Things to do in Hawaii

Going to be in Honolulu for two weeks for work. Wont have much time during the week for anything to crazy except for dining. What are some good places to eat, and shop?

you staying in waikiki? also are you going to have a car?

what types of food you looking to eat?

I was just going to make a thread on this, but now I can't because you made one op.

My question is different of course, but still :frown:

678 korean bbq is amazing. If u have time go to north shore and diamond head is a short hike with an amazing view

thanks for the replies so far,

- yes i will be staying in waikiki
- i'm usually a fan of any type food except for seafood (i like shrimp tho)

Last edited:
thanks for the replies so far,

- yes i will be staying in waikiki
- i'm usually a fan of any type food except for seafood (i like shrimp tho)

Hit up north shore for the shrimp trucks. I prefer Mackys but Giovannis isnt bad either.

Definitely go to a shrimp truck, bug fan of Giovannis in North shore. Rainbow drive in is real good. Also one block up from main Waikiki street there is this good korean hole in wall takeout, forgot the name.There's also a good musubi spot around there, name escapes me.

Man, I miss Muai. 

I miss how I was able to walk into Foodland buy a pound of different types of Poke and rice. I was set on meals.

Also, just having the opportunity to sit and lay on the beach.

Man, I miss Muai. 

I miss how I was able to walk into Foodland buy a pound of different types of Poke and rice. I was set on meals.

Also, just having the opportunity to sit and lay on the beach.

Foodland is the truth :smokin Signing up for their VIP was a no-brainer

Went to Hawaii for our honeymoon, we stocked up before we hit the road to Hana (stuff to make sandwiches, snacks, etc)

Last edited:
^Yes, it is. 

My wife and I saved so much money buy not having to eat at fancy restaurants for lunch or dinner.

I think we only spent money on dinner at the Luau and at a restaurant called Star Noodle.

Hopefully we could go back in the near future.

I'll try to list a few places for each

Local food:

Liliha Bakery(Liliha location not the one on Nimitz Hwy)

Rainbow's Drive Inn

Waikiki: Lot's of places to eat depending what you're looking for

Restaurant Suntory(teppanyaki and whiskey)

Arancino(Italian, uni pasta, squid ink pasta, squid w/ mentaiko pasta)

DK Steakhouse

Lot's of bars(Buho is a chill rooftop bar. Rumfire, Dukes, Moana Surf Bar if you're trying to be near the beach. Kelly O'Neil's if youre looking for a no frills place to drink, one of the only spots you can also 
smokin.gif

Cheesecake Factory 
nerd.gif

Hawaiian food:

Highway Inn(I like the Waipahu location but there's one in town)

Halena's(more popular with tourist)

Korean:

Kyung's Seafood(good if you want to add poke to your korean plate, also good place to drink at night with a larger party)

Korea House(yakuniku, adult entertainment next door
nerd.gif
)

Millions(good if you're eating by yourself, also has yakuniku)

678(yakuniku)

Filipino food:

Julie'z

Thelma's

Elena's

Jollibee (
laugh.gif
)

Vietnamese food:

Pho Huong Lan(best pho)

Hale Vietnam(good pho)

Pho One(ok pho, best rice plate)

The Pig & The Lady(ok pho, Laotion fried chicken is 
smokin.gif
)

Chinese Food:

Lam's Kitchen(order the beef and tendon soup, either with look fun or mein. I like mein noodles better)

Little Village Noodle House(volcano pork chops, mother of all fried rice)

Lot's of other places but not really for just 1 person

Japanese/Ramen:

I-Naba(best soba and tempura, ok sushi)

Izakaya Torae Torae(my favorite sushi bar)

Menya Musahi Ramen

Yotekko-Ya Ramen

AGU Ramen

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka

Lucky Belly Ramen(good if you're going to stay for drinks)

North Shore:

Shrimps Trucks(I like Macky's for the lemon pepper, Giovanni's for the garlic w' spicy sauce on the side.)

Storto's(grab yourself a sandwich, do half only tho. full is like 14"s and 1/2 a lb

Go swimming at Waimea Bay unless there's waves, it's summer so it should be flat.

Shave Ice:

Shimazu(best on the island, don't believe anyone that tells you different)

Monsarrat Ave Shave Ice(not as traditional, fresh fruit  syrups and japanese style toppings. in the little crack next to Pioneer Saloon)

Frost City(taiwanese shave ice)

Poke:

Literally everywhere

Fried Chicken:

Vons Korean Fried Chicken(get the crispy fried shoyu, god level stuff)

I recommend doing most things in the morning/early after noon like 8am-3pm if youre trying to avoid traffic. don't try to go to the westside after 3, well dont go there at all. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Waikiki is where your going to do all your shopping...

check out:
"Ala Moana Center" high-end boutique style mall right off the beach
"Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center" A1 shopping on the waikiki strip
"Waikiki Shopping PLaza" bunch of other design stores like A|X, H&M, Apple...etc.

Tommy Bahama has a flagship store in Waikiki that has a rooftop dining/lounge area...very nice....uppity beverly hills type ****, if thats what your into
View media item 2061139View media item 2061140

I miss the demographics of Honolulu. Reminds of the Bay Area pre-Midwest/East Coast hipster invasion :smh: :lol: I'd love to live there permanently if it wasn't so isolated. I visit people throughout the West Coast frequently and like being able to get away to other cities/areas via 1-2 hour flights.

On the other hand, I also travel to Asia 3-4 times a year, so it would be more convenient to live in Hawaii.

Last edited:
isolation is not that bad imo. the cost of living is the tough part. it's why so many people move out of state.
i could never move though.
Wow, is that Hawaii as a whole? Guess I'll never have a chance to live on Maui. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom