*****The Official Crosstown Classic Thread the Chicago White Sox @ CHC - Floyd vs Zambrano*****

[h1]Guillen on Wrigley: 'I puke every time I go there'[/h1]
Comments

June 14, 2009

BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com

MILWAUKEE - The White Sox have never been shy about expressing their opinions of the team to the North Side and the ballpark they play in.

From general manager Ken Williams wishing Cubs fans a "happy anniversary'' on 100 years of futility last season, to manager Ozzie Guillen and John Danks criticizing the - believed by some Cubs fans - sacred ground that is Wrigley Field.

[img]http://media1.suntimes.com/mul...90614_13_53_07_599-116-165.imageContent[/img]

So why should Sunday, two days before the start of the annual cross-town rivalry, be any different?

Guillen has always stated his hatred for the three games played in Wrigley, with Danks jumping on board last year by calling it a "[bleep]hole'' and insisting that the entire place "smelled like urine.''

However, Guillen continued his pile-on before the series finale with Milwaukee, and actually explained why Cubs fans should respect his opinion, rather than hate him for it.

"Oh, I don't care if they hate me, the don't feed my kids,'' Guillen said of the Cubbie faithful. "They hate me, that's cool. People, no matter how famous you are, they hate you or they love you. I see the other day they asked [Joe] Crede about the rats [in Wrigley], at least I have something that people can read and write and listen to, but I never put the Cubs fans down, I've always admired the Cubs office, I always made my feelings known about Cubs players, about the manager, about Lou [Piniella] now, [general manager] Jim Hendry and the way I respect them, a lot, a lot, but Wrigley Field? I puke every time I go there. I'm just being honest.

"If the Cubs fans don't like the way I talk about Wrigley Field … I don't say anything about their fans, but Wrigley Field? They have to respect my opinion because that's the way I feel. A lot of great people are working there, the clubhouse people working there - I wish they had a better clubhouse, but besides that, it's exciting when the game starts. Of course it's exciting because that's one of the best, it's always crowded. But besides that, it's terrible.''

Guillen went onto say that if he was singling out Cubs personnel or the color of the uniform, that would be different. Then he would understand why Cubs fans dislike his comments. But an old building?

"I'd rather have somebody say you hate the place you live, rather than the people who live in it,'' Guillen said. "I never say I hate the players, the organization or the Cubs uniforms, then it's something bad.

"Every time I walk to Wrigley Field, people treat me like a king. The people that work at Wrigley field, like the front office people, the security guards, the people who work there are very honest and treat me well. I just hate the building.''

Overrated dump....world's largest beer garden

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I love Ozzie Guillen. When you meet him, he's such a different person. But through the media, he's the man.

And
laugh.gif
@ the title.

My Venezuelans are crazy.

I'll definitely be watching this series.

Go Sox baby. I went to Miller park on Saturday to watch that woopin. Also got tix for game 1 at the Cell on the 26th I think (Friday). Anyone else goin to thatgame?

Best case scenario: the White Sox get swept.

I will also accept the Cubs winning two out of three, as long as somebody gets punched in the head.

I don't have the energy for this yet, maybe in a couple days I'll get going.
laugh.gif

If Z were to throw a brushback when Ozzie out there exchangin lineups, I'd be ok with that. Just sayin

I'm starting to wonder if this game will be one of those end of season make up games. Where if it matters they will play, if not it will never count.

Back
Top Bottom