The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
analytics aren't going anywhere. ignore them if you want, just know that the GMs of the teams you root for aren't.

I don't follow him that closely, but based on some stuff I remember reading in here, doesn't Simmons have a pretty questionable track record as a talent evaluator? I seem to recall him being really high on people that didn't pan out.

Bill has kinda mailed it in since grantland started popping honestly.

He still knows a lot, but talks out his A** based on consensus perception these days.

Speaking of people who dismiss analytics without having a clue what it entails...

How can the jury still be out on a 6-6 guy who sets up and gets his team in the offense. I mean the kid avg 16, 6 & 6. Where is this so called jury?

Turnovers, horrible outside shot, not great ballhandling. That enough?

Can't believe people on here were saying that :lol:

From what I've seen Exum has a great burst of speed and can improve fast in other areas of his game.

I think he'll log in serious minutes in a team's rotation for a long time

Wait til you see the Stanley Johnson slurp fest.

I see the same thing. He can be productive in time.

Speaking of people who dismiss analytics without having a clue what it entails...

Excellent. :lol:

I'm not even going to address Scott's latest gem; benching Nash in favor of Lin through the media instead of talking about it with Nash first.

How can the jury still be out on a 6-6 guy who sets up and gets his team in the offense. I mean the kid avg 16, 6 & 6. Where is this so called jury?

Turnovers, horrible outside shot, not great ballhandling. That enough?

this is spot on for our argument of analytics :lol:

16 6 6 looks good on paper. then you realize that the sixers had the highest pace in all of the NBA, and dead last in offensive rating. evan turner was the same way, put up nice looking numbers until you realized they're juiced because of pace.

So DooDooBe is back??

Hopefully he takes the other Spurs troll with him this time.

Lakers gonna Lake...

I ain't eem mad :smokin

this is spot on for our argument of analytics
laugh.gif

16 6 6 looks good on paper. then you realize that the sixers had the highest pace in all of the NBA, and dead last in offensive rating. evan turner was the same way, put up nice looking numbers until you realized they're juiced because of pace.
once again you don't need advanced stats to realize a team plays at a fast pace.

The Exum comments in here remind me a lot of the MCW comments last year around this time.

Let things play out. Preseason games aren't exactly the proper examples to pull out the "I don't get the hype" comments.

no way Vic. MCW was first team big east and proved himself vs very good comp.

2 things you knew

he was a playmaker on D and O

and he has heart.

Exum get out there that first game with the lights on and turn into Evan Turner.

this is spot on for our argument of analytics :lol:

once again you don't need advanced stats to realize a team plays at a fast pace.

and yet, he asked why MCW doesn't get love for putting up 16 6 and 6. not everyone watches the game and instantly picks up everything. the statistics are a good aide. you don't have to use one or the other. you use them together.

One of the dudes on that Open Court panel was Isiah Thomas.

Another was Shaq, whose eye test involves him judging how close a player is to himself.

Last edited:
and yet, he asked why MCW doesn't get love for putting up 16 6 and 6. not everyone watches the game and instantly picks up everything. the statistics are a good aide. you don't have to use one or the other. you use them together.
I though MCW was rookie of the year.  how does he not get love?

The Exum comments in here remind me a lot of the MCW comments last year around this time.

Let things play out. Preseason games aren't exactly the proper examples to pull out the "I don't get the hype" comments.

2 things you knew

and he has heart.

Exum get out there that first game with the lights on and turn into Evan Turner.
Sorry, but there's no Heart Rating in my calculator.

2 things you knew

and he has heart.

And what if he does? That means, at only 19 years old, with limited experience, his career ceiling is Evan Turner?

Kobe's quote on FirstTake is as real as it gets..if you don't respect him, it's because if his off the court court case and his ego. Dude keeps it real though.

"Listen: business is business. I think people get that confused very easily in understanding that players should take substantially leas than their market value in order to win championships."

Kobe OBVIOUSLY deserves every penny he's making....however, when guys like Tim Duncan and Dirk take less than their market value to improve their team roster flexibility, then I just don't know what to tell ya.

come on P, you smart enough to know the difference between somebody out there playing scared...and somebody out there going at peoples heads.

Excellent. :lol:

I'm not even going to address Scott's latest gem; benching Nash in favor of Lin through the media instead of talking about it with Nash first.

Why does every coach do this? I swear - I've never heard of a coach talk with a player and tell him he's being benched or why he's being benched or what the long term plan is. Every single time the coach just benches the guy. This convo would maybe take 3-4 minutes after or before a practice. Is it really that big of a deal? Do coaches not really talk to players in the NBA? Are they scared? Do they think the player should just deal with it? Wouldn't the player be 20x happier if he knew he was being benched temporarily just to experiment with new lineups or something?

I don't understand it. I can name a million examples of coaches doing this.

2 things you knew

and he has heart.

That's cool and all but I'm talking about the opinions on the players from the majority. Not many were high on MCW...using summer league and preseason games as a barometer for how he'd play in the season.

That's exactly what people are doing with Exum.

"8 turnovers in a preseason game...he's going to be trash"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom