RFID chips now in clothing. (Big Brother working overtime)

Way back in like 95-96 when I first started to get online and was into hacking sites and "inside information" sites I read about Rfid. How this was the last step before embedding people and newborns with these chips to monitor people and keep them inline sort of speak. I never really 100% believed it.

Until just now I got an alert from slickdeals about a ralph lauren sale on dillards.com. I'm about to place an order and wanted to see there return policy. This is what I found. But first I will post the definition of RFID.

space_528x4.GIF

Frequently Asked Questions About RFID
Q. What is RFID?
A. Radio Frequency IDentification is an automatic data capture technology that uses tiny tracking chips affixed to products. These tiny chips can be used to track items at a distance--right through someone's purse, backpack, or wallet. Many of the world's largest manufacturing companies would like to replace the bar code with these "spy chips," meaning that virtually every item on the planet--and the people wearing and carrying those items--could be remotely tracked. There is currently NO REGULATION protecting consumers from abuse of this technology

For those that call duck tales. Here is the link, or goto the faq section on dillards.com. Walmart has been doing this since June apparently here in NY.
eek.gif

http://www.dillards.com/faq/FaqStartServlet#23

[h3]Radio Frequency Identification[/h3] [h3]Q. What is RFID?[/h3]
A. Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is a method of using radio waves to communicate information about products. RFID systems can collect data about a product quickly, with reduced human error. An RFID/EPC (Electronic Product Code) tag consists of an antenna connected to a microchip that contains information about the product and can be placed on a product. This tag can then transmit its product information (EPC) back to a reader. The reader converts the radio wave into digital information that is interpreted by computers.

[h3]Q. How does an RFID system work?[/h3]
A. An RFID system contains a tag and a reader with an antenna. The reader sends out a low powered electromagnetic wave (radio wave). The tag receives the wave and uses the power from the wave to activate its microchip. The microchip adds the tag’s unique information to the wave and sends it back to the reader.

[h3]Q. What is the difference between RFID/EPC tags and bar codes?[/h3]
A. RFID/EPC tags and bar codes are two different technologies that overlap in the identification of products. Bar codes require line-of-sight to identify a product. RFID does not require the tags to be within line-of-sight. Bar codes typically identify the UPC (representing a unique style, color and size of the product), while an RFID/EPC tag contains the UPC plus a serial number which differentiates one like item from another. RFID usability is often limited by products containing metal and water, an attribute not shared by bar codes.

[h3]Q. At what distance can an RFID/EPC tag be read?[/h3]
A. The range of a tag depends on the frequency, size, power output, and whether or not a tag contains a battery. The passive (non-battery powered) Ultra High Frequency (UHF) tags that Dillard’s uses can be read up to 20 feet away from the reader.

[h3]Q. Do RFID systems have any potential health risks? [/h3]
A. The government closely regulates the amount of power an RFID reader can produce. World Health Organization research, among other scientific studies, have shown that exposure below the limits recommended in internationally adopted guidelines has not revealed any known negative health effects. Passive tags, like the ones used on Dillard’s merchandise, contain no battery or power source, so they pose no harm to shoppers.

[h3]Q. Will RFID systems increase the cost of products?[/h3]
A. Although RFID/EPC tags are more expensive than barcodes, it is envisioned that RFID systems will be able to actually reduce the cost of products by improving management of inventory throughout the supply chain. Reducing the number of out-of-stocks while eliminating excess or unnecessary inventory can streamline the flow of materials and effort required in getting the proper merchandise to the right store in a timely manner.

[h3]Q. What privacy issues are there with RFID technology? [/h3]
A. The information specified about the product on an RFID/EPC tag is simply a product code and a serial number. The RFID/EPC tags will contain no personal customer information or be associated with the customer that bought the product. The tags are designed to be removed by the sales associate at time of purchase or removed by the customer at their leisure.

[h3]Q. Can RFID/EPC tags be used to track customers in the store? [/h3]
A. Although there are tags designed to be implanted in humans and animals, these have nothing to do with the use of RFID that Dillard’s is implementing. Given that the tags that are being used on our products can only be read at a distance of about 20 feet, it would take many readers to cover the entire store. The RFID/EPC tags only transmit the product’s unique identifier or EPC and not any customer information. While we are not interested in tracking our customers in the store as they shop, we are interested in knowing if someone walks out of our store with an item that has yet to be paid for; so in the future, readers may be placed at the store exits for this purpose.

[h3]Q. Can someone read the tags on items in my home or in the clothes I may be wearing?[/h3]
A. First of all, the read range for passive UHF tags is about 20 feet. Someone would have to get that close to your belongings to be able to read the associated tags. Even if they were capable of reading the tags, the only information they would get would be the encoded UPC and a serialized number (EPC). Without a product database to look up the item, this number is basically useless. No personal customer information is stored on the tag.

[h3]Q. What is an Electronic Product Code (EPC)?[/h3]
A. The EPC is an advanced version of the UPC (Universal Product Code or bar code). Like the UPC, an EPC identifies manufacturer and product style, color and size. The EPC also contains a serial number allowing each item to be uniquely tagged. The EPC is stored in the tag’s microchip. You will often hear the terms RFID tags and EPC tags used interchangeably. While RFID refers to the technology used to read the tags, EPC refers to the unique item identifier stored on the tags.

[h3]Q. What benefits will customers see from the use of RFID? [/h3]
A. Our goal at Dillard’s is to use RFID/EPC tags on products to help process merchandise through the supply chain faster and more accurately, monitor inventory levels, perform frequent product inventory counts and reduce theft. The end result will be having the right merchandise in the right store at the right time, thus improving the overall customer shopping experience. As the technology is more widely adopted, there will be even more benefits to the customer.
There is no privacy

Way back in like 95-96 when I first started to get online and was into hacking sites and "inside information" sites I read about Rfid. How this was the last step before embedding people and newborns with these chips to monitor people and keep them inline sort of speak. I never really 100% believed it.

Until just now I got an alert from slickdeals about a ralph lauren sale on dillards.com. I'm about to place an order and wanted to see there return policy. This is what I found. But first I will post the definition of RFID.

space_528x4.GIF

Frequently Asked Questions About RFID
Q. What is RFID?
A. Radio Frequency IDentification is an automatic data capture technology that uses tiny tracking chips affixed to products. These tiny chips can be used to track items at a distance--right through someone's purse, backpack, or wallet. Many of the world's largest manufacturing companies would like to replace the bar code with these "spy chips," meaning that virtually every item on the planet--and the people wearing and carrying those items--could be remotely tracked. There is currently NO REGULATION protecting consumers from abuse of this technology

For those that call duck tales. Here is the link, or goto the faq section on dillards.com. Walmart has been doing this since June apparently here in NY.
eek.gif

http://www.dillards.com/faq/FaqStartServlet#23

[h3]Radio Frequency Identification[/h3] [h3]Q. What is RFID?[/h3]
A. Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is a method of using radio waves to communicate information about products. RFID systems can collect data about a product quickly, with reduced human error. An RFID/EPC (Electronic Product Code) tag consists of an antenna connected to a microchip that contains information about the product and can be placed on a product. This tag can then transmit its product information (EPC) back to a reader. The reader converts the radio wave into digital information that is interpreted by computers.

[h3]Q. How does an RFID system work?[/h3]
A. An RFID system contains a tag and a reader with an antenna. The reader sends out a low powered electromagnetic wave (radio wave). The tag receives the wave and uses the power from the wave to activate its microchip. The microchip adds the tag’s unique information to the wave and sends it back to the reader.

[h3]Q. What is the difference between RFID/EPC tags and bar codes?[/h3]
A. RFID/EPC tags and bar codes are two different technologies that overlap in the identification of products. Bar codes require line-of-sight to identify a product. RFID does not require the tags to be within line-of-sight. Bar codes typically identify the UPC (representing a unique style, color and size of the product), while an RFID/EPC tag contains the UPC plus a serial number which differentiates one like item from another. RFID usability is often limited by products containing metal and water, an attribute not shared by bar codes.

[h3]Q. At what distance can an RFID/EPC tag be read?[/h3]
A. The range of a tag depends on the frequency, size, power output, and whether or not a tag contains a battery. The passive (non-battery powered) Ultra High Frequency (UHF) tags that Dillard’s uses can be read up to 20 feet away from the reader.

[h3]Q. Do RFID systems have any potential health risks? [/h3]
A. The government closely regulates the amount of power an RFID reader can produce. World Health Organization research, among other scientific studies, have shown that exposure below the limits recommended in internationally adopted guidelines has not revealed any known negative health effects. Passive tags, like the ones used on Dillard’s merchandise, contain no battery or power source, so they pose no harm to shoppers.

[h3]Q. Will RFID systems increase the cost of products?[/h3]
A. Although RFID/EPC tags are more expensive than barcodes, it is envisioned that RFID systems will be able to actually reduce the cost of products by improving management of inventory throughout the supply chain. Reducing the number of out-of-stocks while eliminating excess or unnecessary inventory can streamline the flow of materials and effort required in getting the proper merchandise to the right store in a timely manner.

[h3]Q. What privacy issues are there with RFID technology? [/h3]
A. The information specified about the product on an RFID/EPC tag is simply a product code and a serial number. The RFID/EPC tags will contain no personal customer information or be associated with the customer that bought the product. The tags are designed to be removed by the sales associate at time of purchase or removed by the customer at their leisure.

[h3]Q. Can RFID/EPC tags be used to track customers in the store? [/h3]
A. Although there are tags designed to be implanted in humans and animals, these have nothing to do with the use of RFID that Dillard’s is implementing. Given that the tags that are being used on our products can only be read at a distance of about 20 feet, it would take many readers to cover the entire store. The RFID/EPC tags only transmit the product’s unique identifier or EPC and not any customer information. While we are not interested in tracking our customers in the store as they shop, we are interested in knowing if someone walks out of our store with an item that has yet to be paid for; so in the future, readers may be placed at the store exits for this purpose.

[h3]Q. Can someone read the tags on items in my home or in the clothes I may be wearing?[/h3]
A. First of all, the read range for passive UHF tags is about 20 feet. Someone would have to get that close to your belongings to be able to read the associated tags. Even if they were capable of reading the tags, the only information they would get would be the encoded UPC and a serialized number (EPC). Without a product database to look up the item, this number is basically useless. No personal customer information is stored on the tag.

[h3]Q. What is an Electronic Product Code (EPC)?[/h3]
A. The EPC is an advanced version of the UPC (Universal Product Code or bar code). Like the UPC, an EPC identifies manufacturer and product style, color and size. The EPC also contains a serial number allowing each item to be uniquely tagged. The EPC is stored in the tag’s microchip. You will often hear the terms RFID tags and EPC tags used interchangeably. While RFID refers to the technology used to read the tags, EPC refers to the unique item identifier stored on the tags.

[h3]Q. What benefits will customers see from the use of RFID? [/h3]
A. Our goal at Dillard’s is to use RFID/EPC tags on products to help process merchandise through the supply chain faster and more accurately, monitor inventory levels, perform frequent product inventory counts and reduce theft. The end result will be having the right merchandise in the right store at the right time, thus improving the overall customer shopping experience. As the technology is more widely adopted, there will be even more benefits to the customer.
There is no privacy

NOT EVEN SUPRISED
tired.gif
....I HOPE PEOPLE READY FOR ALL THE %##$ THEY GONE SEE IN THE FUTURE....THIS JUST THE BEGINNING

NOT EVEN SUPRISED
tired.gif
....I HOPE PEOPLE READY FOR ALL THE %##$ THEY GONE SEE IN THE FUTURE....THIS JUST THE BEGINNING

You can cut it off. But, do you have a rfid reader? Are you going to scan everything you buy, check yourself everyday. This stuff was talked about in the zeitgeist movies years ago as well.

Start at the 6:10  mark for info about the rfid chip

You can cut it off. But, do you have a rfid reader? Are you going to scan everything you buy, check yourself everyday. This stuff was talked about in the zeitgeist movies years ago as well.

Start at the 6:10  mark for info about the rfid chip

Isn't this just for the tags?  Kinda like those security tags they take off when you buy?  I don't think this is something that stays on the garment after you buy it.  Them thangs are expensive, I doubt they are just letting people walk of with them on the clothes.  I don't really get what OP is implying with this post.

Isn't this just for the tags?  Kinda like those security tags they take off when you buy?  I don't think this is something that stays on the garment after you buy it.  Them thangs are expensive, I doubt they are just letting people walk of with them on the clothes.  I don't really get what OP is implying with this post.

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

this, and what happens when i decide to wash my sweater?

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

this, and what happens when i decide to wash my sweater?

That's the thing. I completely understand tracking garments of clothing for stock reasons. However they should not be leaving the wear houses and stays on you.

This was a newscast on it. I don't see dillards or walmart disclosing this. I mean Mcdonalds disclosses that coffee is hot. Why shouldn't these companies disclose that there are monitoring chips in there clothes. Who is monitoring this clothing after it has been purchased and left the store. That's where the real question lies.

That's the thing. I completely understand tracking garments of clothing for stock reasons. However they should not be leaving the wear houses and stays on you.

This was a newscast on it. I don't see dillards or walmart disclosing this. I mean Mcdonalds disclosses that coffee is hot. Why shouldn't these companies disclose that there are monitoring chips in there clothes. Who is monitoring this clothing after it has been purchased and left the store. That's where the real question lies.

What I'm getting at is that I found this totally randomly. I was going to make a purchase and happened to look at the faq page and actually read it.

I just thought others should know to. I see how much stuff buy from dillard in the ralph lauren thread. I'm against being treated like cattle, and am against this new world order bs.

What I'm getting at is that I found this totally randomly. I was going to make a purchase and happened to look at the faq page and actually read it.

I just thought others should know to. I see how much stuff buy from dillard in the ralph lauren thread. I'm against being treated like cattle, and am against this new world order bs.

From dillards FAQ

If you pay with a credit card, your personal information could easily be stored in the tag...Now, I see what your saying OP

Back
Top Bottom