Tidal Streaming!!

In general, I don't understand how or why Streaming is so big.

I mean, I get it, but I really don't comprehend why it's such a big business, and why it's projected to be an even bigger business moving forward.

Piracy is so huge man. From ripping songs off of soundcloud or youtube by simply copying and pasting their URL's, to a simple twitter search, or a simple sharebeast / zippyshare search on twitter, Piracy is huge, and not only huge it's easy as hell. It literally takes all of one minute to search for a link to Wale's new album on twitter right now and download it to my iTunes.

I'm a guy that still buys CD's, simply because I like collecting them. But with piracy so easy these days, I don't understand how or why people are willingly paying 10 dollars a month. Is the average fan that far behind the wave as far as illegally downloading songs and albums?

Also, I can't wrap my mind around Tidal selling itself as being this service that provides elite level quality music. Simply because, they couldn't believe that people would actually care enough about that to pay right? It looks like their plan is to court as many celebs as they can and hope that those celebs bring over with them their fans.

But like I said, I've never understood the streaming wave fully. I understand the purpose it serves, but I don't understand why has it been so successful.

I faithfully bough albums up until almost a year ago. I don't drive like that anymore so I don't really have a use for physical cds even though I prefer them. I don't really like buying from itunes. I can pay 10 for one album online or in stores or I can pay 10 for spotify and get the newest album from whatever artist I like plus a bunch of albums i used to have or some random song that may pop up in my mind i want to hear. I can follow others playlists.

I don't have time to download whole albums or single songs to put in my itunes then add to my phone. Only songs on my phone are from artists not on Spotify.

I listen to all my music on standard apple earbuds or my ipod dock...quality isn't a big deal to me as long as i can hear all the words...all that FLCA or whatever i'm reading in here is foreign to me...

only way to get me to switch is if they offered concert tickets exclusive on there...if Bey and others pull out of Spotify i'd probably download their stuff out of spite

Beyonce is wack as **** anyways. You shouldn't be buying or streaming her ********.

$20/month for CD quality music? Laughable.

Miss me with all that more money in the artists pocket nonsense. Those cats are paid enough where the lost revenue from streaming from Spotify won't hurt them. And if you're REALLY that concerned with their pockets, support them by going to a show and buying some merch. I'd wager they profit more from tours/shows than by streaming revenue.

I'm all for cats making money and I've actually stopped bootlegging altogether over the years. But I'm also aware that this is their job and sometimes folks try to sell you on **** in the pursuit of their livelihood. I'm not buying the sob stories that these millionaires are selling. Sorry, I just can't.

Wonder whenever Jay sell off Tidal will he split his profits with the artist 
eyes.gif

I don't know if it's the pro black in me or what but it kinda rubs me the wrong way when I see our ppl come at Jay for his entrepreneurship.

Like JT or Ryan Seacrest is making a killing w multiple ventures, white guys don't knock them for their moves lol
This is a big part of it to me...why do we always try to tear other black folks down when they make moves?  Not all black folks, but so many of us are on the plantation mentally to where we point and laugh at each other for doing big things.  I don't see any other group doing that but us.

As a black dude and someone who made a post that is critical of the service I'm calling it like I see it. Jay is going to make a bunch of money off this investment and I applaud him. Its good to see another black man do his thing. Hell I wish I could get in on it :lol:

But as a consumer I'm not going to give away $20 a month to help Jay-Z if I don't support the product he's making. I wish him the best, but he nor any streaming service is going to get my money. I buy my music b/c its cheaper to do so. If I did pay for a streaming service I would probably get tidal b/c it seems comparable to spotify, beats, etc. even though Jay's promises seem hallow as hell. I think a lot of people, myself included, are pointing out that Jay owns a streaming service that's not really different than the others...or has yet to prove that its really different.

....And I've never heard a white dude give any props to Ryan Seacrest. I've only heard white folks say that he is a corny *** dude.

So in the matter of a month... Tidal is now valued at 5X the initial price, has secured a deal with Sprint and more than TRIPLED its subscribers since the conference.

Yet somehow people aren't seeing how "celebrity" can and will push this as one of the top streaming services?

All of this happened without Tidal even giving a hiccup of what exclusive content they will be providing. As of now the public knows this is a Streaming service owned by Jay-Z & other high powered Celebs..... and already it has garnered this much growth.

$20/month for CD quality music? Laughable.

Miss me with all that more money in the artists pocket nonsense. Those cats are paid enough where the lost revenue from streaming from Spotify won't hurt them. And if you're REALLY that concerned with their pockets, support them by going to a show and buying some merch. I'd wager they profit more from tours/shows than by streaming revenue.

I'm all for cats making money and I've actually stopped bootlegging altogether over the years. But I'm also aware that this is their job and sometimes folks try to sell you on **** in the pursuit of their livelihood. I'm not buying the sob stories that these millionaires are selling. Sorry, I just can't.
It's not just about the artists who make money on radio spins and touring off hit records not to mention merchandising, but also the songwriters. Songwriters are robbed blind by services such as spotify. Aloe Blacc was speaking on this issue a couple weeks ago and it was eye opening. Music is so important in everyone's lives yet still most people don't truly value/respect it the way we should

In general, I don't understand how or why Streaming is so big.

I mean, I get it, but I really don't comprehend why it's such a big business, and why it's projected to be an even bigger business moving forward.

Piracy is so huge man. From ripping songs off of soundcloud or youtube by simply copying and pasting their URL's, to a simple twitter search, or a simple sharebeast / zippyshare search on twitter, Piracy is huge, and not only huge it's easy as hell. It literally takes all of one minute to search for a link to Wale's new album on twitter right now and download it to my iTunes.

I'm a guy that still buys CD's, simply because I like collecting them. But with piracy so easy these days, I don't understand how or why people are willingly paying 10 dollars a month. Is the average fan that far behind the wave as far as illegally downloading songs and albums?

Also, I can't wrap my mind around Tidal selling itself as being this service that provides elite level quality music. Simply because, they couldn't believe that people would actually care enough about that to pay right? It looks like their plan is to court as many celebs as they can and hope that those celebs bring over with them their fans.

But like I said, I've never understood the streaming wave fully. I understand the purpose it serves, but I don't understand why has it been so successful.

Its pretty simple.

People don't want to keep, maintian librarys of music on their hard drives.

There is a convenience in streaming that people will pay for over discovering, pirating and organizing the music themselves.

Last edited:
Once again i dont think people are giving credit to just how much Celebrity can move people. In 2015 De La Soul raised 150'000 in 24 hours to record an album DIRECTLY from the consumer. When artist have huge fanbases getting them to spend money with you isn't an issue.

It's also been mentioned that they plan on this service providing more than simply Music & Videos... If that's the case think special concerts only on sale through Tidal, Exclusive concert performance tours, Fan Q&A, they have a section for editorials. This is something that can be transcendent to the current format due to the Arrtist direct investment in the product.

Reports are that all these artist were given shares ranging from 2-3% now that may seem small but not when it's 2-3 percent of an industry that's bringing in 20 Billion a year and will continue to rise drastically.

By Tidal giving artist equity in the company they have very little reason to work exclusively with any other services. Beyonce, Rihanna, Calvin Harris, Madonna, Kanye, Jay-Z, etc etc are some of the hugest names in music right now and they all have an equal purpose and focus on promoting and expanding Tidal.

Beats/Apple biggest promotion was celebrity/ mass promotion. Apple & Beats are two companies that rely heavily on the cool factor and focused heavily on the support of the younger demographic. Those Artist at Tidal are the ones who shape which brands are cool, which trends pickup and now you have them all collectively promoting a venture than can make them millions upon millions down the line.

But there are platforms out there already where artists can do this. For example, Trey Songz, makes BANK of his own personal website/forum. Simply by posting "personal" videos to his fans. He makes more off his website than he does his album sales.

companies take ls all the time 

give these people upfront money and sometimes dont even make half of it back 

They have to... There's no WAY I'd stream all that :x

Even tho I'm planning on jumping ship to tmobile unlimited anyways :lol:

Whether it is a good/bad idea, I don't really care, I buy CDs for less than $20, old school I guess, or I buy it from itunes, I just hate the Tidal commercials, these "artists" are acting like they're are doing us a favor or something.

Is it possible for streaming music to match the quality of cd's.  That's one of the main factors that has always kept me away from streaming services.  I guess I am old school and in a shrinking minority because I still buy cd's.  Plus, I tend to listen whole albums.  I don't jump back and forth between artists.  Never was a fan of the radio. 

Is it possible for streaming music to match the quality of cd's.  That's one of the main factors that has always kept me away from streaming services.  I guess I am old school and in a shrinking minority because I still buy cd's.  Plus, I tend to listen whole albums.  I don't jump back and forth between artists.  Never was a fan of the radio. 

Let me tell you Braj, you ARE NOT in the minority, at least not alone. I still buy CDs and I give no damns about what someone says about it. CDs are still top notch to me. I have nothing against streaming or iTunes or any of that, but I still love CDs. So if that makes you old school, then I am too because it would take a whole lot for me to switch to streaming, and at $20 a month for tidal for what may or may not be exclusive or whatever, I will pass for now. For $20 I can hit up Bestbuy/Target, FYE, or even Amazon for hard to find CDs.

Let me tell you Braj, you ARE NOT in the minority, at least not alone. I still buy CDs and I give no damns about what someone says about it. CDs are still top notch to me. I have nothing against streaming or iTunes or any of that, but I still love CDs. So if that makes you old school, then I am too because it would take a whole lot for me to switch to streaming, and at $20 a month for tidal for what may or may not be exclusive or whatever, I will pass for now. For $20 I can hit up Bestbuy/Target, FYE, or even Amazon for hard to find CDs.
I feel you on owning CDs.  Owning physical copies of music is like owning pieces of art.  IMO digital media will never be able to replicate physical media because there's something purer about holding the music in your hand vs having it on your computer.

Ohhhhkay?
laugh.gif
You right, that was rude and I apologize.  But my point was that I was momentarily rapping with someone who felt the same way I do about owning physical copies of music.  The second bit was an emotional response on my part.

Last edited:
Let go of my grandfathered ATT unlimited data and i'm glad.

Pros:
I don't get throttled anymore.
Lower monthly price

I was usually using 8-9 gigs a month. rarely i would get to 15. Didn't make sense to keep it.

Most people don't have the equipment to take advantage of flac. In fact, most people don't know what flac is. Streaming on your phone will destroy your data. This leaves your computer as the viable option. But very few (relatively) have studio monitors to even hear quality like flac. To anyone who doesn't know, studio monitors are high end speakers.

In short, tidal is stupid for the consumer. Unless you plan on upgrading your headphones, car audio system, and computer speakers... You're just putting 93 octane gas in your 1992 civic.

Back
Top Bottom