Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The spoiler is being backed by multiple sources :\ There's concept art out that supports it...

Last edited:
Yeah don't, I honestly wish I didn't. Will officially be staying away from rumors from this point on.

Last edited:
And if you think about it it all adds up to what they have beensaying about the hand being shown in that pic as the main villian

Slashfilm, Furiousfanboys and Badassdigest.com all backing up this rumor on Twitter.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/02/the-episode-vii-mystery-box-may-have-imploded

Over the last few months I've been lucky enough to have multiple sources give me information about Star Wars Episode VII. I've heard lots of plot points and I've seen lots of (very cool) concept art. Some of that art has shown up online, but much of it remains secret for now. I've reported on some of those plot points, but others I've held close to the vest. There was one plot point in particular - what someone described as the 'I am your father' moment of Episode VII - that I have very much protected. I know some other sites have also had this plot point (yes, some of us share and compare intel in an effort to be more correct!) and have also sat on it, because if true it's such a major spoiler as to potentially ruin the movie.

Someone published it yesterday. I won't link to it, and I won't repeat it, but if you've already seen this rumor, know that I can back it up from my own sources as well. It's a bummer that it's out there, and I can't really understand why anyone would share it - yes, our job is to get interesting information out there, but it isn't to wholesale ruin the movie in advance.

But I wonder if this is a function of the Mystery Box imploding. The Star Wars films have always been sort of leaky - the entire world of movie fansites sprung out of Phantom Menace leaks and rumors - but the sheer deluge of information released about Episode VII has been staggering. When The Phantom Menace was being made it was the Wild West online, but in the 15 years since studios have learned how to control the pre-release info flow by carefully releasing photos, videos and small teases in order to satiate the appetites of the fans. Episode VII has opted for almost the full Mystery Box, and with almost nothing official the fans have been swarming to scoopers to fill in the blanks.

The Mystery Box worked on Cloverfield because nobody knew what it was. The misdirection and secrecy created an urge for more information - it was beautiful marketing. Remember when people thought it was Voltron? But Star Wars is different. The hunger is already there. By making everything a secret JJ Abrams simply worked the fanbase into a frenzy for information. Without the most simple stuff - a photo spread in EW, maybe, or even character names - the fanbase turned to any possible avenue to get more insight into the most anticipated movie in the last two decades.

Blockbuster marketing isn't just about selling your movie, it's about controlling your movie. Marketing sets the tone of how the film will be receieved and marketing doles out stuff to the fans to keep them corralled - excited about what's coming next but satiated enough that they don't start seeking it outside of official channels. Marvel's very good at this; while they suffer leaks, very few are as damaging as this latest Episode VII rumor. There's stuff from Age of Ultron that's been unfortunately spoiled, but there's even more awesome stuff that has yet to be revealed, and probably won't be until the movie screens. Meanwhile Episode VII is still shooting and sites are reporting the big reveal at the end.

I don't entirely know how this is going to impact my Episode VII reporting. There's still plenty of stuff for me to discover and share with you, but I fear we're reaching a saturation level where we're going to have the whole movie outlined before it even goes into post-production. This latest rumor feels very much like crossing a line in the sand, going from fun reveals of small details to experience-ruining disclosures. It's a doubly difficult issue for me because - and I'm speaking frankly here - Star Wars stories do well for us. And I kind of like poking JJ's Mystery Box in the eye a little bit. But this reveal has taken a lot of the wind out of my sails. It doesn't feel fun now. Now I actually feel bad for the Mystery Box.

If you know the reveal, please be respectful of your fellow commenters. I'm no spoilerphobe, but even I think sharing this with people is a step too far.
Really hoping this was purposely leaked by Abrams and is all fake.

And I never posted this but we all know that Adam Driver was rumored and pretty much accepted as the villian for Episode VII... But this picture from the Greenham Common set leaked a while ago...
Adam.jpg
Kinda drives a wedge in that rumor huh? Opening up a spot for the main villian...

Last edited:
Gotta think those two talked more about it after the filming.

Then about 5-6 years later......... :pimp:

Did you listen to the interview?

He speaks directly on George's inability to take advice on characters, yet later tries to incorporate similar ideas in "his" crappy prequels.

He speaks directly on George's inability to take advice on characters, yet later tries to incorporate similar ideas in "his" crappy prequels.
Who said that mark? I'm at school can't listen to it.

Edit: why the quotation marks on his.

Last edited:

Who said that mark? I'm at school can't listen to it.

Edit: why the quotation marks on his.

Yes, Mark. Mark makes mention of him saying Luke should look a certain way for Jedi, George said no. (then used part of that look for Anakin in the prequels)

Mark wanted to be more flexible with the way they used the Lightsabers, George said no. (Guess what happened in the prequels)

George is a clown. I've always known that. Mark just helping me add bullet points to that fact. :lol:

Lol @ billy dee williams reprising his role as lando in rebels

I still do not understand why they just didnt make a cartoon based after jedi instead of inbetween sith and a new hope.

It would have bridged the gap for the new film and get new viewers in particular kids to want to see the movie.

Also there are jedi in rebels which makes no sense because yoda and obi wan give no mention of other jedi being alive.

Lol @ billy dee williams reprising his role as lando in rebels

I still do not understand why they just didnt make a cartoon based after jedi instead of inbetween sith and a new hope.

It would have bridged the gap for the new film and get new viewers in particular kids to want to see the movie.

Also there are jedi in rebels which makes no sense because yoda and obi wan give no mention of other jedi being alive.

They may assume they're all dead tho... I'd be OK with that logic...

I will tell you one thing. The first episode of rebels > phantom menace as far as the origin of the main jedi and his apprentice compared to little anakin lol

How would Obi-wan know of Kanan? He's on tatooine and Kanan wasn't even a Jedi knight. Also at the time of TPM there about 10,000,even after The war and order 66 there are still surviving Jedi between ep3 and rebels.

Back
Top Bottom