Thread about Jesus - Questions, Bible Verses and Prayer Requests

in regards to heavens location:

Luke 17:21.
[h2]Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.[/h2]
Can you elaborate on that? Personally I've always took it literally.

and then this is just the egyptian vs christian perspective
[h3]Egyptian - (Began 4,000 BCE)[/h3]
  • The Mysteries
  • The Sem, or mythical representations
  • The Ritual as the book.of resurrection
  • The sayings of Iu or Iu-em-hetep
  • Huhi the father in heaven as the eternal, a title of Atum-Ra
  • Ra, the holy spirit
  • Ra the father of Iu the Su, or son of God, with the hawk or dove as the bird of the holy spirit
  • Iu or Horus, the manifesting son of God
  • The trinity of Atum (or Osiris) the father, Horus (or Iu) the son, and Ra the holy spirit
  • Iu-Su or Iusa, the coming son of Iusaas, who was great with Iusa or Iusu
  • The ever-coming Messu or Child as Egyptian
  • Horus (or Heru), the Lord by name, as a child
  • Isis, the virgin mother of Iu, her Su or son
  • The .rst Horus as Child of the Virgin, the second as son of Ra, the father
  • The first Horus as the founder, the second as fulfiller for the father
  • The two mothers of Child-Horus, Isis and Nephthys, who were two sisters
  • Meri or Nut, the mother-heaven The outcast great mother with her seven sons
  • Isis taken by Horus in adultery with Sut
  • Apt, the crib or manger, by name as the birthplace and mother in one
  • Seb, the earth-father, as consort to the virgin Isis
  • Seb, the foster-father to Child-Horus
  • Seb, Isis and Horus, the Kamite holy trinity

[h3]Christian - (Began 200 BCE)[/h3]
  • The miracles.
  • The parables.
  • The Book of Revelation.
  • The sayings of Jesus.
  • Ihuh, the father in heaven as the eternal.
  • God the Holy Ghost.
  • God, the Father of Jesus, with the dove as the bird of the Holy Spirit.
  • Jesus the manifesting Son of God.
  • The Trinity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
  • Jesus.
  • The Hebrew Messianic Child.
  • Child-Jesus as the Lord by name (Gospels of the Infancy).
  • Mary the virgin mother of Jesus.
  • Jesus as the Virgin's child, the Christ as son of the father.
  • Jesus as the founder, and the Christ as fulfiller for the father.
  • The two mothers of Child-Jesus, who , were sisters.
  • Mary, as Regina Cceli.
  • Mary Magdalene, with her seven devils.
  • The woman taken in adultery.
  • The manger as cradle of the Child Christ.
  • Joseph, the father on earth, as putative husband to the Virgin Mary.
  • Joseph, as foster-father to the Child
  • Jesus.
  • Joseph, Mary and Jesus, a Christian holy trinity.

[h3]Egyptian - (Began 4,000 BCE)[/h3]
  • Seb, the builder of the house, the carpenter
  • Seb, the custodian of the mummied dead
  • Sut and Horus, the twin opponents
  • Horus, the sower, and Sut, the destroyer, in the harvest-field
  • Sut and Horus contending in the desert
  • Sut and Horus contending on the Ben Ben or pyramidion
  • Horus carried off by Sut to the summit of Mount Hetep
  • Sut and Horus contending on the mount
  • Sut undoing the good that Horus does
  • S'men, for Khemen, a title of Taht
  • S'men, who held Child-Horus in his arms as the young solar god
  • Anna or Annit (a title of Hathor), with Taht-S'men
  • The Petar or Petra by name in Egyptian as revealer to Horus
  • The house in Annu
  • The group in the house at Annu
  • Horus in Annu
  • Asar or Osiris
  • The two sisters Mertae
  • Osiris, whom Horus loved
  • Osiris perfumed for his burial
  • Osiris prays that he may be buried speedily
  • Osiris prepared for burial under the hair of Hathor-Meri
  • Osiris, who slept in the tomb at Annu
  • Osiris raised from the tomb by Horus in Annu
  • The mummy Osiris bidden to come forth by Horus
  • The Great One who does the work of washing
  • The star, as announcer for the Child Horus
  • The seven Hathors (or cows) who minister to Horus
  • Anup, the Precursor of Horus
  • Anup, the Baptizer
  • Aan, the saluter of Horus
  • Aan, a name of the divine scribe
  • Hermes, the scribe
  • Mati, the registrar
  • Taht, Shu, and black Sut
  • Nut at the pool of the Persea, or sycamore-tree, as giver of divine drink
  • Horus born in Annu, the place of bread
  • The vesture put on Horus by the Goddess Tait

[h3]Christian - (Began 200 BCE)[/h3]
  • Joseph, the carpenter.
  • Joseph of Arimathea, the keeper of the Corpus Christi.
  • Satan and Jesus, the twin opponents.
  • Jesus, the sower of the good seed, and Satan, the sower of tares.
  • Satan and Jesus contending in the wilderness.
  • Satan and Jesus contending on the pinnacle.
  • Jesus spirited away by Satan into an exceeding high mountain.
  • Satan and Jesus contending on the mount.
  • Satan sowing tares by night.
  • Simeon.
  • Simeon, who took the Child-Jesus in his arms.
  • Anna, the prophetess, with Simeon.
  • Peter, the revealer to the Christ.
  • Bethany.
  • The group in the house at Bethany.
  • Jesus in Bethany.
  • Lazarus.
  • The two sisters Mary and Martha.
  • Lazarus, whom Jesus loved.
  • Jesus anointed, when the odour fills the house.
  • Jesus begs that his death may be effected quickly.
  • Jesus prepared for his burial beneath the hair of Mary.
  • Lazarus, who slept in the tomb at Bethany.
  • Lazarus raised from the tomb by Jesus in Bethany.
  • The mummy Lazarus bidden to come forth by Jesus.
  • Jesus washing the feet of his disciples.
  • The Star in the East that indicated the birthplace of Jesus.
  • The seven women who minister to Jesus.
  • John, the forerunner of Jesus the Christ.
  • John the Baptist.
  • John, the saluter of the Christ.
  • John, the divine scribe.
  • Hermas, the scribe.
  • Matthew, the clerk.
  • The three kings, or Magi.
  • The woman at the well as giver of the water.
  • Jesus born in Bethlehem, the house of bread.
  • The swaddling clothes put on the infant Jesus.
  •  

•  
[h1]Luke 17:21King James Version (KJV)[/h1]
21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

So its cool to call others dumb in every thread other than this one?

I think that the stakes are different, if you call someone dumb for being a Lakers fan it is entirely different from calling them dumb because of their spiritual beliefs.

[quote name="WhatCanISay"]That's really awesome that you did that, and I apologize for my previous statement of you trying to insult other NTers' beliefs.

That is obviously not the case, and I respect that you don't tolerate disrespect whatsoever. Again, my apologies.
:smokin[/quote]Repped.

I'm telling you, bro, I'm not that guy.[quote name="bilboshmangins"][quote name="bravo"]So its cool to call others dumb in every thread other than this one?[/quote]I think that the stakes are different, if you call someone dumb for being a Lakers fan it is entirely different from calling them dumb because of their spiritual beliefs.[/quote]Exactly.

Calling someone an idiot for buying into the hype of a limited release is not the same as calling someone an idiot for their religious beliefs (or lack of religious beliefs).

Author/Pastor John Ortberg does a sermon on Jesus called, "Who is this Man?" about the historical significance of Jesus.

Rather you believe he is the savior or not, you can't deny his historical significance.  This is worth the watch regardless of where you stand on the topic.

Just a couple spark notes-

We base our years on Christ's life (BC and AD or anno domini which is latin for the year of our lord.

Hospitals and schools were started based on the teachings and life of Jesus.

Social equality for children and women were made prominent by Jesus and where Christianity has spread their social status has been elevated.

Foundations such as the Red Cross and Salvation Army were founded based on Jesus.

The bible is the most read and most translated book in history.

sj45 sj45

To put things in perspective that's not really that big of a deal. The earth is billions of years old. 2 thousand years ( in reality more like 800 years) is how long the lie has been maintained. In the span of history that's mere seconds. Relatively speaking I've seen more complex lies carried on longer then that.

Author/Pastor John Ortberg does a sermon on Jesus called, "Who is this Man?" about the historical significance of Jesus.

Rather you believe he is the savior or not, you can't deny his historical significance.  This is worth the watch regardless of where you stand on the topic.

Just a couple spark notes-

We base our years on Christ's life (BC and AD or anno domini which is latin for the year of our lord.

Hospitals and schools were started based on the teachings and life of Jesus.

Social equality for children and women were made prominent by Jesus and where Christianity has spread their social status has been elevated.

Foundations such as the Red Cross and Salvation Army were founded based on Jesus.

The bible is the most read and most translated book in history.

I'm gonna tackle each spark note one-by-one:

1.) Who cares?

2.) Do you really think we wouldn't have institutions such as healthcare and education if it wasn't for Jesus? (that's assuming there's truth to that statement)

3.) Do you really think we wouldn't have eventually moved towards social equality for these groups if it wasn't for Jesus?

4.) Again...do you really think charity and social responsibility are exclusively Christian values?  I'm an Atheist and I donate a few hundred dollars a year to various charities and research foundations.  I've also done a lot of volunteer work.  Do you attribute my benevolence to Christianity?

5.) Who cares?

Last year, I took a Bible as Literature class where we studied the four gospels from a literary stand point and read it as a story rather than a theological analysis stand point. I loved this class because we went over the Canonical gospels and saw how beautifully it was written. It was nice because religion wasn't being forced upon me, rather I was appreciating scripture. My professor is a poet, so this contributed to me enjoying the class and seeing it from a different perspective. In the same semester, I took a Catholicism World History class. Being Christian, I really was inspired and my faith was as strong as it had ever been in my life. I couldn't wait for church every Sunday and I enjoyed hearing my pastor's sermons. The following semester I took a Historical Jesus online class where we analyzed who was Jesus historically. I really don't feel like getting into everything I learned, but in a nutshell, we looked through ancient documents/texts such as the gnostic gospels and the dead sea scrolls, compared the old testament with the new, read a few scholarly written books on who Jesus was, and compared similar ancient religions to Christianity and stories of figures similar to Jesus. This class really challenged my faith and made me realize that it is difficult in reconstructing the historical Jesus when it cannot be easily separated from the moral imperatives for which Jesus has become the symbol in Western Culture. I'm still Christian today, but my view on my religion has changed... i've seen how much the bible has been edited by early christian followers and how it's not as credible as I thought despite how long it has survived. I don't agree or believe everything the bible says even if i'm supposed to believe that scripture is the truth. And to be honest, I truly do believe Jesus's life was significantly magnified, but it's what has happened in my life: all the small miracles and blessings, that keep me a Christian.

My advice to people out there is to keep an open mind. Jesus was a real person and he was crucified, regardless if he was divine or not. He was one hell of a philosopher too and great things happened because of him.

It's certainly a valid point.  When you go even deeper though, what are the odds that said planets that can sustain life are in the position they're in to do so?  Scientifically speaking, if Earth for instance, were a little closer or further from the sun it may not be able to sustain life.  So I'm curious as to the probability that of all of the planets in the infinite universe, how did Earth end up at just the right distance from the sun to be able to orbit it and hold a position that allows life to flourish.  I'm not arguing for or against a grand design, I'm just saying the odds are truly awe inspiring that we're sitting here able to have this conversation.  Makes me appreciate life.
The distance from earth to the sun actually changes due to the elliptical orbit of earth.

Over billions of years, there have been trillions of planets. It doesn't seem unlikely that at least one planet has developed life. In fact, it's likely that life exists elsewhere in the universe. We can't just assume that earth is the only habitable planet for life.

Last year, I took a Bible as Literature class where we studied the four gospels from a literary stand point and read it as a story rather than a theological analysis stand point. I loved this class because we went over the Canonical gospels and saw how beautifully it was written. It was nice because religion wasn't being forced upon me, rather I was appreciating scripture. My professor is a poet, so this contributed to me enjoying the class and seeing it from a different perspective. In the same semester, I took a Catholicism World History class. Being Christian, I really was inspired and my faith was as strong as it had ever been in my life. I couldn't wait for church every Sunday and I enjoyed hearing my pastor's sermons. The following semester I took a Historical Jesus online class where we analyzed who was Jesus historically. I really don't feel like getting into everything I learned, but in a nutshell, we looked through ancient documents/texts such as the gnostic gospels and the dead sea scrolls, compared the old testament with the new, read a few scholarly written books on who Jesus was, and compared similar ancient religions to Christianity and stories of figures similar to Jesus. This class really challenged my faith and made me realize that it is difficult in reconstructing the historical Jesus when it cannot be easily separated from the moral imperatives for which Jesus has become the symbol in Western Culture. I'm still Christian today, but my view on my religion has changed... i've seen how much the bible has been edited by early christian followers and how it's not as credible as I thought despite how long it has survived. I don't agree or believe everything the bible says even if i'm supposed to believe that scripture is the truth. And to be honest, I truly do believe Jesus's life was significantly magnified, but it's what has happened in my life: all the small miracles and blessings, that keep me a Christian.

My advice to people out there is to keep an open mind. Jesus was a real person and he was crucified, regardless if he was divine or not. He was one hell of a philosopher too and great things happened because of him.

I can respect this. Even though I am a man of different faith, you went about it a very nice way. You sought out knowledge possibly with some of a bias but that would be virtually impossible. I would agree, jesus (peace be upon him) did miraculous things and accomplished a substantial amount in his lifetime.

1.) Who cares?

2.) Do you really think we wouldn't have institutions such as healthcare and education if it wasn't for Jesus? (that's assuming there's truth to that statement)

3.) Do you really think we wouldn't have eventually moved towards social equality for these groups if it wasn't for Jesus?

4.) Again...do you really think charity and social responsibility are exclusively Christian values?  I'm an Atheist and I donate a few hundred dollars a year to various charities and research foundations.  I've also done a lot of volunteer work.  Do you attribute my benevolence to Christianity?

5.) Who cares?
You're getting way too caught in the feels man.  I'm just stating the historical significance is important.  Why is it that Napoleon, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Hitler, or other people who set out to conquer the world by force didn't have this kind of impact.  Yet 2,000 years later we talk about a carpenter from Nazareth who spread love and cared about people.

1) Idk man, maybe because it is the very reason we are in "2014" and not some arbitrary number.

2) I'm not saying that, but I'm saying that is what started the notion of public healthcare.  Surely there were other forms of care prior to Jesus, but why is it that hospitals are named St. "insert name", or Good Samaritan, etc.

3) Once again, I'm not saying that, however look at middle eastern women.  They're forced to cover their faces/bodies.  In some cultures, children are killed because they are the wrong gender or they're deformed in some manner.  Do you see this in Christian culture? (mind you there are always outliers, I'm speaking in a predominant manner)

4)  For the third time I'm not saying that or saying you can't be generous if you aren't a Christian.  Pat on the back for your morals and good works.  I'm stating that some of the greatest social organizations we have today that positively impact life were formed around his foundation.

5)  Because literacy is a big deal.  Why hasn't The Odyssey or To Kill a Mockingbird made such an impact?  Why aren't they available in hundreds of languages?

The distance from earth to the sun actually changes due to the elliptical orbit of earth.

Over billions of years, there have been trillions of planets. It doesn't seem unlikely that at least one planet has developed life. In fact, it's likely that life exists elsewhere in the universe. We can't just assume that earth is the only habitable planet for life.
Right, I don't disagree one bit.  But we were speaking to odds of human life and such.  So I was elaborating on the fact that when you line up everything from the universe, the odds that you are sitting at your computer/phone surfing Niketalk are astounding.  With how vast the universe is and how insignificant we are the fact that we exist right where we are shouldn't happen, yet we're able to sit here and discuss life.  It's awesome

@SJ45

To put things in perspective that's not really that big of a deal. The earth is billions of years old. 2 thousand years ( in reality more like 800 years) is how long the lie has been maintained. In the span of history that's mere seconds. Relatively speaking I've seen more complex lies carried on longer then that.
While you're correct that in the span of things it's a small blip, I'll refer to my other post.  Why is that that other "leaders" and important figures throughout history don't have the same historical significance?  Why don't label our years around Napoleon's life, or Caesar's life?  What makes Jesus so special?

1.) Who cares?
5.) Who cares?

:lol:
Good job "tackling". Especially #1 and #5. You brougt a lot of knowledge on that post there

You're getting way too caught in the feels man.  I'm just stating the historical significance is important.  Why is it that Napoleon, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Hitler, or other people who set out to conquer the world by force didn't have this kind of impact.  Yet 2,000 years later we talk about a carpenter from Nazareth who spread love and cared about people.

1) Idk man, maybe because it is the very reason we are in "2014" and not some arbitrary number.

2) I'm not saying that, but I'm saying that is what started the notion of public healthcare.  Surely there were other forms of care prior to Jesus, but why is it that hospitals are named St. "insert name", or Good Samaritan, etc.

3) Once again, I'm not saying that, however look at middle eastern women.  They're forced to cover their faces/bodies.  In some cultures, children are killed because they are the wrong gender or they're deformed in some manner.  Do you see this in Christian culture? (mind you there are always outliers, I'm speaking in a predominant manner)

4)  For the third time I'm not saying that or saying you can't be generous if you aren't a Christian.  Pat on the back for your morals and good works.  I'm stating that some of the greatest social organizations we have today that positively impact life were formed around his foundation.

5)  Because literacy is a big deal.  Why hasn't The Odyssey or To Kill a Mockingbird made such an impact?  Why aren't they available in hundreds of languages?
1) It actually is some arbitrary number. We really don't know what year it is. Because the persistent effort to authenticate these lies, many intellectual people have been murdered and had their history burned leaving us in limbo as to what year it really is.

2) The reason most hospitals are named St. _____ because the saints of this time were Moors from ancient Egypt who instructed the Europeans during the dark age in advanced medicines and sciences. 

3) Yes. Maybe not as overt, but surely telling someone they're going to HELL because they don't accept your savior is equally as damaging and has no gender bias.

4) Come out of your chrisitan umbrella, if you wanna claim that responsibility then also be accountable for being one of the most corrupt and violent organizations in the world.

5) If literacy is a big deal, how come you have yet to realize that Christianity pulled off the biggest literary theft job of all time?

So..You're getting way too caught in the feels man.  I'm just stating the historical significance is important yet christians pick and choose to evaluate it when it's convenient for them.  Why is it that Napoleon, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Hitler, or other people who set out to conquer the world by force still have some definitive evidence of their historical existence?  Yet 2,000 years later we talk about a man who was created from an abyss of ignorance to wage psychological warfare on the lower class with no physical proof that he or anyone he chilled with existed.

1) It actually is some arbitrary number. We really don't know what year it is. Because the persistent effort to authenticate these lies, many intellectual people have been murdered and had their history burned leaving us in limbo as to what year it really is.

2) The reason most hospitals are named St. _____ because the saints of this time were Moors from ancient Egypt who instructed the Europeans during the dark age in advanced medicines and sciences. 

3) Yes. Maybe not as overt, but surely telling someone they're going to HELL because they don't accept your savior is equally as damaging and has no gender bias.

4) Come out of your chrisitan umbrella, if you wanna claim that responsibility then also be accountable for being one of the most corrupt and violent organizations in the world.

5) If literacy is a big deal, how come you have yet to realize that Christianity pulled off the biggest literary theft job of all time?

So..You're getting way too caught in the feels man.  I'm just stating the historical significance is important yet christians pick and choose to evaluate it when it's convenient for them.  Why is it that Napoleon, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Hitler, or other people who set out to conquer the world by force still have some definitive evidence of their historical existence?  Yet 2,000 years later we talk about a man who was created from an abyss of ignorance to wage psychological warfare on the lower class with no physical proof that he or anyone he chilled with existed.
So jesus created ignorance and warfare on the lower class ? :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Thanks for the laughs.
But on a serious note, this thread is for questions regarding Jesus. Not for bashing/insulting of him.
If you want to do that, go and make your own Jesus hating thread. This isnt the place for it.

John 14:10-11 "Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he does the works.11) Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works sake.

Back
Top Bottom