Shady Shoe Store Employees - Can we stop it?

If a post has already been made on this topic, pardon the god. I'm 29 and have been copping Js since the 2nd grade, but I took a break for a 5 or 6 years. I just got back into the game in the beginning of '12, and have been to a few releases of Retros at the mall in my area, so I speak from experience. I, as many other people have, have seen where a store will say they've gotten a certain amount in stock a day or two before release, but then on release day, that number is magically cut in half. The worst experience was from Family Affair in Downtown Denver, for the Yeezy 2 release. They sold raffle tickets for $20, and were supposed to have 12 - 15 pairs (if the exact number is wrong, my bad. it was a while ago, and rampant drug use in my early days has done a number on my memory capabilities), only to tell people at the time of the raffle that they were giving out 5 pairs, to the fury of the crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who "won" the raffle were friends of the employees. The point of this? It's wrong. Just the other day, for the Charcoal 7s release, my homie told me a friend of his that worked at Finish Line was able to hook him up with a pair, for retail nonetheless. At first, of course I was happy for my boy. Even if I was trying to get them (I wasn't) and wasn't able to, I'm not the type of dude to hate on the next man for getting their shoe/money/success. But after a while of thinking about it, I realized that it isn't cool, regardless of if it's a friend of mine or not. These Retro releases, in relation to the demand, are pretty limited, selling out on the first day of release, so EVERY pair is crucial. Part of me feels like it should be ok for employees to get theirs, but then where do we draw the line? If it's a limited release (say the GMP release) and the store has 15 employees, that's almost half their stock. So, I think it should just be how they made it to be, ie employees have no extra privileges in regards to having first dibs on a shoe. If they happen to be there first before the release, then great. If not, sorry. So... What can we do about this? Any ideas? My initial idea is to video tape the beginning of the releases; this can be done easily with your phone. This way, if suddenly, a store only has half of the stock it was supposed to have available on release day, we'll be able to post it online and show the world what is up, which will hopefully lead to people seeing it and deciding to shop somewhere else. Once people start getting called out there and companies start losing business, I imagine changes will start to come. I know that this won't solve the demand problem, or possibly solve anything, but it's a thought. Definitely better than just saying "theres nothing you/we can do about it. it's pointless. let's just complain about it and keep shooting ourselves in the foot." Peace.

Edit: I just want to say that I don't know if this is the answer, and I'm not trying to say it is. This whole situation is tricky, because like one of the commenters said, what about loyal customers? But, the point I was trying to get across was if you allow that, then it opens pandora's box, and my initial though was that it'd be better to just cut it all out, all of the hook ups. Better none than having to decide who gets what in a way other than "if you're there, and there's stock available, you get yours in the order you were there in." That's the way it was meant to be.

Again, these are just ideas and my opinion. It took me 10 minutes or less to write this. I wasn't in some sneaker-induced rage or crying inside because I couldn't get a certain shoe. All of you saying "It's not that serious" are right; it's not that serious! It's just an idea that popped into my head, so I decided to post it on Niketalk, which, last I checked, was a place to TALK about stuff pertaining to sneakers (hence the name "Niketalk"...). If you didn't expect to find a guy talking about his ideas on "Shady Shoe Store Employees" and if we "Can Stop It", you're either extremely thick or can't read. So please, save all the "who cares"/"grow up" comments, ok? You obviously care if you stopped in to read it. If you just want to read about sneaker releases and see pics of the newest drops, cool, but quit coming into discussion posts dropping your totally asinine comments. Peace.

Last edited:
I agree 100% but at the same time I wish I was the one getting hooked up. What if it was you getting hooked up ? Would you still be posting this, feeling bad for other people ? From my experience in my area, Foot locker/Champs is crooked as **** and Finish Line is for the most part pretty legit.

That's what I'm saying. I looked at it like in the situation with my homie, and at first I was glad he got a pair, but then if it's not cool for other people to get the hook up like that, it's not cool for him either. I look at my friends like I look at myself, so yeah, I feel the same way. I'd rather nobody got the hook up. Would I take advantage of it if it was presented to me? Probably, yeah I would. But I shouldn't. Nobody should. And if we can all work together to try to get that kind of **** to end or at least be cut down quite a bit, I'm all for it. And if that means that I won't be getting any hook ups, that's fine with me. It's unfair to everyone else. I'm sure some guy who gets hook ups is gonna say "You're just salty cuz you didn't get your pair" and to that guy I would say "that's just not true". The only pair I wanted to get this year and wasn't able to was the Yeezy 2. Every other pair that I wanted, I lined up early or copped it online. I'm saying this for the good of the community, that's all.

You have to be kidding me with this post. OP I am from Denver lived there 22 years and still have great friends and sneaker connects there. I will touch on everything you mentioned. 1 family affair is dirty sneaker store. I know the kid that owns it and he isnt a humble guy. He is very arrogant and thinks that since he has access to hot sneakers he is the man. From what I was told Family affair did indeed get 18 pairs but 13 of those pairs were sold to friends/family and Denver athletes. And the 5 pairs that were "raffled off", were rigged. They went to the customers that spend the most money in the store (which I dont blame them).

But to speak on you being mad that people hook people up is a little wrong. Why wouldnt a footlocker employee hold shoes for their loyal customers that spend money there week end and week out??? I for one dont care. I mean if you strike out on a sneaker you strike out. You have to put in more work. You need to network and show your face around stores. Most FTL, FNL, FA, and Champs employees are real cool down to earth people. And they actually enjoy when you go chop it up with them. Best example of this is, I moved to a new city (Charleston, SC), didnt know a soul went to the local FTL chopped it for a while with some employees and to this day they are my best friends here and have no issue holding a size for me. So my advice to you is network network network! And stop feeling your entitled to sneakers, you arent. The store can do whatever they want with their stock in all honesty. And as far as you using a camera, that is dumbest thing I have ever heard, employees arent stealing any thing. They arent doing anything wrong. It just sounds like your salty because you didnt do your homework

If you work at a shoe store you SHOULD have first dibs, period. I'm not saying every employee in a store needs to get a pair, but the ones who actually want the shoes should be given the opportunity. I've been on both sides of the fence and even when I was on the outside looking in, I understood what the deal was. However, I do believe the store manager should have all of this information worked out ahead of time and they should give an accurate number to the customer of how many should be available. People need to also stop listening to these employees and their friends on how many pairs they have. Half the time the number is exaggerated, or the employee is giving out information they shouldn't be giving. If you talk with a store manager the day before a release and they tell you they will have 20 pairs available in the morning and they release 8, then yea, that is a problem. I hate to say it, but now isn't really the time to be putting in work and trying to build relationships with stores. These new dudes ruined that and made every shoe release a circus.

See, that's the whole problem, and what I meant by where do we draw the line? I personally agree that loyal customers should get first dibs. But what about a situation like I mentioned when there is only 30 pairs, and there are 15 employees? So, each employee gets a pair, leaving us with 15. Then what about the loyal customers? 5? 10? So, 5 pairs left for US, the customers? So, no, guy, I wasn't kidding. I didn't say I had the answer either. This is just an idea. Peace

You have to be kidding me with this post. OP I am from Denver lived there 22 years and still have great friends and sneaker connects there. I will touch on everything you mentioned. 1 family affair is dirty sneaker store. I know the kid that owns it and he isnt a humble guy. He is very arrogant and thinks that since he has access to hot sneakers he is the man. From what I was told Family affair did indeed get 18 pairs but 13 of those pairs were sold to friends/family and Denver athletes. And the 5 pairs that were "raffled off", were rigged. They went to the customers that spend the most money in the store (which I dont blame them).
But to speak on you being mad that people hook people up is a little wrong. Why wouldnt a footlocker employee hold shoes for their loyal customers that spend money there week end and week out??? I for one dont care. I mean if you strike out on a sneaker you strike out. You have to put in more work. You need to network and show your face around stores. Most FTL, FNL, FA, and Champs employees are real cool down to earth people. And they actually enjoy when you go chop it up with them. Best example of this is, I moved to a new city (Charleston, SC), didnt know a soul went to the local FTL chopped it for a while with some employees and to this day they are my best friends here and have no issue holding a size for me. So my advice to you is network network network! And stop feeling your entitled to sneakers, you arent. The store can do whatever they want with their stock in all honesty. And as far as you using a camera, that is dumbest thing I have ever heard, employees arent stealing any thing. They arent doing anything wrong. It just sounds like your salty because you didnt do your homework
See, that's the whole problem, and what I meant by where do we draw the line? I personally agree that loyal customers should get first dibs. But what about a situation like I mentioned when there is only 30 pairs, and there are 15 employees? So, each employee gets a pair, leaving us with 15. Then what about the loyal customers? 5? 10? So, 5 pairs left for US, the customers? So, no, guy, I wasn't kidding. I didn't say I had the answer either. This is just an idea. Peace

Employees should get first dibs BUT there is a problem when on release somehow a store legit has like 1 or 2 pairs @ most of each size.  I literally stopped going to the spot closest to me because the ******g manager kept buying all the sz 13s.  Its not a problem to the company in general and they probably wont care.  Bottom line those pairs still sold.  They made their money.  They dont really seem to give a damn about who they were sold to.   What we should really be concerned with is how certain pairs, say the GMP's, are soo limited yet how the **** are ppl posting pics with mountains of them in their living rooms for early sale?  Same thing with that guy loading all the boxes of concords in his truck, I still haven't found a decent pair without a rape price attached.   Those are the real causes for concern IMO.  

Last edited:

OP I am sorry but complaining about it isnt going to change anything. Ratting people out isnt going to change anything. So come up with a solution where you come out on top. For one, Denver has many many different spots that get every release and are low key and no one goes there. When I was there for Christmas for the concord release I went to a spot, had no hook up whats so ever just knew this spot was low key, got there at 7:30 they opened at 8. I walked away with 2 pairs. There was barely a line. OP you need to do your homework. Meaning seek out different options, or learn how to network. With the state of sneaker culture today, things arent going to get any better for you if you dont.

Bro bro, if you read my post, you would've seen that I'VE GOTTEN EVERY RELEASE I'VE WANTED (minus the Yeezy 2). And you know how I've gotten every release I wanted? FROM DOING MY HOMEWORK. I didn't start this topic because I'm sour from not getting the shoes I wanted; I started it to see how other people felt about it, to state my thoughts, and to see if we could try to come to a solution, because taking advantage of your position of power is wrong, however you slice it. Yes, I'm against ratting or snitching or whatever you want to call it, but I'm not against calling people out for abusing their power. I would have NO qualms with filing a report for police brutality. Is that ratting?

For getting $8/hr or whatever shoe store employees I think its fair for them to get their shoes. That's one of the reason most of them work at the damn shoe store in the first place or getting a discount. Problem ain't the shoe stores. Problem is Nike making limited qualities. Plain and simple.

I agree 100% but at the same time I wish I was the one getting hooked up. What if it was you getting hooked up ? Would you still be posting this, feeling bad for other people ? From my experience in my area, Foot locker/Champs is crooked as **** and Finish Line is for the most part pretty legit.

nah you got it backwards. finishline is the shadiest company ever.

I personally don't believe in holding shoes at all. I look at it more like a customer's point of view. I know that if I woke up early in the morning, waited in line for 10+ hours, got a decent spot in line, and was so sure I would get my pair, then find out that I didn't, I would be throwing a tantrum. My manager agrees with me too, hence why he makes all employees wait in line, as well. He also doesn't allow us revealing how many pairs we get.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
 get outta here with your 1st world problems

Honestly its a good idea but just a waste of time. Their just shoes i miss out on a release i move on. Do i enjoy getting a pair that i want yes but there are things in life more worth my focus than tryna 1up a shoe store employee

get on the phone and complain to the store this happened to and nike. just talk to them and complain never allow yourself off the phone. be like bernie sanders during his filibuster if you have to. you and everyone else deserve better than this.

For getting $8/hr or whatever shoe store employees I think its fair for them to get their shoes. That's one of the reason most of them work at the damn shoe store in the first place or getting a discount. Problem ain't the shoe stores. Problem is Nike making limited qualities. Plain and simple.
Until this is addressed there will continue to be shady dealings.

the only thing I can say is, dont be a customer at those spots. You cant tell a boutique not to give out sneakers to friends and family as long as they are being purchased. Just like you cant tell them how much to charge for a shoe. MSRP is suggested. But if you dont like the business practices of a certain place, dont go there.

Not all stores

I work for NTNY and employes have to wait in line just like everyone else

I camped for the Galaxy releases and got all my pairs fair and square.

Is stores will close personal management that runs the company down with those shady crap.

I know what you talking about a footlocker at the mall in the hood don't sell on release morning at all they keep them for friends and family, shady ****
mean.gif

Last edited:
I understand what OP is saying, but its the nature of the business...

Nothing is fair and I've learn to accept it as a part of this new culture...

I've talked to a FL store manager that actually use to tell me the number of shoes they have available to the public after his employees get their share of the inventory...

Personally, I hate when these managers tell that blantant lie that their 'orders got messed up and they only have X amount to sell/ certain sizes available'...

Happened to me for the Oly VI and VII releases...

And to be honest, s**t has always been this way with shoe stores, it happens a little more frequently now because everybody is a 'sneakerhead' now...

The loyal customer thing irks me because I don't really see how one's person's money is any more green than mine... But like I said, it's the nature of the business...

I shouldn't have to camp out and do homework to make a purchase, that's just me though

Back
Top Bottom