Reports: Olympian Pistorius shoots dead his girlfriend

Damn, R.I.P.

How bad are the burglaries in SA that would make someone so trigger happy? So much so that this idiot thought it would be a viable excuse. To be honest, I'd bang on a burglar too, but only after I was sure. The dudes killing there loved ones shooting blindly out of fear, smh. 

dude, it's really bad, like really really bad...

nike5.jpg
Ironic this is

Someone on the radio said he was mad she got him slippers for V-Day

So wrong but I chuckled

He is also the poster-child for South Africa right now. Being disabled, coming back and winning an gold medal for his country. Once he starts living in Zurich or somewhere, his brand, and identity will not be the same. It will be like Lance Armstrong at the height of his cycling career living in Helsinki all that time. It just wouldn't be the same.

Nonsense. You can represent a country and be based elsewhere - happens all the time for training facilities or weather.

(And you know Lance Armstrong was based in Girona, Spain among other places when he was "winning" right?)

I stand corrected.

40 murders a day in South Africa? 
sick.gif

Cape Town used to be 50 a day. Mostly on the outskirts of town in drug-infested area, figures have dropped. Ross Kemp on Gangs did a good expose on the drugs & street gangs (which accounted for most of those murders) a few years ago.

I don't understand all this he should've moved talk.  Dude lives in a gated community--it isn't like he's posted up in the hood.  :lol:

You can get got ANYWHERE--even gated communities.  

How's your quality of living if u have to keep a machine gun at your bedroom window in that gated community? No joke, there are probably hoods around the world safer than that.

Last edited:
and to think mods were banning people over this scumbag when that Jordan inspired logo was posted on here 
eyes.gif

Again, no details are known.

But let's say a dark place, shadow or sound of someone in a certain area? Best believe that clip is getting emptied. Don't know why the number of shots is shocking people.

I don't understand all this he should've moved talk.  Dude lives in a gated community--it isn't like he's posted up in the hood.  :lol:

You can get got ANYWHERE--even gated communities.  

How's your quality of living if u have to keep a machine gun at your bedroom window in that gated community? No joke, there are probably hoods around the world safer than that.

You sound foolish as hell right now. Quality of life has nothing to do with keeping weapons in the crib. So you mean to tell me millionaires around the globe that keep firearms next to the bed have poor quality of life? What about poor folks that don't? Is their quality of life better than the rich dude with guns?

You really can't fathom someone keeping a piece in the bedside stand AND having good quality of life? You can't grasp that any neighborhood, and anyone in said neighborhood, could fall victim to crime?

So tell me. Where should dude move to so he'll be impervious to crime.....guaranteed?

:smh:

On Vday though? This chick at the end of this ESPN article said it best IMO:

"The question is: Why does this story make the news? Yes, because they are both celebrities, but this is happening on every single day in South Africa," said Adele Kirsten, a member of Gun Free South Africa. "We have thousands of people killed annually by gun violence in our country. So the anger is about that it is preventable."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_...ius-charged-murder-girlfriend-reeva-steenkamp

as others have said, something about this story doesn't seem right.

i've read quotes from Pistorius where he says that he's been awoken at night and goes to check it out with his gun.

what kind of girlfriend, who obviously knows her boyfriend has reacted this way, would try to sneak into his house in the early morning?

i've read quotes from Pistorius where he says that he's been awoken at night and goes to check it out with his gun.

what kind of girlfriend, who obviously knows her boyfriend has reacted this way, would try to sneak into his house in the early morning?

She was a blonde model. You're giving her too much credit. RIP tho

Exactly, what girlfriend is sneaking into her boyfriends house? Does that make sense to you?
That man shot her 4 times, that burglary mess isn't flying

You sound foolish as hell right now. Quality of life has nothing to do with keeping weapons in the crib. So you mean to tell me millionaires around the globe that keep firearms next to the bed have poor quality of life? What about poor folks that don't? Is their quality of life better than the rich dude with guns?

You really can't fathom someone keeping a piece in the bedside stand AND having good quality of life? You can't grasp that any neighborhood, and anyone in said neighborhood, could fall victim to crime?

So tell me. Where should dude move to so he'll be impervious to crime.....guaranteed?

You're doing a GREAT job of reading what you want to read. I NEVER said anything was strange about him having a glock by his bed...however, if you're in a gated community and have to keep a machine gun by your ******g window, something ain't adding up. Dude was paranoid beyond belief and that was evident with his washing machine tweet. You know the statistics of the crime rates in his city...there are PLENTY of places to live around around the world where you wouldn't have to go to the lengths that he did to keep safe. Stop being naive.

*edit*

Pistorius lives in Pretoria, which was recently named one of the most dangerous places in the country when it comes to house robberies.

A recent report named the city as one of the top 20 most dangerous and violent areas to live in.

From Deadspin

Link

Last edited:
I'll admit I though pistorius was the Olympic event he won gold in and it was a pistol competition.... Damn dyslexia....

Last edited:
no matter which way you cut it, there's should be no tolerance for such foolishness.

Throw the book at em. mistake or not, total recklessness on his part.

but then again, i want to be sympathetic to the situation, cuz what if it were a real threat? I'm sure if it was anyone of us in that type of situation, the adrenaline would be pumping and thoughts racing.

But still... the incident happen during daylight hours and he couldnt tell it was his gf before pulling the trigger?

Last edited:

You're doing a GREAT job of reading what you want to read. I NEVER said anything was strange about him having a glock by his bed...however, if you're in a gated community and have to keep a machine gun by your ******g window, something ain't adding up. Dude was paranoid beyond belief and that was evident with his washing machine tweet. You know the statistics of the crime rates in his city...there are PLENTY of places to live around around the world where you wouldn't have to go to the lengths that he did to keep safe. Stop being naive.

*edit*
Pistorius lives in Pretoria, which was recently named one of the most dangerous places in the country when it comes to house robberies.

A recent report named the city as one of the top 20 most dangerous and violent areas to live in.
From Deadspin

Link
Yes, we know the city is dangerous.  That has already been noted and well documented.  Like I said though, the guy isn't living in the slums.  He lives in an upscale, gated community where I'd wager that crime rates aren't as high as the non-gated communities.  But that doesn't mean you aren't prepared.  And being prepared doesn't mean that your quality of life sucks.  It just means that you're aware of the very real possibility that you could be a victim.  I don't see how it doesn't add up.   

Also consider that South Africans are very proud people.  A lot of folks I kicked it with in college were dudes from SA, Senegal, Nigeria, etc.  Those dudes left home and came to the states for their education.  But they all went back home when they were done--every single one of them.  They couldn't wait to get back and help their country.  There's a cultural difference there between Americans and Africans that you're not taking into account.  To make it to the level he made it to and then leave?  And he went to college in Pretoria?  Naw man--from what I've seen, that's not something they tend to do over there.  Sometimes it isn't as simple as "just move away".  

Yes, we know the city is dangerous.  That has already been noted and well documented.  Like I said though, the guy isn't living in the slums.  He lives in an upscale, gated community where I'd wager that crime rates aren't as high as the non-gated communities.  But that doesn't mean you aren't prepared.  And being prepared doesn't mean that your quality of life sucks.  It just means that you're aware of the very real possibility that you could be a victim.  I don't see how it doesn't add up.   

Also consider that South Africans are very proud people.  A lot of folks I kicked it with in college were dudes from SA, Senegal, Nigeria, etc.  Those dudes left home and came to the states for their education.  But they all went back home when they were done--every single one of them.  They couldn't wait to get back and help their country.  There's a cultural difference there between Americans and Africans that you're not taking into account.  To make it to the level he made it to and then leave?  And he went to college in Pretoria?  Naw man--from what I've seen, that's not something they tend to do over there.  Sometimes it isn't as simple as "just move away".  

1. Crime is widespread over there. Houses in gated communities with electric fences get robbed all the time. They throw carpets over the fence and hop right in. A "Safe" neighborhood relative to the worst neighborhoods in SA is still not safe. Put it like this, I've been living middle class in the DMV for the last 28 years and have maybe a handful of robbery stories from friends and family. Over there, damn near every member of my family has a story. Multiple for some of them. Carjackings, getting robbed in broad daylight on the beach, robbed waiting on the bus for work, home invasions, it all happens. My aunt has bars on the inside of her bedroom door like a damn jail cell in case jackers come in at night, and she lives in a "good" neighborhood. You'd look crazy if you had that anywhere here in the states. It's real out there man, there's a reason dude was so nervous.

2. You're kinda right, It's definitely partly a pride/culture thing, but honestly I think a big part of it is just people being creatures of habit. You wanna be around what you know. As much as people talk down the US government, especially during the recession and GW years, you don't see a whole lot of them heading to Europe or Canada or Africa. From the outside looking in he's a dummy for not leaving. I tell my family over there all the time they should consider moving, but to them it's nothing because it's what they know, they're accustomed to it. I have fam that left and never went back (parents, aunt, uncles, grandmother, cousins), but everybody isn't always bold enough to make that move.

3. Having said all that, I'm still not believing his burglar story for a second.

Back
Top Bottom