The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Man those came out better than 99% of anyone's first attempt! You are a natural fam!

[COLOR=#red]Fong is no rookie, I expected this from him actually. Great stuff dude, just imagine when you really get comfortable. Your friend's are photogenic in a natural everyday people sort of way. I guess that gets lost in this everybody a stunna Instagram era :lol:

For pics though it's smart to take the smartphones and stuff out of suit pockets for a cleaner look. I found out that when I was getting pictures taken for me and my then lady by a professional photog when we were in the Cayman Islands.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
yasukuni shrine

mitama matsuri

place was packed

^Dope!!! Light painted?

nah, haven't been able to do any light painting yet...just the overhead lighting in the parking garage, nothing crazy; you can see how the lights create spotlights from this pic, and i just underexposed the image a bit to get deeper blacks (shooting raw, of course, helps a lot with getting details back):

I still don't know how to pose people properly but I don't think my friend is really photogenic either. Still no excuse though.

hahaha, #coldblooded...for serious tho, as you said "no excuse" its your task to figure out how to make it 'photgenic,' that comes with practice though...technically very well shot & edited images, maybe not grande or magical (not that they need to be) but i think the 1st one is the most successful toward that goal with the composition (though its seems like they could/should be closer together?), background & lens

tokes99 tokes99 Not sure exactly what to call it but how do you achieve that faded look?

by pulling the black point (the bottom of the red in the attached image) up on the curves adjustment in photoshop (it is pretty much the same in Lightroom with the tone curve), there are probably other ways to do this but that is the way I know how...

[COLOR=#red]I think it's not too much of a stretch to say that the best images are due more to great and creative post-processing than it is about the camera itself.[/COLOR]

Here's my attempt at shooting wedding stuff. I still don't know how to pose people properly but I don't think my friend is really photogenic either. Still no excuse though. I had like 30-40 minutes to shoot and these are the posed stuff. My buddy got married in city hall and even that simple ceremony, I had a lot of bad shots or just not magical. A challenge for the most part. I'd like to do more even as practice.

houngry-1.jpg
Pictures came out really really good for your first wedding attempt, i would say they just look somewhat stiff but i don't think that has anything to do with you besides making them feel comfortable. Great Job

elderwatsondiggs elderwatsondiggs made a good point about the smartphones in the pockets too, thats something ill take note of if i get to shoot a wedding.

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]
For pics though it's smart to take the smartphones and stuff out of suit pockets for a cleaner look. I found out that when I was getting pictures taken for me and my then lady by a professional photog when we were in the Cayman Islands.[/COLOR]

Wow.....never would have thought to think of that. It is interesting that the littlest things count when shooting this stuff. Even my friend's jacket should have been buttoned up. Good to know for next time.

hahaha, #coldblooded...for serious tho, as you said "no excuse" its your task to figure out how to make it 'photgenic,' that comes with practice though...technically very well shot & edited images, maybe not grande or magical (not that they need to be) but i think the 1st one is the most successful toward that goal with the composition (though its seems like they could/should be closer together?), background & lens

Definitely no magical shots. It sucks though. I am looking at my photo set and I am realizing that I literally only used like two poses. It was either look in the camera, or look into each other. I have no idea why I didn't ask them to like kiss each other or look at each or smile. So a lot of the stuff looks repetitive even if we shot in a different area. I guess I got to make more of a mental note and make them do other things.

But thanks for the props everyone. At least from a hobby stand point, this was a fun challenge and something I'd like to do again but just for fun and not for business. I give way more respect to the people that do this on a daily basis. From the photos you would could never tell but there were so many damn people at City Hall and even a small African dance performance there too. There was constant surveyors that I had to constantly tell to move away just to get a shot with no people in it. The little stress that I had just didn't make it worth it and I bet if this was a full wedding that there'd be so many other elements to deal with.

I almost asked earlier does city hall shut down temporarily for weddings, since I didn't see anyone else around, lol

tokes99 tokes99 Not sure exactly what to call it but how do you achieve that faded look?

I never knew how to do this until a few days ago.

When I first took this photo I didn't like it but after learning a few more things and adding a few tweaks I like the outcome of it.

Enzo by Mayank4585, on Flickr

The way I added the fade effect is adding a bit of "offset" to it in CS6. I didn't add too much of a faded look to it since I didn't like how it looked.

@Fongstarr That's an awesome job for your first attempt!

Just wondering anyone know what decent tripod to get for a low price? Been searching and I feel like I shouldn't be paying $80 - $100 for a fancy tripod, found one for $10 but idk if it's worth it

Last edited:
@Nawzlew  Yeah I have a dslr, preciate it, I was definitely about to go the cheap route but I guess not. Just alittle anxious to play around with shutter speeds with getting the blur from hand movement.

@Nawzlew
 Yeah I have a dslr, preciate it, I was definitely about to go the cheap route but I guess not. Just alittle anxious to play around with shutter speeds with getting the blur from hand movement.

I use to buy cheap tripods, wasted so much money on them. They would break all the time. I wouldn't want plastic holding up my DSLR which can sometimes consist of a grip, body itself, and large lens.

Yeah that makes sense, I guess its true that you get what you pay for. I saw a youtube video, where a guy used the tripod mount that screws in the bottom of the camera and connected string from it, using his feet to hold down the string (if that makes sense) and using that has a makeshift tripod. But I doubt that even keeps the camera stable lol.

Back
Top Bottom