The Tragedy of Allen Iverson.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by Antidope

I want him to retire in the NBA, he deserves that. He was a hero for young black kids everywhere, it hurts to see him go out like this

He's a hero to young black kids? Ummm

How dare you question what we find heroic ?Some of you dudes kill me with the slick comments.

Originally Posted by ai3mac1

Man
frown.gif
favorite basketball player ever. I'm always gonna root for him.

I use to like watching this guy as a kid,

But I just can't feel sorry for a man like this, He did this to himself, His own fault.

30t6p3b.gif

--Great basketball player but too defiant.
--I can kinda feel for dude but he did it to himself. He's not like a victim of the system or somethin.

Man I remember watching this dude in the league like it was yesterday, cat was a crazy ball player.. Although it's his on fault it's still sad to hear someone you once idolize as a kid go through some +*@+ like this 
frown.gif

Waste of talent if you ask me. I know personally inside Gtown, Thompson tried reaching this kid to help him grow & take advantage of the free education, but dude was lost then. His career can be summed up as runnning really fast in place without ever going anywhere...

Man, AI wasn't the best role model, and to be honest had he grown up he could've been a much better ball player, and person. But one thing you can't deny is that the man was a icon, not just because of his skills on the court. He stood for something, weather you see it as negative or not is up to you, but his soul, and heart made him who he is. Even now at rock bottom, and even though in our eyes he never grew up, he stood by his beliefs and ultimately was a man about his. Yeah a lot of players come from nothing, but AI as selfish as he seemed lived for his people (which is why he is at rock bottom), his people took advantage, but for 15 years not only was he living right, but he can really say all his people were too. These people all came from nothing, he brought them out of the hell of poverty and changed all their life. He's simply a hood dude, and that comes with a lot of bad traits, but too often everyone ignores his good ones. In a place where it's easier to fall into the negative than the positive, he made a decent person out of his self. When he made it out he stayed true to himself, and his people. Simply a man who is who he is, and stands by what he believes. Weather they be right or wrong, you can't deny that's admirable. In a world today, where all these dudes is out here pretending for entertainment purposes, molding themselves to appeal to the masses, AI is missed. Nobodies real anymore, there's no personality, everything is tainted to acquire the proper "image". I appreciate him for what he was, flaws and all. 

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

What an awfully written article
laugh.gif
AI is no tragedy.
I think your missing the point of the article.  The writer isnt making AI out to the holocaust or anything butAI's own problems were the symptoms of a greater societal issues.
As Blackmag said, AI never grew up because he never had anyone to teach him how to grow up and be a man.

Just a role model for being yourself? I guess, he could have carried himself differently during some situations....but I can't judge the guy.

and to be honest had he grown up he could've been a much better ball player, and person.

Definitely.

Guy never grew up and when it was all said and done he didn't wish to assimilate his game for the better and was too stubborn, once he left the Sixers he just wasn't the same.

One of my favorite players in the late 90's early '00's. One of the most tenacious players in the game. I loved watching him play in his prime.
With that said, I will never feel sympathy for gifted athletes/performers/professionals who have fallen for grace.

Hope he finds a way to pick himself back up again though.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

and to be honest had he grown up he could've been a much better ball player, and person.

Definitely.

Guy never grew up and when it was all said and done he didn't wish to assimilate his game for the better and was too stubborn, once he left the Sixers he just wasn't the same.
Then again his mentality is what made him on the court. The mental toughness, the stubbornness is what made him so cold, what made him keep attacking after taking hits, play through pain, disregard injuries, and just go out there and play his heart out. It isn't as easy as most think to completely change your mentality after so many years, especially when that's what you've been praised for, and that's what has made you great. So although I wish he could've adjusted, I do understand why he couldn't, I do understand that growing up for him meant becoming a shell of what was once great, that carries into all aspects of life when your life revolves around the court. 

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

AI never grew up.

This says it all...

The older I got, the clearer it became that A.I. was going about things all wrong. The braids were a lot cooler in 2001 than ‘09, especially since they were worn by someone 26, not 34.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

If AI was a good role model than god bless our youth.
I swear some of you dudes don't read. Who said he was a good role model?
Well when you call someone a HERO that usually comes with a positive connotation...

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by Antidope

I want him to retire in the NBA, he deserves that. He was a hero for young black kids everywhere, it hurts to see him go out like this

He's a hero to young black kids? Ummm

Of course he was a hero.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

What an awfully written article
laugh.gif
AI is no tragedy.
I think your missing the point of the article.  The writer isnt making AI out to the holocaust or anything butAI's own problems were the symptoms of a greater societal issues.
As Blackmag said, AI never grew up because he never had anyone to teach him how to grow up and be a man.
Nah, the article is awful because all it's doing is pointing out AI's downfall without much/any kind of insight or opinion as to why or how society should view AIs example. He starts off saying AI hit the pitfall many lottery winners have. Okay. There's one line where he mentions how foolish it was for him to financially support his entourage but he just leaves it at that. The rest of it is just drivel about how this writer looked up to AI because he was "nonconformist" while getting paid millions of dollars to play professional basketball. Get out of here with that 
laugh.gif
 I can't feel sorry for someone who can blow all of that away with poor decisions regardless of their background. Him not knowing that supporting your twenty friends from back in the day, buying all that jewelry, multiple sports cars, and mansions would lead to financial ruin in the long run is no reason to feel sorry for a guy. I loved AI as a basketball player but this article is trying to paint a sympathetic picture and I personally feel it's reaching hard. Not every star that falls from grace is someone worth feeling sorry for.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Self-inflicted. You don't stay wealthy by supporting half of VA.

I read an article one about his Mother gettin' her car impounded and instead of getting it out, she copped a new whip within an hour.

yea he had too many people to feed

Back
Top Bottom