator/willy wonka/the longest yard/ etc and so on. Then tv shows are basically the same concepts as well. either that or reality tv and even those mostly are variations of the same thing ie.. ray j love/flava of love/i love ny/ all the singing shows/talent shows aka star search. Not including the 50 million same concept judge/cooking/single rich woman famous for being famous looking for love shows.

Music however has made progression. Ppl are going off what they like as oppose to the variety of music esp in hip hop. Back in the day it was pretty much the same ole same particularly east coast and west coast. Whether you like artist like waka,jezzy,wayne,piles etc they are all different and bring something different to the table. Same with alot of rock artist etc. Their is much more variety now then ever. Granted it may not all be good and you may not like it but regardless their still is that variety of choices.

When i decide to listen to music now esp with hip hop you have a myraid, a buffet if you will of many different choices. Back then it pretty much was the same. I mean their isnt much diff in a jadakiss or a fabolous, or a busta rhymes. Now i can say humm jayz, lil jon, the game, ugk, kayne west, outkast, swisha house, or waka flocka. i now can go and say hey umm babyface, jamie foxx, beyonce, bilal, maxwell, sade, chris brown. Granted like i said before you may think alot of the choices are wack but end of the day they are all different.

Their isnt much difference in housewives of ny/ga/nj/ca etc. Batman is still batman, yea special effects etc but end of the day its still batman, the hulk is still the hulk, transformers now is the same as it was in the 80's minus the effects.

Hollywood and visual entertainment in general are at a dead end, I mean i cant recall the last og concept major hit movie, hell i cant recall a og movie in maybe the last 10 years outside of pixar/disney. And even a majority of those are remakes of 70's 80's just new rendering/effects. When was the last time you saw a new concept tv show? What was the last big hit tv show that wasnt a reality show and pretty much a spinoff variation of another reality show?

Yea there is tons of new music out there that sucks, but atleast there is tons of music out there. Unlike movies and tv where all I have is 100 million variations/remakes of the same, with a 3d here, a new cast there, a added special effect so on and so forth.

Originally Posted by Ghenges

Today's movies are pretty good IMO. Sure, there is a lot of crap out there, 20 years ago there was just as much crap. Every now and then we get some genius.

Music is what it is. It all boils down to WHY people like the music that they do. If people understand that, everything else will make sense.

Basically what I was tryna say in a nutshell
laugh.gif

stop-or-my-mom-will-shoot-original.jpg

470802.1020.A.jpg

These are not made up.  These are actual movies from the early 90s that made it to the big screen. 

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Be that as it may, still: The 15 best movies made in the first half of the 90s > All the movies made since 2000 combined.

Today's movies are pretty good IMO. Sure, there is a lot of crap out there, 20 years ago there was just as much crap. Every now and then we get some genius.

Music is what it is. It all boils down to WHY people like the music that they do. If people understand that, everything else will make sense.

laugh.gif

stop-or-my-mom-will-shoot-original.jpg

470802.1020.A.jpg

These are not made up.  These are actual movies from the early 90s that made it to the big screen. 

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Be that as it may, still: The 15 best movies made in the first half of the 90s > All the movies made since 2000 combined.

^^^^Son, Genghes you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

My boy and I were discussing it. If it weren't for the nostalgic feeling we get from watching 80s actions movies most of them are TRASH. Straight basura.
laugh.gif

Good 80s and 90s actions films are a gem, but a lot of it was terrible. People don't make actions films like they did in the past and Chuck Norris, Arnold, Segal and Van Damme films are appreciated. Action movies evolved past individual heroes and became more about effects, explosions, shock and awe. Some of it is good, and some of it is terrible. I don't enjoy cinema like I used to because I've so much of it
sick.gif
and I'm very difficult to impress. I'm not old by any means but I can see how getting older someone could think everything new sucks.

BDW everything Spielberg is gold...I saw Super 8 last night.
pimp.gif

^^^^Son, Genghes you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

My boy and I were discussing it. If it weren't for the nostalgic feeling we get from watching 80s actions movies most of them are TRASH. Straight basura.
laugh.gif

Good 80s and 90s actions films are a gem, but a lot of it was terrible. People don't make actions films like they did in the past and Chuck Norris, Arnold, Segal and Van Damme films are appreciated. Action movies evolved past individual heroes and became more about effects, explosions, shock and awe. Some of it is good, and some of it is terrible. I don't enjoy cinema like I used to because I've so much of it
sick.gif
and I'm very difficult to impress. I'm not old by any means but I can see how getting older someone could think everything new sucks.

BDW everything Spielberg is gold...I saw Super 8 last night.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by cmoneymontana

Clearly music.

When people say "Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper ever", and Kanye West's last album is the best album to drop in the last
5 years", something is VERY wrong. 
30t6p3b.gif

This,

I'm not that old, but have watched old movies and have listened to music from the 80's and 90's.

It's Music, and it's not even close.

Originally Posted by cmoneymontana

Clearly music.

When people say "Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper ever", and Kanye West's last album is the best album to drop in the last
5 years", something is VERY wrong. 
30t6p3b.gif

This,

I'm not that old, but have watched old movies and have listened to music from the 80's and 90's.

It's Music, and it's not even close.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif

It's all subjective but it'd be interesting to hear what you think are the best 15 movies from 1990 - 1995. 

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif

It's all subjective but it'd be interesting to hear what you think are the best 15 movies from 1990 - 1995. 

Not even close, music. Everybody wants to be a 'ringtone' artist nowadays, aka, dumbed down lyrics, just making music that is catchy.

Either way though, at the end of the day, we're fortunate. With the internet and all, we're exposed to so much music. Our horizons are broadened. As a result, we can pick and choose what we want to put on our iPods, play on Youtube, etc.

Not even close, music. Everybody wants to be a 'ringtone' artist nowadays, aka, dumbed down lyrics, just making music that is catchy.

Either way though, at the end of the day, we're fortunate. With the internet and all, we're exposed to so much music. Our horizons are broadened. As a result, we can pick and choose what we want to put on our iPods, play on Youtube, etc.

Very subjective....i had to take a look at IMDB top 20 to prove my point

2000s
City of God
Matrix (not my fave but a classic scifi movie nontheless)
memento
Kill bill, Inglorious Basterds
Hotel rwanda
in bruges
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

v for vendetta
pans labryinth
pimp.gif

13 assassins
no country for old men
the harry potter series
comic book movies: Batman beyond/dark knight
pimp.gif
, iron man
pimp.gif
, xmen: first class
pimp.gif
, hulk
pimp.gif

Just throwing some names out there

which movies from the 90s are that much better than these. There are just as many great movies from the 90s but the 2000s had some gems.

Someone mentioned TV shows, I actually think TV shows have been much better in the 2000s...again very subjective
Family guy
Boardwalk empire
Rome
Spartacus
True Blood
pimp.gif

Breaking Bad
Futurama
game of thrones
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'll post more if I think of them

Very subjective....i had to take a look at IMDB top 20 to prove my point

2000s
City of God
Matrix (not my fave but a classic scifi movie nontheless)
memento
Kill bill, Inglorious Basterds
Hotel rwanda
in bruges
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

v for vendetta
pans labryinth
pimp.gif

13 assassins
no country for old men
the harry potter series
comic book movies: Batman beyond/dark knight
pimp.gif
, iron man
pimp.gif
, xmen: first class
pimp.gif
, hulk
pimp.gif

Just throwing some names out there

which movies from the 90s are that much better than these. There are just as many great movies from the 90s but the 2000s had some gems.

Someone mentioned TV shows, I actually think TV shows have been much better in the 2000s...again very subjective
Family guy
Boardwalk empire
Rome
Spartacus
True Blood
pimp.gif

Breaking Bad
Futurama
game of thrones
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'll post more if I think of them

I know NT is going to hate me for citing Wale, but he has a song called "The Perfect Plan" that kind of outlines the real problem with rap music... and it's the fans. If we, as fans, don't support the good music (i.e. pay for the material as opposed to steal it) then it'll constantly be put on the mainstream back burner in favor for this crap we're force fed on the radio and TV.

I know NT is going to hate me for citing Wale, but he has a song called "The Perfect Plan" that kind of outlines the real problem with rap music... and it's the fans. If we, as fans, don't support the good music (i.e. pay for the material as opposed to steal it) then it'll constantly be put on the mainstream back burner in favor for this crap we're force fed on the radio and TV.

Finding good movies is like finding good music. There are still good, unique movies and music being made, but they're all independent/underground. It's just hard to find a reputable source for finding these things. I mean, do we have any sites/blogs we'd recommend for finding good independent movies and music? Most of the blogs I hear of are flooded: they allow too much to pass through the cracks and claim they're "supporting" independent acts by shoving crap in our face, are commercialized and give disproportionate promotion to acts that pay to get exposed (a common problem with the radio), or they promote people they're close to who are actually making crappy product but receive support just because they're from the same city or online group...

Finding good movies is like finding good music. There are still good, unique movies and music being made, but they're all independent/underground. It's just hard to find a reputable source for finding these things. I mean, do we have any sites/blogs we'd recommend for finding good independent movies and music? Most of the blogs I hear of are flooded: they allow too much to pass through the cracks and claim they're "supporting" independent acts by shoving crap in our face, are commercialized and give disproportionate promotion to acts that pay to get exposed (a common problem with the radio), or they promote people they're close to who are actually making crappy product but receive support just because they're from the same city or online group...

Music by far.  Classic movies are still made every year.  You just have to deal with a lot of crap too.  To the person who said television, television's at an all time high the past decade or so:
Wire

Sopranos

Breaking Bad

Mad men

Arrested Development

Boardwalk Empire

Extras

Curb

Louie

Always Sunny

Friday Night Lights

Dexter

etc.

They didn't have television like this 20 years ago except for save the Simpsons

Music by far.  Classic movies are still made every year.  You just have to deal with a lot of crap too.  To the person who said television, television's at an all time high the past decade or so:
Wire

Sopranos

Breaking Bad

Mad men

Arrested Development

Boardwalk Empire

Extras

Curb

Louie

Always Sunny

Friday Night Lights

Dexter