The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Scratch that, if you contact them they said they will ship to the US but can only accept bank transfer payments. You do have to pay duties but it seems they are willing to lower it a bit so they charge you less. Some Datejusts are going for 20% off (because they remove VAT too), which is a lot for a brand new.

You can calculate the duties here: http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

You can only calculate about 4-5 times before they ask you to pay so use it wisely. In general though Rolex duty fees cost 6% plus processing fees. The lower the declared value (which they seem like they would to some extent) the lower your duty fees.

Now the best way to buy is if you have the time to fly over there and buy in person, the more you buy the better too as no import and VAT is removed.

depending on what you buy it may actually be worth it to fly over lol

Yup. Plenty declares to go to Hong Kong just to buy watches just because they offer bigger discounts there. It pretty much pays for the trip/vacation for others. If you have the time that is.

If you can proxy for people too, you can make a killing. If I were one of those jewelery stores in the jewelry thread, I'd get someone to figure out how much discount they can get, maybe even ask for extra discount if they buy loads of them and send someone over to the UK. You might end up paying plenty if you are bringing in loads of Rolexes to the US though. That could end up being big trouble but then again I am no import expert.

Any of y'all had any luck buying used Rolexes? DJ/DJ2? Sorry I haven't read the thread lol

It's really all about the sellers reputation and knowing your watches.

If you visit rolexforums or other watch forums, you will find plenty of reputable sellers who can provide good deals on new or used and stand by the watches they sell.

Jewelers, same thing. Just got to find one you trust and have good reputation and won't mess with you.

There are plenty of Authorized Dealers and franchise jewelry store that buys and sells used Rolexes, those usually inspect their watches to make they are 100% authentic.

With Ebay, again all about reputation and references. If the seller has no records and the price is too good to be true, then it probably is.

It's really all about the sellers reputation and knowing your watches.

If you visit rolexforums or other watch forums, you will find plenty of reputable sellers who can provide good deals on new or used and stand by the watches they sell.

Jewelers, same thing. Just got to find one you trust and have good reputation and won't mess with you.

There are plenty of Authorized Dealers and franchise jewelry store that buys and sells used Rolexes, those usually inspect their watches to make they are 100% authentic.

With Ebay, again all about reputation and references. If the seller has no records and the price is too good to be true, then it probably is.
Was reading on the rolex forums that a lot of used rolex are resold with non original rolex parts, just food for thought.

Again you're going to have to buy from a reputable seller. A great seller that the forums knows will not do you dirty like that. If anything is changed on the watch, they'll let you know.

Again you're going to have to buy from a reputable seller. A great seller that the forums knows will not do you dirty like that. If anything is changed on the watch, they'll let you know.

Hmmmmm... I was thinking more of a commercial retail location, like Mayor's. But I will check out the rolex forums as well. Thanks

I'm not familiar with Mayor's but a place like Tourneau will be a pretty safe place to buy used Rolexes but you aren't going to get the best prices in those type of stores.

They could ship but make sure you (everyone) knows the risks.

Rolex & USA shipments In an attempt to protect their trademarks Rolex USA have registered their name & designs with the US Customs. Because of this US Customs will seize all Rolex watches which have not been bought new from an authorised US retailer. There are only two possible exemptions to this rule:

When the watch has been bought overseas and is being imported by the purchaser in person and is declared to the US Customs on entry to the US. This exemption is at the discretion of the individual customs agent and normally covers only one watch per person.
If the purchaser can produce a letter from Rolex USA or the company’s attorney authorising them to import the watch. Please note in over ten years that I have never known any collector or dealer to be able to obtain such a letter.

Again read up on it before plunging thousand of dollars but it seems the key factor is "new" so maybe if the store can label them used the it won't be a problem?

Assume they could ship - good price even factoring in currency exchange (i.e. - THAT good of sale)?
They could ship but make sure you (everyone) knows the risks.
Again read up on it before plunging thousand of dollars but it seems the key factor is "new" so maybe if the store can label them used the it won't be a problem?

I thought in your post to that London shop you said "Sucks that they can't ship to the US."

I'm saying though, even if they could, the dollar is 1.65 conversion to pound, it'd have to be a hell of a sale in order to make up that difference versus buying locally.

You have more experience in buying a Rolex, so I'm asking if the prices at Bankslyon are truly that good?

Yah but I followed it up with this post after I spoke to them...

Scratch that, if you contact them they said they will ship to the US but can only accept bank transfer payments.

Prices on some pieces are good, some Datejusts are 20% off then minus the VAT (which is another ~20%). Whatever their listed prices are, just divide it by ~1.2 and you get the approximate price after VAT removal. They'll also lower the value so you won't incur too much duty fees.

So yeah the discount can be huge. Now not all watches are on sale, like their BLNR/Batman GMT II is listed for retail still, demand is still high in some parts of the world I guess. But I did calculate the price I would have gotten on the BLNR and it owuld have totaled to about ~$8200k after duty fees and all if I declare it's retail value, slightly less if the store declares the value lower. Some stores in the US aren't moving on discount on the BLNR and others actually have a list like the Daytona. So I think that price is pretty good. My dealer offered me about $500 more that price tax included but again others aren't offering discounts. For me, the $500 savings isn't worth it but for others, it might be and if their dealers aren't giving discounts on it, then it becomes more tempting.

Last edited:
Yah but I followed it up with this post after I spoke to them...
Prices on some pieces are good, some Datejusts are 20% off then minus the VAT (which is another ~20%). Whatever their listed prices are, just divide it by ~1.2 and you get the approximate price after VAT removal. They'll also lower the value so you won't incur too much duty fees.

So yeah the discount can be huge. Now not all watches are on sale, like their BLNR/Batman GMT II is listed for retail still, demand is still high in some parts of the world I guess. But I did calculate the price I would have gotten on the BLNR and it owuld have totaled to about ~$8200k after duty fees and all if I declare it's retail value, slightly less if the store declares the value lower. Some stores in the US aren't moving on discount on the BLNR and others actually have a list like the Daytona. So I think that price is pretty good. My dealer offered me about $500 more that price tax included but again others aren't offering discounts. For me, the $500 savings isn't worth it but for others, it might be and if their dealers aren't giving discounts on it, then it becomes more tempting.

Ah I missed that follow up, thanks for clarifying!

I once dreamed of going to Switzerland to get mine since I love that country, but man..currency exchange and taxes had me re-think all that!

View media item 1214635

crappy pic but the watch that caught my attention at this lil hole in the wall store

old guy was very nice an we just talked about watches for minute, 18ct date just but it was really old he said he they basically refinished it

thing has some nice weight to it, the price was ridic lol he said like 20k..............he was like "you never know you could hit the lotto an come back"

thing was heavy, overpriced though right? it looked super clean.

Last edited:
Refinished on a ROlex or any watch is a big, giant NO NO!!!

And the sag on that bracelet. :x

Easy pass to me.

They are never gonna sell that watch lol.

I think I know what you mean by sag. I noticed that.

Last edited:
View media item 1214635

crappy pic but the watch that caught my attention at this lil hole in the wall store

old guy was very nice an we just talked about watches for minute, 18ct date just but it was really old he said he they basically refinished it

thing has some nice weight to it, the price was ridic lol he said like 20k..............he was like "you never know you could hit the lotto an come back"

thing was heavy, overpriced though right? it looked super clean.

$20k is the rip off price.

You could just get a DDII for about $3-4k more if you look long enough.

Heck, for $20k you can find the 116718 GMT Master II and you'll have not only a new watch but solid gold instead of that hollow bracelet that'll have a seizure when you wear it.

Can someone reccomend me a watch for under 1k? anything is cool . 

Anything is cool? Just go to a store and point at a watch. If its under $1000, buy it. If not, repeat.

If you want a serious suggestion, I recommend reading the very first page of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom