Serious Question, Why is trolling so frowned upon?

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Originally Posted by Hop

Originally Posted by soltheman

#NT deserves a better class of troll.
And i'm gonna give it to them.
joker.jpg

laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
hahaha nice. Well played.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by do work son

i feel like a smarter man after reading both of those posts. thank you meth.
QFT
What always gets me is that people are always trying to argue against Meth's points but i really dont see how. His arguments are always valid and backed up by plausible evidence and coherent points.

meth i just learned a lot from your posts but i honestly do not feel that trolling is anywhere near as destructive to the discussions as u are making it seem. ofcourse too much of it would be od which is why i think the current amount of trolling that goes on here really isnt that bad

Meth its always nice reading your input. I agree with some of your points and I can see what youre saying. I also understand that my attitude towards trolling is influenced by the other boards I frequent. I let as little of my behavior on my favorite board trickle over as I can. Some NT members and staff seem to take this site very seriously, which is understandable in a way. I can't agree with your troll analysis completely because I don't take it that seriously. I just think real trolling is fun. I'm not a bully, nor was I abused or mistreated. I adhere to the rules here though. Respect for the community and such.

What constitutes as trolling to you guys?

Originally Posted by do work son

i feel like a smarter man after reading both of those posts. thank you meth.
you know if no one knew what 'meth' referred to, this would sound like you are a druggie.

Trolling is a really broad term. It can me many things done many different ways. Its pretty much someone just looking for attention. Sometimes its funny enough for them to get the attention, sometimes not.

Meth I think your speaking way to negatively about it. It can be annoying if its constant and not funny, but your making it sound like its seriously effecting others lives in the worst way possible. Its really not that serious.

For example, that breaking KNECKS thread... Clearly trolling. Hilarious, still laugh about it. It hurt no body. Nobody " squandered their creativity to stomp on anyones sand castles" like you said.

It was just really funny.

Who remembers when meth got hit with the DNR?

That was my most memorable moment on NT...

And the tantrum Meth thru was priceless....

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I wanted to post a DNR.gif on Meth soooo bad...... Not about that banned life tho 
You'd only be proving my point anyway.  It's obvious, unoriginal, and needlessly hostile. 
I'd applaud you for resisting the temptation, but you decided to hedge and post about how much you "wanted" to do it, which is like saying, "oh man, I ALMOST told you during dinner that your girlfriend's a total dumpster fire.  It would've been so funny to me, too, but I didn't do it because that would be rude." 
meth i just learned a lot from your posts but i honestly do not feel that trolling is anywhere near as destructive to the discussions as u are making it seem. ofcourse too much of it would be od which is why i think the current amount of trolling that goes on here really isnt that bad

It's a matter of opinion.  There's no question that trolling chases away people who might otherwise be valuable contributors to our community.  We're poorer for their absence.  To this, the kneejerk response (if you're the immature sort) is something to the effect of "pull your skirt down" or "grow a pair," which only reinforces the problem.  Many of those who complain about the relative dearth of female users, for example, are the same people posting sexist comments, harassing women with incessant requests for pictures, and otherwise making our forums less welcoming and enjoyable for anyone other than desperate, unhappy, and immature guys.  You reap what you sow.  

Trolling reduces the diversity of our community - and that can only be interpreted as a negative.  You already know what you think.  Therefore, you already know what people exactly like you think.  Part of what makes communities like ours interesting is interacting with people from a wide array of backgrounds, with a wide array of perspectives.

The saddest thing about trolling, in that sense, is that you'll never know what you're missing.  

All you'll get will be the same thing you're used to.  People just like you making the same types of jokes over and over and over again.  You won't know how the people you've chased away could've helped to make your day, or your life, better.  You won't know how it feels to make their days, or their lives, better, either - and that's the type of positive feedback loop that stands opposite trolling.  

If you think that eliminating trolling means eliminating humor, you're just not thinking creatively enough.  You're making the mistake of assuming that the only way to make each other laugh is by recycling the same tired, mean-spirited 'jokes' that have absolutely ruined vast swaths of the Internet.  

Each community is entitled to develop its own character, climate, and culture.  Given that there are literally millions of places to troll online, I certainly see nothing wrong with attempting to provide people with an alternative to that.  We want to make NikeTalk a safe, welcoming, and fun space for people of all backgrounds and experiences.  

Everyone here brings with them unique talents and abilities that could serve to enhance, rather than detract from, the enjoyment of others.  That, ideally, is how we'd like to benefit from your presence.  
I can't agree with your troll analysis completely because I don't take it that seriously. I just think real trolling is fun. I'm not a bully, nor was I abused or mistreated.

And, redundantly, I think most recreational drug users would tell you that their indulgence "isn't that serious" and will never become a problem.  That doesn't make it a constructive behavior.  

You do it because it makes you feel good, but you might want to ask yourself why that is.  Why does it make you feel good to make others feel worse?  

Trolling can literally be anything and anybody can be accused of doing so...

example...a certain NTer member always comes into threads and writes essays trying to prove his point.  He will literally thesis you to death and if you say anything slighty "disrespectful" you may be banned.  Yet he says slightly "disrespectful" things also when it comes to the war of words.  This member has a certain style and expected behavior.  He just types and types and types....and if you don't like it you better keep it too yourself or face the consequences.

See I just made a half-decent case for Method Man being a troll.  Is he? I don't know.  When it comes to trolling it's just general and broad term that gets thrown around messageboards. 

If you don't like trolling then don't even quote, comment, or emoticon it.  If a troll does something trollish and nobody acknowleges it did i even happen? 

I'm not 100% clear on the definition of trolling, but I think there are examples of clever trolling, and it can often make a point. However the large majority fits what method man is saying. There's usually a maladaptive psychological basis for many behaviors and trolling is no different.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

I don't mind it when it's funny but when you do it in a serious topic like dude who posted a "DNR lol" gif in a thread about some dudes girl getting raped just to get some cheap lulz,you deserve to get banned.

21onexz.gif

laugh.gif

The destructive capabilities of drug use should not be likened to trolling on the internet.

I feel like you're analyzing this far too deeply. Just in my opinion, as we're all entitled to.

What Method is describing doesn't even sound like trolling to me at all. He's talking about roasting & recycled jokes/phrases/memes.

A troll in the classic sense is THB/Shynop... "characters" that show up here with a shtick that gains attention and/or causes reactions... I don't know if ya'll remember that kid Dabinder
laugh.gif
but dude would use OD proper English to talk about PS2 games and @%%... No one was harmed but for some reason people would get angry b/c in their opinion his posts lacked genuineness (probably true) but kept bumping his threads with stonefaces and insults. To me, his posts were thoroughly entertaining. At the end of the day though, IMO like the popular saying goes "Don't feed the troll" or like Mike Tyson said "If you don't like it change your station..."

Real Talk, ya'll mean to tell me BOOTLEG BENNY & Cruz Gangstamonte weren't comedy?

See I just made a half-decent case for Method Man being a troll.
By what definition?  All you did was produce an insulting caricature, then say, "is he a troll?  I don't know."
The destructive capabilities of drug use should not be likened to trolling on the internet. 

I feel like you're analyzing this far too deeply. Just in my opinion, as we're all entitled to.

Both are subjective.  Someone can make the case that the physical risks associated with a recreational drug represent a worthy trade-off.  Others would deny the risks entirely and portray such drugs as purely beneficial.  Then, too, you'd find people claiming that - unlike trolling - drug use doesn't hurt anyone.  
There are, I feel, enough similarities to warrant a comparison.  

There's no denying that trolling has the effect of diminishing, if not ruining, the online experiences of others.  If for that reason alone, it seems like a problem worthy of analysis.  

I think it's worth asking why people enjoy making others feel worse - and I think the general unwillingness of trolls to confront that question is, itself, telling.  

"The unexamined life is not worth living," after all.  When someone asks us to explain why we do the things we do, our answers aren't supposed to embarrass us.  
Meth I think your speaking way to negatively about it. It can be annoying if its constant and not funny, but your making it sound like its seriously effecting others lives in the worst way possible. Its really not that serious.

You can say "it doesn't bother me," but you can't tell the rest of the world "it doesn't bother you."  

It's not all that different from the type of teasing common among schoolchildren.  Not everyone subjected to schoolyard teasing goes on a shooting spree, but I doubt you'd find too many people who enjoyed the experience of being teased, either.  

You have to consider how these issues scale, too.  You may think it's a good idea to stand up to get a better view at a concert or sporting event, but what about the people behind you?  You can see a little better, but now their view is obstructed entirely.  If they're similarly selfish, they'll stand up and obstruct the view of the people behind them.  Suddenly, everyone's standing for the duration - which is less comfortable than sitting - and nobody has a better view.  

Is that "affecting people's lives in the worst way possible?"  No, but we're better off avoiding it - and that requires both an understanding of the problem and a concerted effort to avoid its recurrence.  

We're better off finding a constructive way to satisfy the "craving" that people currently seek to satiate through trolling.  

Originally Posted by 0cks

What Method is describing doesn't even sound like trolling to me at all. He's talking about roasting & recycled jokes/phrases/memes.

A troll in the classic sense is THB/Shynop... "characters" that show up here with a shtick that gains attention and/or causes reactions... I don't know if ya'll remember that kid Dabinder
laugh.gif
but dude would use OD proper English to talk about PS2 games and @%%... No one was harmed but for some reason people would get angry b/c in their opinion his posts lacked genuineness (probably true) but kept bumping his threads with stonefaces and insults. To me, his posts were thoroughly entertaining. At the end of the day though, IMO like the popular saying goes "Don't feed the troll" or like Mike Tyson said "If you don't like it change your station..."

Real Talk, ya'll mean to tell me BOOTLEG BENNY & Cruz Gangstamonte weren't comedy?

And this is why the phrase "trolling is a art" exists. Yes I know its "an". If you noticed that, you got trolled.

Trolling is not posting DNR.gif or recycled (TIRED) memes. Trolling also isn't ALWAYS negative or detrimental. It doesn't have to hurt anyones feelings. Admittedly it is to illicit a reaction. For some it probably does all come down to attention. I'm not one to say, I have no degrees in the field of psychology. I DO know I like to make people think when I do it, but most immediately revert to raging instead of trying to prove whatever point they had.

Some could argue drug use and trolling could be compared. But some could argue against it. Subjective as you said, so not really relevant.

As for Truth making a case for you being a troll, I can see it and have thought it for a long time. But you are more intelligent than the average troll. Words are your weapon of choice. I just wish you'd change your sig to "Please respond.". Keep in mind I don't feel you're a negative troll. But that word comes with a certain connotation due to the actions of some. I like your style, a lot.

Why do I enjoy trolling? Why do I enjoy violent horror movies? Why do I hate Taylor Swift so passionately? I don't know, but I'm confident none of those need intense examination.

And I just typed all of that on a G2. In response to you, to defend my trolling.

I think I just got troll'd.

Idk. It's weird to hear meth talk tough on trolling now, but thb trolled all damn day everyday for 2 ( or more ) years and it seemed like mods just ignored it.

Method Man wrote:

You can say "it doesn't bother me," but you can't tell the rest of the world "it doesn't bother you."  

It's not all that different from the type of teasing common among schoolchildren.  Not everyone subjected to schoolyard teasing goes on a shooting spree, but I doubt you'd find too many people who enjoyed the experience of being teased, either.  

You have to consider how these issues scale, too.  You may think it's a good idea to stand up to get a better view at a concert or sporting event, but what about the people behind you?  You can see a little better, but now their view is obstructed entirely.  If they're similarly selfish, they'll stand up and obstruct the view of the people behind them.  Suddenly, everyone's standing for the duration - which is less comfortable than sitting - and nobody has a better view.  

Is that "affecting people's lives in the worst way possible?"  No, but we're better off avoiding it - and that requires both an understanding of the problem and a concerted effort to avoid its recurrence.  

We're better off finding a constructive way to satisfy the "craving" that people currently seek to satiate through trolling.  

First off, where in the hell do you get all these analogies 
laugh.gif

Second off, your cant use analogies with the term trolling. Its too broad of a term. Maybe if you specified a certain type or way of trolling than sure.

Look at the example i gave you. The breaking KNECKS thread isnt teasing anyone. No shooting sprees are about to pop off because of it. No one is offended. Just someone looking for attention and it happened to be very funny.

It doesn't matter whether or not you like the man on stage at the concert. He's probably on stage so everyone can see him because he needs attention. Everyone looking at the man on stage at the concert because its funny. He gets the attention he needs, they get the laughs they want. Win-Win.

Point is, there can be good trolling. It can be funny, and it can be funny without harming or offending anyone. It can even make peoples days better. Your looking solely at how it can be done negatively.

Originally Posted by Jay02

Method Man wrote:

First off, where in the hell do you get all these analogies 
laugh.gif

Second off, your cant use analogies with the term trolling. Its too broad of a term. Maybe if you specified a certain type or way of trolling than sure.

Look at the example i gave you. The breaking KNECKS thread isnt teasing anyone. No shooting sprees are about to pop off because of it. No one is offended. Just someone looking for attention and it happened to be very funny.

It doesn't matter whether or not you like the man on stage at the concert. He's probably on stage so everyone can see him because he needs attention. Everyone looking at the man on stage at the concert because its funny. He gets the attention he needs, they get the laughs they want. Win-Win.

Point is, there can be good trolling. It can be funny, and it can be funny without harming or offending anyone. It can even make peoples days better. Your looking solely at how it can be done negatively.

Your only proving his point, as much as you would like to try you can't tell what offends one person but doesn't offend the other. And to use your own stage analogy, most of the time when an individual is trolling he just runs up on stage and starts screaming. Some people will find it funny others will just find it annoying.

Back
Top Bottom