Things to do in Hawaii

We love hiking. So which island would be a must visit?
i would say head to the big island. you guys could hike to the lava flow and see molten lava. would be a great opportunity. big island has tons of different types of hikes.

Fishing options?
what type of fishing? charter boat deep sea? shore fishing? fly fishing? i do the most shore fishing between july and september.
big island has some of the best billfish charters in the world but charter boats are expensive.

i would say head to the big island. you guys could hike to the lava flow and see molten lava. would be a great opportunity. big island has tons of different types of hikes.
what type of fishing? charter boat deep sea? shore fishing? fly fishing? i do the most shore fishing between july and september.
big island has some of the best billfish charters in the world but charter boats are expensive.

I was thinking charter but that maybe more expensive. I see pictures of kauai and it looks down right amazing. But big island is where it's at?

Anyone ever hike haiku stairs?

Last edited:
Hate to thread bump. But I am trying to finalize my trip in September and is still torn between Big Island or Kauai.

Also for Oahu, what are must things to do, hike, see, etc. Best beaches?

I'll be in oahu too in September.

If you want to hike haiku stairs, get there early, like 3am early. It's trespassing and usually a security guard there. But if you start it without getting caught they can't say anything.

I just came back from Kauai last week and loved it! Been to Oahu three times before but Kauai is better. Just raw nature and beauty and feels like you're in Jurassic Park.

Great hikes to different waterfalls. Did part of the Kalalau Trail too...amazing views.

I'm heading to Oahu in March for a few days. I will be with a bunch of GFs but I really wanted some insight as to which spots are legit for surfing in Oahu. I miss the waves and just want to see if I still have it in me. North Shore? I won't have a car but I can find a way to get around if I need to. Thanks!

well the winter swells might still be rolling in so maybe you want to avoid the most popular spots on the north shore if the conditions are good. instead of pipeline, log cabins, sunset etc. maybe hit some of the less territorial spots like alii beach park or one of the many breaks from wailua to mokuleia like silver channels. as always, be careful of what you leave in the car or on the beach.

well the winter swells might still be rolling in so maybe you want to avoid the most popular spots on the north shore if the conditions are good. instead of pipeline, log cabins, sunset etc. maybe hit some of the less territorial spots like alii beach park or one of the many breaks from wailua to mokuleia like silver channels. as always, be careful of what you leave in the car or on the beach.

I don't bring anything with me that I cannot carry on my body. I have a waterproof pack so I don't leave anything of value on the beach. I spent some time surfing in Southern CA enough to know that what you leave on the beach won't be there when you get back. :frown:

I'll check how the swells are and determine from there. I've been at a break near Wailua before and it was decent. I'll have to see Alii Beach. Thanks!

I just came back from Kauai last week and loved it! Been to Oahu three times before but Kauai is better. Just raw nature and beauty and feels like you're in Jurassic Park.

Great hikes to different waterfalls. Did part of the Kalalau Trail too...amazing views.

Nice, been to kauai a few times. Got some friends there, just got back a few weeks ago.

Did you hike to the beach? I’ve never done the whole thing either. Did you check out the canyon?

I'll check how the swells are and determine from there. I've been at a break near Wailua before and it was decent. I'll have to see Alii Beach. Thanks!
if it’s better on the south shore, you can avoid the crowds at ala moana and waikiki and check out some of the lesser known breaks like toes reef in niu valley or there are some good spots on sand island near my job.

Oh that's also a good idea: be able to hike around. Any good trails that can allow all abilities to enjoy?

Oh that's also a good idea: be able to hike around. Any good trails that can allow all abilities to enjoy?
the easiest is probably makapuu lighthouse. it's paved the whole way and is more like a nice uphill walk with great views. another easy one is manoa falls. i think it's about 1.5 mile to hike in and out. in march it will probably be pretty muddy and you'll need mosquito repellent for sure. i see small kids on those hikes all the time so that's how easy they are.

some nicer ones that are a little more difficult are the aiea loop trail, waahila ridge trail, and the puu ohia trail.

it's been raining pretty good, I wouldn't go hiking

nvm, seen she said March

Back
Top Bottom