Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by cubanref

Got a few questions for you guys. My girl has been on a diet for the past few weeks, just eating healthier basically. She's also been working out 3-5 times a week with me. She can't do to much cardio because she has bad knees from basketball. Her goal is to lose 25-35 lbs in the next 4-6 months.

Are there any substitutes she can do for her cardio? Also would incorporating a protein shake after her workouts be a good idea? Just want to know if that would help with her weight loss.

25-35 lbs is definitely doable in the allotted time frame that she has.

How overweight is she? (you don't necessarily have to give me a number). I only ask because the more overweight you are...the easier it is to lose off that first couple lbs. From my own personal experience...the more weight you lose towards your ideal body weight, the more harder it is to lose 1 lb.

When I was 32 lbs overweight, I lost 12 lbs in a month. Fast forward to now (152 lbs) I can lose 2-4 lbs a month now while maintaining the same diet I did back then.

As for cardio substitutions...does she want to avoid anything that deals with her lower body? (IE, sprinting, jump roping, plyometrics etc..)

Originally Posted by TheeQuickness

Got a few questions for you guys. My girl has been on a diet for the past few weeks, just eating healthier basically. She's also been working out 3-5 times a week with me. She can't do to much cardio because she has bad knees from basketball. Her goal is to lose 25-35 lbs in the next 4-6 months.

Are there any substitutes she can do for her cardio? Also would incorporating a protein shake after her workouts be a good idea? Just want to know if that would help with her weight loss.

How overweight is she? (you don't necessarily have to give me a number). I only ask because the more overweight you are...the easier it is to lose off that first couple lbs. From my own personal experience...the more weight you lose towards your ideal body weight, the more harder it is to lose 1 lb.

When I was 32 lbs overweight, I lost 12 lbs in a month. Fast forward to now (152 lbs) I can lose 2-4 lbs a month now while maintaining the same diet I did back then.

As for cardio substitutions...does she want to avoid anything that deals with her lower body? (IE, sprinting, jump roping, plyometrics etc..)

Hmm...I'm not really sure how overweight she is but I'd say around 20lbs for her height (she's 6'4)...she loses weight quickly when she's back home because of a healthier diet but puts it back on when she's back at school because she can't cook her own meals and falls into fast food about 2-3 times a week...She is staying with me for the summer so she's been eating a lot better and eating smaller portions. This year she will have an apartment on campus with a kitchen so hopefully she will continue eating better. It took me a while for me to convince her that weight training was essential for her to reach her goal. Her dad is an old school guy that thinks that she's gonna end up like a body builder lol. Yeah she can't do anything that puts a lot of pressure on her knee for about another month until school starts and starts practicing with her team. She rides the bike and does the eliptical(sp?) but other then that I haven't found anything else for her to do

Hmm...I'm not really sure how overweight she is but I'd say around 20lbs for her height (she's 6'4)...she loses weight quickly when she's back home because of a healthier diet but puts it back on when she's back at school because she can't cook her own meals and falls into fast food about 2-3 times a week...She is staying with me for the summer so she's been eating a lot better and eating smaller portions. This year she will have an apartment on campus with a kitchen so hopefully she will continue eating better. It took me a while for me to convince her that weight training was essential for her to reach her goal. Her dad is an old school guy that thinks that she's gonna end up like a body builder lol. Yeah she can't do anything that puts a lot of pressure on her knee for about another month until school starts and starts practicing with her team. She rides the bike and does the eliptical(sp?) but other then that I haven't found anything else for her to do
holy +%%*
how tall are you bro?

Today in the gym someone told me not to do abs, why? 
indifferent.gif
(joined 3 months ago, 140lbs. if that mattters)

Originally Posted by imvictor

indifferent.gif
he just came up to you randomly and said "dont do abs?"

maybe you were botching an ab exercise and he said it as an insult
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Club 27

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
No lol, I was about to do my first exercise, I thought it was because im skinny, idk
embarassed.gif

Another question: how many times a week should i do abs? Trying to get that six pack.

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
No lol, I was about to do my first exercise, I thought it was because im skinny, idk
embarassed.gif

Another question: how many times a week should i do abs? Trying to get that six pack.

dude was prolly jus ur typical gym idiot... maybe he meant dont overtrain your abs by going to the gym and doing 1000 exercises you coulda been doin at home?

alot of newbs in training go hard on the situps and v-ups and knee hangs and wonder why they have little progression. theres alot better compound core stabilizing routines you could be doing and obv cardio if its a 6 pack specifically your lookin for...

maybe you jus walked right in and started busting crunches and like Club said he was sneak dissin
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by diew its james

Originally Posted by DrTobaggan

OK serious question. And I don't know how this happened.

But lately I'm noticing that my left pec is getting bigger than my right. But my right arm is getting bigger than my left. It's not significant but noticeable.

If this keeps progressing I'm going to look like a knockoff picasso. Any advice on how to even this back out would be greatly appreciated.

I read somewhere that the left should be slightly bigger because your heart is under the muscle mass making it wider. I have the same problem with my chest but just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine
Your form is probably off, so you're pushing more with your left pec and right tricep. Take it slow and make sure you get your form perfect, ask your spotter to watch you from several different angles if possible.

If youre a beginner it should (hopefully) even out as you progress, but you saying its getting more noticeable points to it being your form, especially because its not just one pec, but the opposite arm as well.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

holy +%%*
how tall are you bro?

I'm 6'4 also lol

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

dude was prolly jus ur typical gym idiot... maybe he meant dont overtrain your abs by going to the gym and doing 1000 exercises you coulda been doin at home?

alot of newbs in training go hard on the situps and v-ups and knee hangs and wonder why they have little progression. theres alot better compound core stabilizing routines you could be doing and obv cardio if its a 6 pack specifically your lookin for...

maybe you jus walked right in and started busting crunches and like Club said he was sneak dissin
laugh.gif

Squats, dead lifts, pull ups are all you need for abs.
Havent done an ab exercise in almost 8 months.

Feels so liberating building my abs without flopping around like a fish on those mats 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

laugh.gif
Lol, thanks i'll try to get a better routine.
Thanks Club 27 and brettTHEjett as well.

Fellas, I think Im doing something wrong. My right side of my pelvic area kinda hurts whenever I stiffen my muscles and try to move my leg. I wouldnt call it the pelvic area now that I think about it. More so the upper art of my right thigh. Probably because of wrong squat form. But uh. Should I take a break from squats? I don't wanna stop going to the gym all together but at the sametime I don't want to get seriously injured because of my pride. What do guys?

alright guys.. got a question.. ive been doing the starting strength program recently.. and ive been getting good results so far but ive noticed my thighs are getting HUGE from doing squats 3 times a week (combination of my muscles getting bigger + fat around them).. i know im not supposed to change anything in the program cause its super fine tuned or whatever.. but is there anyway i prevent my thighs from getting like humungous.. i can barely fit into my jeans lol

big legs is something i really dont want.. i know thats looked down upon in the bodybuilding community (laugh/make fun of me all you want.. i dont mind.. just please give me some tips as well aha).. but im not trying to be a bodybuilder lol.. i actually like being slim and being able to wear slim fitting cloth, and my goal is to put on maybe 10-15 pounds of lean muscle..

for those doing sprints/HIIT, what do you guys think gets the best results? doing a certain # of sprints? doing a certain distance or time? what do you guys think? really trying to get this last bit of fat gone asap

Originally Posted by ngbetter11

alright guys.. got a question.. ive been doing the starting strength program recently.. and ive been getting good results so far but ive noticed my thighs are getting HUGE from doing squats 3 times a week (combination of my muscles getting bigger + fat around them).. i know im not supposed to change anything in the program cause its super fine tuned or whatever.. but is there anyway i prevent my thighs from getting like humungous.. i can barely fit into my jeans lol

big legs is something i really dont want.. i know thats looked down upon in the bodybuilding community (laugh/make fun of me all you want.. i dont mind.. just please give me some tips as well aha).. but im not trying to be a bodybuilder lol.. i actually like being slim and being able to wear slim fitting cloth, and my goal is to put on maybe 10-15 pounds of lean muscle..
not laughable at all, a workout routine should fit your goals 
SS doesn't fit yours, and TBH it doesn't fit 99% of people's.......bunch of out of shape "powerlifters" on the internet love telling people to do it but you'll look stupid if you stay on it 

try a 5 day body part split, you'll focus less on adding mass and strength to your quads and glutes and more on building a well rounded phsyique. 

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by ngbetter11

not laughable at all, a workout routine should fit your goals 
SS doesn't fit yours, and TBH it doesn't fit 99% of people's.......bunch of out of shape "powerlifters" on the internet love telling people to do it but you'll look stupid if you stay on it 

try a 5 day body part split, you'll focus less on adding mass and strength to your quads and glutes and more on building a well rounded phsyique. 

thanks for the quick reply! im kind of new to this.. ive been lifting for maybe 2-3 months now (the first 2 months were bs though cause i had no idea what i was doing, and wasnt resting or eating enough).. could you direct me to a 5 day split program for beginners? right now im at 150lb (dont know what my body fat % is).. im just trying to reach 160-165lb and ill be fine.. and like i said before.. i like being slim, so my goal is pretty much to stay the same size as i am, but to fill out my frame with more muscle (hopefully that makes sense) and lose some fat as well.

thanks again!

264810_10150239448688995_512703994_7514254_1628809_n.jpg

Anyone else you Keto Sticks to check their ketosis levels?
Ive decided to low carb all the way till contest (40-50g/day) and not do carb up days. When I do carb up days (200+g) it smooths me out.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

I3 wrote:
Quick question, how detrimental is caffine to overall health in the long run? I don't drink coffee, maybe had 10 cups of it my whole life. But tonight im rather sluggish and I want to hit the gym, had a strait coffee (no sugar, milk etc) as a pre-workout pick me the +@*@ up..
Drink it in moderation. If you start to feel tired and dependent, stop drinking for a bit.

Thanks.  I havent done it since.

I had a great workout today. First time in over 2 months I was able to do real squats and deadlifts, like with the bar. I had acl surgery in may and I was just like %+*@ it I hate not being able to have these in my routine. Just gotta ice it down now

Just a heads up for anyone lurkin or otherwise who is relatively new.

Went from $200++ on supps per month to absolutely no supps and I have progressed the same. The importance of eating real food is the single biggest contributing factor to any goal you are trying to reach. When you figure out your macros and you have 175g or whatever of protein, make sure that's ALL from food. if you seriously feel the need to go beyond that then feel free but you'll find the cost benefit to food is substantial in itself.

jack3d or a large black coffee for a pre workout? coffee.
three scoops whey and three scoops sugar post workout or chicken with rice or sweet potatoes? you get the picture

lol after using the juicy juice i cant buy supps

like ill buy preworkouts every now and then just cuz i like being all jacked up on mountain dew when i work out

and protein just cuz

but thats it man

everything else makes me laugh

Back
Top Bottom