Top 5 southern albums ever

I don't count VA or the clips as southern.
Yeah some were saying that when people mentioned Lord Willin' earlier (can't believe people like Lord Willin' more than Hell Hath No Fury?).  Anyway I live in one of the northernmost parts of the country (I'm talking about walk outside right now and the air will make your face hurt type deal) so for me maybe South seems to begin a little more North than it does for most.
laugh.gif

Stop putting boosie and webbie in here none of their albums are in top 50 southern albums...not sayin they aint had good singles but they are not classic albums that stand the test of time....nobody mentioned the souths greatest mc ever D.O.C. if not for the accident he wouldve been rap top 5 dead or alive ol boy was dope voice and pen game too strong plus he from the DFW so...

Those albums posted by Boosie and Webbie are classics though. I still thoroughly play cuts from those albums to this day, and you can go anywhere in the south and here a good 10-15 min session from the album and people go off.

Hell, here in Baltimore...they play whole 35 min sets from the Boosie/Webbie albums listed here in the clubs :lol:

Young dudes in my city still listen to 03 Boosie. Baltimore an East Coast city. The influence is crazy:

Last edited:
DOC is considered West Coast
DOC is not considered a west coast artist if you listen to his album he talks about dallas and southern mcin' he just was on westcoast movement production side hell at that time everybody out side of new york was sounding like west coast and miami bass artist

my 5:

Master P - Ghetto Dope
Three 6 Mafia - When The Smoke Clears
UGK - Ridin' Dirty
TI - Trap Muzik
Juvi - 400 Degreez

I wanted to include UGK on my list I really did but they've never made a cd where I could just listen straight through...however if you take Feds in town, front back, protect and serve from Super Tight and take off touched,that's why I carry from Ridin Dirty and replace them with the songs from Super Tight...that would've probably been the best cd out the south

I have to agree about UGK. They've had a bunch of bangers but I've never been able to throw one of their albums on and let it ride. Ridin Dirty when it first dropped maybe.

Missy deserves a nod as may a top 20 southern album because of innovating with Timbaland so does NERD/Pharrell Little Brother/Phonte is a dope mc and 9th was ill on production back in early to mid 2000s but thats my vote as for a expanded ranking....cause south is not like every other hip hop region cause south has always had the best producers ask ny heads about dj premier we been running hip hop way before master p and cash money..its interesting ny sound scape was shaped by a texas born and raised producer

Those albums posted by Boosie and Webbie are classics though. I still thoroughly play cuts from those albums to this day, and you can go anywhere in the south and here a good 10-15 min session from the album and people go off.

Hell, here in Baltimore...they play whole 35 min sets from the Boosie/Webbie albums listed here in the clubs
laugh.gif

Young dudes in my city still listen to 03 Boosie. Baltimore an East Coast city. The influence is crazy:
lawd really mayne???

Yeah some were saying that when people mentioned Lord Willin' earlier (can't believe people like Lord Willin' more than Hell Hath No Fury?).  Anyway I live in one of the northernmost parts of the country (I'm talking about walk outside right now and the air will make your face hurt type deal) so for me maybe South seems to begin a little more North than it does for most. :lol:

LORD WILLIN > HHNF

Stop putting boosie and webbie in here none of their albums are in top 50 southern albums...not sayin they aint had good singles but they are not classic albums that stand the test of time....nobody mentioned the souths greatest mc ever D.O.C. if not for the accident he wouldve been rap top 5 dead or alive ol boy was dope voice and pen game too strong plus he from the DFW so...

I personally think Gangsta Music is a classic.
If it's in someone's top 5, I have no beef about it.

Just me speaking though.

I wanted to include UGK on my list I really did but they've never made a cd where I could just listen straight through...however if you take Feds in town, front back, protect and serve from Super Tight and take off touched,that's why I carry from Ridin Dirty and replace them with the songs from Super Tight...that would've probably been the best cd out the south

Ridin Dirty
Dirty Money
Too Hard to swallow

1/2 of Super Tight

I can let ride

I'm surprised Dirty didn't get any love in here. My boy put me on to "The Pimp and The Gangsta" That joint was HARD. Then I messed with "Love Us or Hate Us" both CDs were mean.

"I know that y'all feeeeeeeeel me now,
since we drooooopped that Versatile,
Know y'all ain't seen my click in a while"

Last edited:
So Clipse and Missy are in the mix?
if it was most innovative impactful southern albums then yes but straight top 5 all time probably not or the top 5 expanded to top 25....the south is so diverse cause we take in all the other regions sound so u might here a more west coast approach like early htown music or more east coast sound with little brother jay electronica 9th wonder etc...

Let's not get carried away.

Larry Smith, Kurtis Mantronik, Ced Gee, Marley Marl and many others were crafting that "sound scape" before Preme got on.
no disrespect to the originators but premier is ny go to guy for that raw ny sound

Back
Top Bottom