Tips on college

Take advantages of all the resources that are presented to you. You are paying for them. Use the gym, tutoring sessions, sporting events, and definitely use the career center (something I need to do more of this yr).

Go to class. You're effing paying for it.

Don't wife the 1st broad to let you hulk... enjoy college with a little drama as possible.

Be careful how you present yourself the first few weeks. Your fresh impression will follow you your first year and perhaps all four years. If you are viewed as a perv or creep the first week that's who you will be for the rest of your college career.

Rumors and gossip spread like a MF especially in the dorms and dining halls, do not do anything radical or will draw attention to you unless you like it.

You will meet a lot of fake people who aren't exactly who they portray themselves to be and sometimes it takes a long time to see their true colors. DO NOT give too much trust to anyone.

Lend out only money you are willing to give away, because most of that time that's what's going to happen.

Get a part time job on campus. Do not travel too far away to work, the commute feels twice as long.

Last edited:
Serious question: How do you meet new people without seeming creepy? 
frown.gif

Serious question: How do you meet new people without seeming creepy? :frown:

That question is too broad. Depends on the setting. If you just want to meet people in general, the most natural places would be dorms, dining hall, class, gym, etc. If you want to take it a step further meet co-workers at a job, join a club or organization, IM sports team, etc. As a freshman everyone is new so don't be shy and don't act too over the top either.

In a world where everything is "awkward" and "creepy" you know the chicks that be like"omg, some guy on the street looked me in my eyes and said hi, omg so awkward and creepy.."

You pose this question, so, are you a creepy person in the first place? Googly eyes, a slight stutter, lisp anything like that, do you creep up on people in the caf, library and not say anything? Does your presence make people visibly uncomfortable (watch for body language)

Moral is, just be you. Put your self in situations that make you most comfortable, your body language says a lot about you when you approach people you don't know. But, sooner then later you will have to branch from your comfort zone, it's best to be in control when it happens.

I was just going to start a thread similar to this one, because I'm looking for advice.

I'm about to start school and major in economics. I'm ok with studying, thus I've thought of applying to more intense courses, there's a whole school plan, which is more intense then the regular schedule. Alongside this I've also got a job, which can be handled part time, but the two may be unsustainable parallel to each other.

What do you guys think is better on a resume?

Having work experience (a lot of it), plus a few internships and making a little money while in school or participating in advanced economics classes?

no means no, unless shes drunk
not serious of course

I'm heading to community college for this the first year and i'm calculated to have over 3,000 in excess financial aid, anything i should look into purchasing or should i live it up?

I'm heading to community college for this the first year and i'm calculated to have over 3,000 in excess financial aid, anything i should look into purchasing or should i live it up?

Save save save. If you don't have a car get one it'll be the next important factor of your college career. Spend a few dollars on some things you want and
put that money up. You'll be happy you did when you graduate with no debt.

A lot of people are in the same boat as you are and want to meet new people. You have nothing to lose, really.

I'm noticing that a lot of people are saying school is everything - and that's absolutely true in a sense...it's why you're there - but I found that balancing school work with social activities made for a fulfilling overall college experience. Whether it's joining clubs, attending sporting events, playing sports, going to the gym between classes. Get the most out of the whole experience and put yourself out there. Building effective social communication skills is extremely useful in the work force.

jhawk826 pretty much has my standpoint when it comes to academic/social/dorm life

I was just going to start a thread similar to this one, because I'm looking for advice.
I'm about to start school and major in economics. I'm ok with studying, thus I've thought of applying to more intense courses, there's a whole school plan, which is more intense then the regular schedule. Alongside this I've also got a job, which can be handled part time, but the two may be unsustainable parallel to each other.
What do you guys think is better on a resume?
Having work experience (a lot of it), plus a few internships and making a little money while in school or participating in advanced economics classes?
Experience > What you have done in the classroom. There are people who have graduated who are wishing that they did more internships in college. Those are more important to an employer than grades because it shows you can hop into the job needing no training and be expected to perform.

Save your money. You're at CC, so there's not much to spend on. If you plan on heading to a four year school after, like CJ863 said, put that toward a car. That's something I wish I had in college, but being from NYC it wasn't necessary for the most part.

Don't procrastinate! I can't emphasis this enough. I'm not just talking about classwork either, but networking opportunities, social events, that girl in class you wanna talk to, going to the gym (that freshman 15 is real for some). Whatever you do though DON'T PROCRASTINATE

Don't bring your car unless you absolutely have to. It might get you more yambs, but it'll cost you soooo much

Apply for all the scholarships and grants you can possibly find.......and then apply to some more.

Never, buy your books from the bookstore. Cop the international edition online, or go to chegg.com

When picking a major, find a combination between something you enjoy and something that is highly employable and a decent salary.

Grades matter, but networking and people skills matter more (especially if you major in anything business related)

Don't become the college druggie/alchy and end up dropping out or getting locked up. I've seen it too many times :smh:

Don't rawdog these *garden tools* go down to the hospital/clinic at your school and grab all the free condoms you can.

Do internships or have a office job in the summer instead of trying to pile on summer classes & hurry up in get out. It's great if you graduate early, or hell even on time, but it won't mean nothing if you don't have any experience.

Freshman and soph. year a lot of people are still trying to find themselves. Don't be surprised when that girl or your homie just up and stops being cool w/you and you don't know why.

Use ratemyprofessor.com It could possibly make your college experience 5 times easier..seriously.

That's all I can think of for now. Wish somebody had told me this back in '08 :smh:

DO NOT RIDE THE JOCK OF FRATERNITY/SORORITY MEMBERS!! Couldn't stand dudes constantly comin' up to me or my frat and acting like leeches. 

DO NOT RIDE THE JOCK OF FRATERNITY/SORORITY MEMBERS!! Couldn't stand dudes constantly comin' up to me or my frat and acting like leeches. 

Avy to post ratio and irony is overwhelming in this post.*

*Granted I'm partly biased because 99% of people in frats/sororities are some of the biggest tools I've ever met. No offense, of course (srs)

Last edited:
At orientation, try and talk to a ton of people so that you some what know them when the year actually starts.
Leave your dorm door open the first few days
Talk to all girls even if they aren't dimes, because they might have friends or tell you whats going on at night

I've been at school for 4 days so far, and it is :smokin:smokin

- go greek especially if you're at a smaller school
- live it up EVERY single day because it will all be over before you know it

Last edited:
Don't listen to this guy. Everyone isn't good at cheating and they pay for it dearly. A zero in the class is worse than an D on a exam.

I meant to study, not to cheat. lol idk i've always called them cheat sheets, when you summarize everything you need to know on a sheet or a couple sheets of paper

I looked at y'all as losers that needed others to make friends ...

I hooped though... so I guess I had some weight...

if you're just being nice, and the yambs say you're creepy, they prolly was JOs back in high school and are trying to turn over a new leaf.

The most approachable guys becomes cool.with many people ... my go to questions would be

What's your major?
Where you from?
why this college?

People love to explain their story, but whenever we encounter new people we just want to tell them OUR story...

If they say "I'm majoring in Bio " say "what? I thought about it but the classes I hear are tough. "

The person will say how its just studying and explain the classes to you and why they chose it. They get to talking, and you just ask questions.

Then say "well nice to meet you"... they exposed themselves to you, and now want to know about you... bamb... friend made.

Youre welcome..

Back
Top Bottom