Ubuntu users

What's the easiest way to put Microsoft Office on there?
I don't have any version of Ubuntu installed yet, just thinking about putting it on my sister's laptop. She needs Office though

I don't have any version of Ubuntu installed yet, just thinking about putting it on my sister's laptop. She needs Office though

use openoffice or libreoffice
libreoffice comes pre installed with 11.04 & is fully compatible with microsoft docs

use openoffice or libreoffice
libreoffice comes pre installed with 11.04 & is fully compatible with microsoft docs

Originally Posted by omgitswes

It comes with Open Office which allows you to save in Office 97-2000 file format. Unless she needs MS Office specific features. If thats the case I doubt there is an MS office for it. Could be though.

It comes with Open Office which allows you to save in Office 97-2000 file format. Unless she needs MS Office specific features. If thats the case I doubt there is an MS office for it. Could be though.

Yeah, I know about open office but she really wants MS Office. She doesn't like using it because I have Lubuntu on another computer and it's on there
I need it too just for OneNote

Yeah, I know about open office but she really wants MS Office. She doesn't like using it because I have Lubuntu on another computer and it's on there

The newest version comes with LibreOffice, which should be enough if she just needs docs and the basic stuff.

You might be able to use WINE to run Office, if you absolutely need it for some reason.

The newest version comes with LibreOffice, which should be enough if she just needs docs and the basic stuff.

You might be able to use WINE to run Office, if you absolutely need it for some reason.

i thought libreoffice was pretty good
ohwell.gif

i thought libreoffice was pretty good
ohwell.gif

You cant. You can run it through wine but why waste the time. Install VirtualBox and create a Virtual Machine using XP and install Office on the Virtual Machine.

You cant. You can run it through wine but why waste the time. Install VirtualBox and create a Virtual Machine using XP and install Office on the Virtual Machine.

That's more work than I feel like going through honestly.

What about drivers? I'm going to have to reinstall the drivers and there are only windows drivers for the laptop. Anyway I can get those to work?

That's more work than I feel like going through honestly.

What about drivers? I'm going to have to reinstall the drivers and there are only windows drivers for the laptop. Anyway I can get those to work?

Ubuntu should automatically find drivers for your hardware, although if it cant find a driver for the wifi card/ethernet  you might have a problem since it wouldnt be able to connect to the internet to search.

Ubuntu should automatically find drivers for your hardware, although if it cant find a driver for the wifi card/ethernet  you might have a problem since it wouldnt be able to connect to the internet to search.

Correct... I originally had an issue with my wireless card being recognized with Ubuntu... but it was eventually solved by google searching or looking on ubuntu forums, I have yet to come across a problem that couldn't be answered by looking online.

Check out a couple "essential programs" or "what to do after installing" pages for some more info if you're curious... this is a good start http://www.omgubuntu.co.u...installing-ubuntu-11-04/

Personally I'm not a fan of Unity at all, so I'm using the Classic version right now.

Correct... I originally had an issue with my wireless card being recognized with Ubuntu... but it was eventually solved by google searching or looking on ubuntu forums, I have yet to come across a problem that couldn't be answered by looking online.

Check out a couple "essential programs" or "what to do after installing" pages for some more info if you're curious... this is a good start http://www.omgubuntu.co.u...installing-ubuntu-11-04/

Personally I'm not a fan of Unity at all, so I'm using the Classic version right now.

hopefully it does recognize the drivers automatically. If not I'm going to have to order a restore disk and just go back to windows

hopefully it does recognize the drivers automatically. If not I'm going to have to order a restore disk and just go back to windows

just use the live cd/usb before you install it to the hard drive.
if it can find all the drivers on the live cd your good

Originally Posted by Big J 33

yeah man unity is just
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom