So Memphis City Schools has closed down

This #%#! is crazy
30t6p3b.gif

and crime rates will go up.

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

Originally Posted by rashi

nah, this liberal is gonna point his finger at the south including your wack state and say HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only in the south don't worry.  The conservatives will teach your kids in a church basement somewhere.

FOH, thinking you know things about politics.
smokin.gif

My daughter is home schooled.
wink.gif
pimp.gif

i know i take every opportunity to bash your political leanings, but i want to set that aside for the moment.

how is that, home-schooling, and what led you to the decision, as i assume it was a process?

in NJ, home schooling is either for the upper echelon of privileged or for the kids who are transitioning to the system after some major trouble.

Honestly, it's not that bad. Some people do it differently, I pay someone who is an experienced teacher and private tutor by the hour in cash. I bought "Your Baby Can Read" when she was born and even though I was finishing up my degree, my wife and I put a real emphasis on her reading early and it worked. She's doing great and likes the teacher, and my mother in law is at the house while the teacher is here. She plays soccer and basketball in little leagues and has a lot of friends already. I did a lot of research on what kids should know at the particular grade level, spoke with the teacher and made a curriculum. Her vocab is strong for a 6 year old.

I chose to do it not only because of my distaste for the the State and their terrible education, but because I felt she would best benefit from being schooled at home and not being put under unnecessary pressure to do well on pointless standardized tests. In Florida, we have a test called the FCAT which is taken in 10th grade and determines whether you graduate. Why this pressure for a 15-16 year old? My daughter would be taught strategies to pass a test, not and eclectic curriculum.

It was a little bit of a process because you have get a bunch of paper work signed off. Before I started I had no clue what to do, but I found a local support group that helped me out a lot. We aren't wealthy or rich by any means. I just graduated 2 years ago, I co-own a sports medicine orthopaedic clinic with a doctor and my wife just graduated from law school, so we're up to our necks with loans. Most of the people in the support group aren't rich either, some are, but there are rich kids that go to public school too.

If property taxes weren't so high or even existed at all just about everyone would be able to afford it. If you have the time or the resources, I would recommend it. I can already see in my friends' kids, they have no motivation and are lazy as hell.

Originally Posted by PTone

Originally Posted by bonafide125

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

You dont even need school to make it in this country anymore, so its really not that big of a deal. Besides this will give the children more time to spend developing their creative talents like singing or shooting hoops. 

not sure if srs

Gotta be dead serious.  I've been job hunting for nearly 2 years with a college education.  Some kid can pick up a basketball and make millions a year in endorsements alone.

If that's the case, you should've devoted those 2 years to learning how to shoot hoops. 
laugh.gif

Problem solved, no?

Thanks for the response Rashi,

How about in terms of socializing, albeit the school socialization process being a double edged sword for all children?

In the end, politics aside, u seem like a good guy.

Thanks for the response Rashi,

How about in terms of socializing, albeit the school socialization process being a double edged sword for all children?

In the end, politics aside, u seem like a good guy.

No doubt, man.

I think it has to do a lot with the parents. I was an athlete growing up and I was never home, always playing basketball. My mother use to tell me not to come home
laugh.gif
. I try to expose her to as much as possible. There isn't a TV in her room or a computer. I've seen a lot of kids that are glued to their TV and XBOX, ect. Most are undersized, short, skinny kids, and never go outside. I think its the parents responsibility to promote having an open mind.

I have this thing with TV. On the real, I feel that TV is so bad for people. I would rather listen to the radio or read something instead of being told something on TV, atleast when you read or listen you can visualize it yourself. Make your brain work. Your TV doesn't make your brain work.

Just watched this on the news. They are saying it stems from a deeper lawsuit and issue within the district. They said that this school board agreed to shutdown last school year and the struggle is if school district is gonna merger into the county.
[h1]Memphis board: No school until city forks over funds[/h1][h2]Feud between district and city escalates[/h2]In an escalating political battle, the school board in Memphis, Tenn., is threatening to delay the start of school year until the City Council forks over $55 million in tax revenue earmarked for education.
By an 8-1 vote, the board decided Tuesday to postpone the start of the school year, currently scheduled for Aug. 8, until the City Council approves the Memphis City Schools budget for fiscal 2012 and deposits the money in the district’s account.

“It would be imprudent to start schools and have to shut down in October, November or December,

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

You dont even need school to make it in this country anymore, so its really not that big of a deal. Besides this will give the children more time to spend developing their creative talents like singing or shooting hoops. 
trollface.jpg

Memphis for Broke. Sounds like chump change compared to larger cities. No rich benfactors can cut a check?

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Memphis for Broke. Sounds like chump change compared to larger cities. No rich benfactors can cut a check?

There's no money here, period.  Mayor Slick Willy (Herenton) reallocated what was left of it to all his goons.

Originally Posted by PTone

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

There's no money here, period.  Mayor Slick Willy (Herenton) reallocated what was left of it to all his goons.

I hate to say it but what you said is tha truth tha politicians wasted tha money we used to have on failed #+%* like tha pyramid and tha coliseum but we don't even use that #+%* no mo

and then tha mid souith fair is gone too and that was some revenue comin into tha city this #+%* is just sad 
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom