The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

i just picked up a d7000, and i am going to NY in two weeks, i have the 50mm lens already, but any suggestions on something else?

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by burstmode7d

The thermos and the mug... WHERE CAN I COP?!!

you can cop the mug at amazon, got it as a gift. as for the thermos, it's not really a thermos...it's my lens. needed an idea for a pic so i pretended that it was a thermos. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jdidkc

i just picked up a d7000, and i am going to NY in two weeks, i have the 50mm lens already, but any suggestions on something else?
maybe a wide angle lens? when i shoot in NY, the first lens i reach for is the 50. i find the 50 has a good enough reach on a crop sensor without being too limited. but sometimes i'll bring my 24 when i want to get a whole street scene or buildings. the 24 lets me get REAL close to people without them thinking i was taking shots at them. i frame them to the side a little bit and shoot, the wideness allows me to do that. but you can't go wrong with the nifty fifty. if you've got a kit lens, bring it too.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

The thermos and the mug... WHERE CAN I COP?!!

you can cop the mug at amazon, got it as a gift. as for the thermos, it's not really a thermos...it's my lens. needed an idea for a pic so i pretended that it was a thermos. 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
That'd be one of the sicckest thermos if it was real man. Great pics btw

Got myself a scanner now. Lovin it. I got a lotta negatives to digitalize and hopefully I will share it here soon.

One more from the 1st Hasselblad roll
5520871586_c5f400e05e_z.jpg

Ok this is kind of a long read...ive been lurkin for months but i think its time to ask you guys for help. Im sorry for all the words, i just really need some help.
Burstmode, adobo, you guys have amazing shots...do you guys think you can share with me what cameras you use? Also, what was your guys first DLSR's?
Also, i know this has probably been talked about somewhere in this thread but can someone break down of the different lenses you guys purchase to add to your collections? What makes a lense worth spending 500 dollars on when your camera that you already spent 900 comes with one? Im sorry for the noob questions, i know i can just google but if one of you guys would be nice enough to help me out i would appreciate it. You guys really seem to know your cameras.

P.S. I have a budget of 900 to get started on photography past a beggining level. Im a graphic designer so i have photoshop, illustrator, etc down...but the problem is when it comes to photography theres so many recommendations for cameras i really have a hard time deciding what to choose. I have a basic photography background from school so im way passt point and shoots. Im just tired of depending on other people for photos when it comes down to my design projects, i want to be able to take my own and make more profit off of my business. I hope thats enough info about me to help with some kind of reccomendation, when it comes to photoshop im pretty good but when it comes to choosing cameras themselves i suck, i cant tell the difference between a D40 and a D80...i have no idea why it has such a big price difference...just being honest 
embarassed.gif

Just learned how to do this during a blackout after the big earthquake in Japan.
TPyih.jpg

Mount Fuji
q1sbO.jpg

random shots
jog9h.jpg

v5X61.jpg

pndTE.jpg

How do I take photos of sunsets/moons/etc? my pics always come out like this..
lgcfP.jpg

^you might need a filter...that's my guess although i don't know too much about it. maybe a polarizing filter or something...

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

Ok this is kind of a long read...ive been lurkin for months but i think its time to ask you guys for help. Im sorry for all the words, i just really need some help.
Burstmode, adobo, you guys have amazing shots...do you guys think you can share with me what cameras you use? Also, what was your guys first DLSR's?
Also, i know this has probably been talked about somewhere in this thread but can someone break down of the different lenses you guys purchase to add to your collections? What makes a lense worth spending 500 dollars on when your camera that you already spent 900 comes with one? Im sorry for the noob questions, i know i can just google but if one of you guys would be nice enough to help me out i would appreciate it. You guys really seem to know your cameras.

P.S. I have a budget of 900 to get started on photography past a beggining level. Im a graphic designer so i have photoshop, illustrator, etc down...but the problem is when it comes to photography theres so many recommendations for cameras i really have a hard time deciding what to choose. I have a basic photography background from school so im way passt point and shoots. Im just tired of depending on other people for photos when it comes down to my design projects, i want to be able to take my own and make more profit off of my business. I hope thats enough info about me to help with some kind of reccomendation, when it comes to photoshop im pretty good but when it comes to choosing cameras themselves i suck, i cant tell the difference between a D40 and a D80...i have no idea why it has such a big price difference...just being honest 
embarassed.gif
Hey man, I shoot with a 7D and I believe adobo shoots with a 5D Mark II. My first DSLR was an Olympus E-volt E500, learned the basics on that before I gave it to my girl. Lenses vary in price because you pay for, the most part, what you get. The most expensive lenses have better build quality, better optics, have IS, and you are paying for the NAME. Expensive zoom lenses maintain the same aperture which lets in more light, better at low light. You often hear that it's not always about the lens/camera and that it's about the photographer and I suppose that's true, but it sure does help to have some good equipment...it makes things easier.
In terms of cameras, it's really up to you to decide what you want. Having a Nikon vs Canon depends on personal preference. People argue all the time, but to me, they're pretty much the same thing. You have to know what you want to shoot. Cameras are the same thing, you pay for the name, build quality, features and such. Is video important? If not, will you do a lot of low light shooting? Hard to say what a good camera is for a person, but here are my suggestions...

On the Canon side, for a beginner a T1i and a T2i are both steals. Powerhouses in fact, can both shoot HD video and for the price, the features are good. Lowlight shooting, depending on the body, can get expensive so for lenses why not shoot with PRIME lenses? Zoom lenses with fixed apertures cost a ton of money but Prime lenses are cheaper, have faster aperture, and in my opinion, teach you how to frame and compose better. You use your legs to compose instead of always depending on zooms. I say why not a 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/1.8 or f/2.0, 35mm f/1.8

Also, go to a camera store and get the feel for the camera...ergonomics, to me, are very important. You want to be able to handle the camera well without hating holding it. 

there is some great stuff in here.  i recently picked up a hasselblad this past february.  i'm a little over my head shooting with film but i'll get there.  the hardest part is properly using the light meter, but i have some great mentors that have been amazing in helping me out.  i recently took a trip to new orleans (sidenote:  if you have not been there, please go.  it is one of my favorite cities in america.) and here is one of the shots i took.  keep up the work everyone.
nK8pH.jpg

Finally copped a Canon 5D Mark II and a 430ex II. I'm tapped out on photo equipment for a while, but wanted opinions on diffusers...are the Gary Fongs worth the money or are there any recommendations for some of the generic models?

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

Burstmode, adobo, you guys have amazing shots...do you guys think you can share with me what cameras you use? Also, what was your guys first DLSR's?=
sup man, thanks. i use a canon 5dii and a canon 20d. the canon rebel xt was my first dslr. i think burstmode pretty much covered all of your questions, i would only reiterate what was said. as far as a nikon/canon debate, i have to double cosign his point of personal preference. both sides have the ability to produce amazing results. i think people like to argue about it just for the sake of arguing, the debate is of no interest to me.

streetpharmacist: search youtube for photoshop sharpening, there are tons of tutorials.
bluesurferx: post more man. new orleans is a favorite of mine too.  i live about 3-4 hours away

Back
Top Bottom