The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

I can't believe Ronaldo is going to be in a Real Madrid jersey playing on Saturday, I feel like the dude deserves like a month off after Tuesday. That's goes for all the footballers, these dudes are traveling across the globe for games and whatnot, the South American players in Europe have it the worst. I don't know when these dudes sleep, there schedule must be all messed up.

Suarez played last night, and he'll be playing for Liverpool on Saturday lol

As far as sleep goes, you know they sleep on the planes. It's not like they're on regular planes like you and I. At the end of the day, they're getting paid MILLIONS to do something most of us pay to do (if u happen to play in a league)

Hunned dolla bills wipe the tears from my eyes

Last edited:
I can't believe Ronaldo is going to be in a Real Madrid jersey playing on Saturday, I feel like the dude deserves like a month off after Tuesday. That's goes for all the footballers, these dudes are traveling across the globe for games and whatnot, the South American players in Europe have it the worst. I don't know when these dudes sleep, there schedule must be all messed up.

Lol I was on instagam earlier and saw that Ronaldo was practicing with Madrid today. I felt the same, like damn he only took a day off after that ? :lol:

I agree he should be in, but in terms of viewers and advertising dollars Rinaldo getting in is more important

IMO Sweden and Portugal should never have been set in a playoff like that
I could be wrong but, I dont think the viewership would have been affected that much.

Last edited:
Continuing the conversation of Ronnie being a good teammate or not, Pique rates Ronnie a #10 as a teammate from their days at Man U...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spai...ronaldo-is-the-perfect-team-mate?ICID=HP_BN_1

Pique: Cristiano Ronaldo is the perfect team-mate

The Barcelona defender believes the comparisons between the Portugal international and Lionel Messi spurs both of them on to be better players

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique had admitted his admiration for Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo, saying he is perfect as a team-mate.

Before moving to Spain as Clasico rivals, the two players were colleagues at Manchester United and the Camp Nou centre-back admits seeing the Portuguese star at close quarters has given him a positive opinion.

Pique told Esport3: "As a team-mate, Cristiano Ronaldo is a perfect ‘10’.

“I admire him professionally because he sets an example to follow both as a player and as a person."

The long-running debate over who is the world’s best player shows no sign of ending as Ballon d’Or voting continues and Pique believes the rivalry between Ronaldo and his current team-mate Lionel Messi spurs both of them on to greater heights.

The 26-year-old continued: "Cristiano's good turn of form will make Messi come back with even greater enthusiasm.

“The competition between Messi and Cristiano has made both of them better."

Despite sitting top of La Liga, Barcelona have come in for criticism at stages this season and the Spain international concluded by admitting Gerardo Martino’s side can still improve.

"We could play better - the debate over our style is a wide-ranging one,” said Pique.

"But the team that won six titles was not just the best Barca team; it was the best in the history of football."

Pique and Ronaldo secretly have man crushes on one another.

I agree with him tho, I think the comparisons have fueled both of them. Especially Ronaldo. I never thought he would have been scoring 40 plus goals a season before he went to Madrid, he barely scored 20 goals in his last season in Man U. I'm still amazed that a winger is able to produce like this. We've never seen anything like it.

Wonder if these Barca rumors about targeting a top CF is going to force Messi to go back into the RW position. Tata seems like he's traditional and wants an old-fashioned CF. That's if these rumors are true.

Soccer fan checking in 

As a Barcelona supporter, Ronaldo deserves this Ballon d' Or 

Dude has been killing it all season long 

Still sad Ibra wont be in the WC 
frown.gif
 Huge fan of his  

All this Ronaldo and Ibra, France, and Ballon D'Or talk is overshadowing the fact that England lost twice at home in a week, being severly outplayed in both matches not even scoring a goal. World Cup draw for next year will have like 3-4 groups of death. Would not be surprised if they don't move forward.

I dont think any England supporter full expects us to seriously compete with the current crop of players and imo the realistic target to be completive at a major tournament is France 2016 (as players like Lampard and Gerrard suuuuurely cant keep getting a chance to fail to lead the country anywhere at major tournaments...right? :nerd:)
Yes it was two losses but Roy was trying out new players vs Chile, England had 2 debutants on the wing in Lallana and Rodriguez (Lallana played well imo, but Rodriguez was totally invisible). Credit to Chile though they were sooo poised in possession and some of the their build up play was top notch. If Beausejour could shoot the game would have a been a total thumping :lol:

The Germany loss wasn't surprising at all, Germany's second team coulld/would easily win some games in Brazil, and give most countries first XI a good run as they are that deep. That doesn't excuse way the team set up, the lack of urgency/fight bar select periods, or the total lack of link between midfield and attack. Cleverly is simply not good enough to play for England, and what Smalling was doing/marking during all 3 crosses leading up to conceding I'll never know. :smh:

Yes two losses at home, things didnt look good, but again I'll just look at it as Roy still trying out some stuff. I'll take two losses in some friendlies against good competition if it means he's got a better idea of how to get the most out of his squad (and how to pick the best team and not the best XI players) over rolling over some weaker opposition while we play our first XI just to get the win. Also for a bit of context on what England can do, just a reminder, earlier this year England's first XI held Brazil to a draw in the Maracanã and before that they beat them at Wembley. If we dont get put into a incredibly tough group, our first choice players get/stay fit, and players like Carroll, Wellbeck, Cleverly and Milner aren't getting game time..hell even on the plane to Rio, who knows what could happen at the WC (again in terms of getting out of the group stages :lol:)

/Long post about England's NT that nobody really cares about. :lol:

Dortmund/Bayern.

Sadly Dortmund will be without Gündogan and their entire first choice back 4 (Piszczek's been out for a while, Subotic got hurt a couple weeks ago and is out for the season and Hummels and Schmelzer both got hurt vs England)

Huge buzkill going into such a big game and sadly there is really is only one outcome at the weekend (and potentially the title race given the form of Bayern this season). Klopp must be livid at Löw. :lol:

Last edited:
Man, England is a mess. Granted the ahems were friendlies but they were completely outclassed by Chile & the German B & C team. I understand why the FA hired him but Hodgson's sides have looked woefully unprepared for many of the games since he's taken charge. He's been bailed out by brilliant performances from Rooney & flashes from likes of Stevie G...

Kloop will be without this starting back 4 vs Bayern.. :x

United interested in Draxler. Would be a huge signing for Moyes at a costly fee. I've hyped Drax for a while now at Schalke. Bundles of potential.

Whered you see this? I'm a fan of Draxler too :nerd:

Goal. Take it with a grain of salt. It make sense because he's very young and United needs a CAM if Kagawa's not the answer.

lee-corso1.jpg

Do you think Germany have produced more and better young players than England in the last five years?
(Background laughter) We have a lot of good young players in Germany and we have a very good national team. In English football we see many good players - like Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey (Draxler is interrupted and told that Ramsey is Welsh). (Laughs) Let's talk about Jack Wilshere…

What is the difference between the styles of Germany and England?
That's a difficult question to answer. I can speak about us. We have very talented footballers who play nice football, short passes, fast passes, and we have players like Mesut Özil who can make a difference. The last games of England I didn't see. But my opinion is that they work football and we play football (laughter).

Would you like to play in the Premier League and do you think you are ready?
I like English football. I like the Premier League of course - it's one of the best leagues in the world. You have big clubs like Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea - of course it's a big dream to play for one of them. I have my favourite team, but at the moment I'm at Schalke. I don't want to talk about other clubs. If I state Arsenal or Manchester United, maybe I'd read it tomorrow in the newspapers (laughs).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24910729

I have always said English teams are very big clubs and Arsenal is of course one of them.

“Of course I sometimes speak to Mesut or Per about the team, about the club, and they always have good words and they tell me nice things. You never know what happens in the summer but Arsenal is a very, very nice team.”

Draxler also went on to explain why the Gunners remain an attractive proposition for him.

He went on: “They always have very young players, they play attractive football and that’s what I like.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-julian-draxler-2813902

BZd_tAqIEAEgz_r.jpg

Talks up Arsenal, talks up England players like Jack....and Ramsey :lol: Talks to Per and Özil about life at Arsenal, and swaps shirts with Jack after the match.....

He wants us. :nthat:

DEEEEEEEEEAL WITH IT!
arsene-wenger-manages-a-smile-pic-getty-899923891.jpg

:lol:

damn, just saw Kevin Hartman retired. Only player to reach 400 mark in games played in the MLS.

Flame suit on :rolleyes

Nevermind

Last edited:
I dont think any England supporter full expects us to seriously compete with the current crop of players and imo the realistic target to be completive at a major tournament is France 2016 (as players like Lampard and Gerrard suuuuurely cant keep getting a chance to fail to lead the country anywhere at major tournaments...right? :nerd:)
Yes it was two losses but Roy was trying out new players vs Chile, England had 2 debutants on the wing in Lallana and Rodriguez (Lallana played well imo, but Rodriguez was totally invisible). Credit to Chile though they were sooo poised in possession and some of the their build up play was top notch. If Beausejour could shoot the game would have a been a total thumping :lol:

The Germany loss wasn't surprising at all, Germany's second team coulld/would easily win some games in Brazil, and give most countries first XI a good run as they are that deep. That doesn't excuse way the team set up, the lack of urgency/fight bar select periods, or the total lack of link between midfield and attack. Cleverly is simply not good enough to play for England, and what Smalling was doing/marking during all 3 crosses leading up to conceding I'll never know. :smh:

Yes two losses at home, things didnt look good, but again I'll just look at it as Roy still trying out some stuff. I'll take two losses in some friendlies against good competition if it means he's got a better idea of how to get the most out of his squad (and how to pick the best team and not the best XI players) over rolling over some weaker opposition while we play our first XI just to get the win. Also for a bit of context on what England can do, just a reminder, earlier this year England's first XI held Brazil to a draw in the Maracanã and before that they beat them at Wembley. If we dont get put into a incredibly tough group, our first choice players get/stay fit, and players like Carroll, Wellbeck, Cleverly and Milner aren't getting game time..hell even on the plane to Rio, who knows what could happen at the WC (again in terms of getting out of the group stages :lol:)

/Long post about England's NT that nobody really cares about. :lol:

England certainly has a talented crop coming up, but 2016 may be too soon for them. Luke Shaw, for example, seems to have a big future given his talent, but he's only 18. Then there's Ox, Barkley, Powell, Sterling, Ward-Prowse, Caulker, Morrision, etc. They may not all pan out and continue to develop, but all good prospects nonetheless. And you'll have Wilshere, Jones, Sturridge, etc. as holdovers.
Too early to call, but looking ahead to Russia that's a talented group. I just don't think Hodgson is the progressive manager England needs to take them forward.

Re. their chances in Brazil, I imagine they'll make it out of their group, but not much further. If nothing else, Hodgson's sides are tough to break down with their two banks of four. If they're in form and organized, it'll take a talented attack to beat them.

I agree with him tho, I think the comparisons have fueled both of them. Especially Ronaldo. I never thought he would have been scoring 40 plus goals a season before he went to Madrid, he barely scored 20 goals in his last season in Man U. I'm still amazed that a winger is able to produce like this. We've never seen anything like it.

Wonder if these Barca rumors about targeting a top CF is going to force Messi to go back into the RW position. Tata seems like he's traditional and wants an old-fashioned CF. That's if these rumors are true.

CR played a lot up front in that last MU season, so not sure anyone could have accurately predicted anything from that. IIRC, Rooney was on the left and Tevez on the right, though Park played on the right in the CL final. And again, he's not really a 'winger,' more a wide forward. Messi played a more withdrawn version of the same role on the right around '08-'10. A historical analogue in terms of CR's positioning and goal scoring would be a legendary player like Puskas - which serves to illustrate his greatness.

In general, Tata wants a CF so Messi can alternatively play as a number ten - like he does for Argentina. A striker in front of him would create space in between the lines since he'll be able to drag away central defenders. Anyway, Alexis supports his FB better than Messi would and is in fantastic form, so there's no reason for them to plan on sending him to the bench. Personally, I hope they pursue Costa, but Barca's upper management is daft so they'll go after a 'big name' like Aguero.

I don't get the hype behind Ronaldo getting Portugal to classify for the world cup; if that is going to be the decisive factor for him winning the award then Messi should get credit for helping Argentina to be one of the first teams to qualify for the World cup. One could argue that Messi is the driving force behind Argentina's success throughout the qualify phase; he had solid performances throughout the qualifies by assisting/scoring.

In the end, Ballon D'or has no clear definition on how it is awarded and each player can come up with a solid case on why they should win the award. We will just have to wait and see...:nerd:

The criteria has always been vague. I think it should include a variety of factors, but level of play should come first.. One can't deny that CR had a tremendous year - he deserves to win the Golden Ball. But I agree, Messi doesn't get credit for his incredible Argentina play ever since they hired a competent manager. He was certainly the best player in all of qualifying as he created countless chances, and when not doing that he was pushing forward and scoring goals. Maybe it's because most don't watch SAQualifying - though it's almost always the toughest qualifying competition since it's round robin. He had a good year regardless, but if not for injury trouble I think he would comfortably win. Amusing how so many who didn't want Messi to win last year - despite his otherworldly performances/statistics with a trophy, want Cristiano to win this year - despite less goals and no trophies.

That said, I think there are a few deserving candidates. I'd have liked to see Lahm recognized, but CR merits it, and him not winning it would lead to a maelstrom of whining - so anything to avoid that. FIFA moving the voting day should at least stop the anti-CR conspiracy talk. Them doing so actually implies the opposite.

Cr7 scored 42 goals in 2007-08 season for united. Where he played on the wing. Having this many goals really doesn't surprise me all that much... Still very impressive :pimp:

I always thought CR7 was capable of this level of play. The question was if he had the work ethic to achieve Super Saiyan status (which he did). The question is whether or not he's Vegeta or Goku... :rolleyes :lol: Most youngsters with the type of talent Ronnie has fall in love with the lifestyle of being a pro footballer rather than working hard to be a great footballer. This is a big problem with American & British atheletes...

Looks like Tata has called up strikers Adama Traore and Jean Marie Dongou from the B squad for Saturday's game against Granada. It will be interesting to see what side he puts on the pitch.

For defense, Valdez is lost for the rest of the year. Pique & Alves are out. Xavi is out so hopefully Sergi will get some playing time. Hope he's paired with Iniesta. If Cesc doesn't start in midfield, perhaps Tata will start him as the False 9 with Neymar on the left & Alexis on the right...

Can't wait to see...

Back
Top Bottom