• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ELI5: I'm rooted, bootloader unlocked and have Franco kernel. Getting an error every time I do OTA update to 5.0.1 on my N5. What do I need to do to install update? Go back to stock? wipe everything? 
embarassed.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs View Post

To the NTer with the Galaxy Note Edge. Can you provide an NT exclusive review please? Doesn't have to be too extensive.

I have a Galaxy Note Edge. Was waiting for it since I seen I heard about this phone. I can honestly say at first use, I fell in love with it especially coming from my G2. The lightweight phone is beautiful.

Pros:
The edge screen makes multitasking pretty useful with the already convenient given multitasking seen with the Note line. Definitely bought insurance for this phone, being that most places don't replace this screen since its so unique. The added little features like adding personal picture on your lockscreen on the edge to being able to have your S Health feed on the screen is great to have on the side without having to interrupt an open app or even without turning on your lockscreen. The edge screen has replaced my dock on my main screen and my main apps (Chrome, SMS, Phone, Email, and Settings) are stowed nicely on the edge screen upon swiping and activating the edge screen. The Milk Music app that comes with the phone has replaced my Pandora use and the play buttons are on the edge screen as well as your regular music app when its open. It gives me the convenience of plugging my headphones in, swiping to the left on the edge and pressing play without having to unlock and open my phone to listen to music before I ride on my motorcycle.

Avg 12-16 hours battery life with OST avg 4-5 hours Max. Lock button took awhile to get used to being on the top, but theres an app that has an icon to "Tap to lock" device and I added to the edge screen to lock the phone easier on the side. Exact specs as the Note 4. Adding "Pie controls" and the Go Launcher makes pulling the notification drawer easier on the Note series being that the pie control activates on the bottom screen to pull down notification drawer and the Go launcher home screen, swiping down pulls the notification drawer.

Turning on flashlight and timer/stop watch on the edge without unlocking the phone is nice.

Running out of ideas to talk about so ask questions if you I didn't mention anything.

Cons:
Occasional lag on the device when switching between apps or pressing the Multiwindow button for your open apps. Turned animations to 0.5x and feels faster now. No lollipop for now. No root available and very very limited Devs. Bloatware up the A** with AT&T. Can't think of any other cons ATM.

Verdict:
I love the Note edge but waiting for the OTA update but have been close to switching to the Nexus 6 (other choice of phone at the time).

Last edited:
Is the edge really useful on that note? I was leaning towards that and the Z3 before finally settling on the N6. It seemed like it'd be a cool idea, but i just didn't think there would be any added functionality that couldn't be achieved with lockscreen shortcuts.

Yea what ever you say. There is no official lollipop for your m8 right now. Try again

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

not android related, but still cool

[h1]Intel’s HDMI Dongle Turns Dumb Screens Into Computers[/h1]

Pocket-sized Compute Stick processor packs enough power for Wi-Fi, web browsing and media streaming

When new technology debuts at CES, it usually does so on a grand scale (Samsung’s 20+ screen booth, we’re thinking of you). However, one of this year’s most innovative gadgets bucks the long-standing tradition: at CES 2015, Intel debuted the Compute Stick, a portable “computer” small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.

The Compute Stick is a four-inch long device that can turn any HDMI port into a fully-operating computer. Slightly larger than the Google Chromecast, it holds an Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] Atom[emoji]8482[/emoji] Z3735F quad-core processor—packing enough power for web browsing, media streaming, and light productivity. The stick is also preinstalled with either a Windows 8.1 or Linux operating system, effectively matching the capabilities of most lightweight laptops.

Once plugged into a television’s HDMI port, the Compute Stick offers up to 32GB of storage and 2GB of RAM (a micro-SD memory card can be inserted for extra storage). Users can connect keyboards and mouses via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth systems, as well as access their files using Windows Remote Desktop. The device connects to an external power source through a micro-USB.

The Compute Stick eliminates the barriers between television and computer, expediting the fusion of entertainment and productivity devices. Though wireless connectivity is nothing new for TV, central processing and RAM storage increase a television’s ability to query, download files, and remember preferences. With these additions, TV-Internet interaction will no longer be limited to clunky Netflix searches.

Television-computers hold great opportunity for mobile working: residential spaces can double as functional offices, while transitory locations—such as airport lounges or even restaurants—will accommodate meetings and presentations. The Compute Stick may have an even more powerful impact on underserved regions: for minimal cost, existing social centers with TVs could provide educational and productivity opportunities for communities.

Intel’s Compute Stick is expected to enter the market in 2015. A Windows 8.1 version with 32GB storage and 2GB RAM will retail for $149, while a Linux version at 8GB storage and 1GB RAM will retail for $89.

I have a Galaxy Note Edge. Was waiting for it since I seen I heard about this phone. I can honestly say at first use, I fell in love with it especially coming from my G2. The lightweight phone is beautiful.

Pros:
The edge screen makes multitasking pretty useful with the already convenient given multitasking seen with the Note line. Definitely bought insurance for this phone, being that most places don't replace this screen since its so unique. The added little features like adding personal picture on your lockscreen on the edge to being able to have your S Health feed on the screen is great to have on the side without having to interrupt an open app or even without turning on your lockscreen. The edge screen has replaced my dock on my main screen and my main apps (Chrome, SMS, Phone, Email, and Settings) are stowed nicely on the edge screen upon swiping and activating the edge screen. The Milk Music app that comes with the phone has replaced my Pandora use and the play buttons are on the edge screen as well as your regular music app when its open. It gives me the convenience of plugging my headphones in, swiping to the left on the edge and pressing play without having to unlock and open my phone to listen to music before I ride on my motorcycle.

Avg 12-16 hours battery life with OST avg 4-5 hours Max. Lock button took awhile to get used to being on the top, but theres an app that has an icon to "Tap to lock" device and I added to the edge screen to lock the phone easier on the side. Exact specs as the Note 4. Adding "Pie controls" and the Go Launcher makes pulling the notification drawer easier on the Note series being that the pie control activates on the bottom screen to pull down notification drawer and the Go launcher home screen, swiping down pulls the notification drawer.

Turning on flashlight and timer/stop watch on the edge without unlocking the phone is nice.

Running out of ideas to talk about so ask questions if you I didn't mention anything.

Cons:
Occasional lag on the device when switching between apps or pressing the Multiwindow button for your open apps. Turned animations to 0.5x and feels faster now. No lollipop for now. No root available and very very limited Devs. Bloatware up the A** with AT&T. Can't think of any other cons ATM.

Verdict:
I love the Note edge but waiting for the OTA update but have been close to switching to the Nexus 6 (other choice of phone at the time).

[COLOR=#red]Much appreciated bro. Hearing this from you and watching an in-depth vid review this morning I'm convinced this is not a gimmick

I admittedly thought it was more gimmick than useful. But that's happens when a person makes assumptions before actually looking into something.[/COLOR]

I think it was originally meant for the qhd screens that's prob why it didn't do anything for the n5

New Project Ara Update - Prototype and Pilot Launch announced

Google’s Project Ara modular smartphone project is arriving soon, at least if you’re in Puerto Rico. At its Project Ara Module Developers Conference today, Google said that it plans to launch a pilot in Puerto Rico in the second half of this year, selling phone chassis and modules through local carrier partners, as well as through a fleet of small trucks.

Google today said there’s still lots of work to be done before you find it at stores in the US and elsewhere. The multi-phase project is currently in phase 2, or what Google calls “Spiral 2.” It’s gone from something that can connect only to Wi-Fi to one that supports 3G wireless, with Google’s Advanced Technology and Projects group saying that it’s working on carrier deals to help get this on store shelves at some point. Still ahead are things like adding support for 4G LTE, as well as a way for developers to make and sell modules that will work with these devices. Google also still needs to figure out how much all this will cost, and whether consumers will grok the idea of buying a bunch of tiny parts that can dramatically change the way their phone operates.

Spiral_2_prototype_137.0.jpg

Spiral_2_prototype_088.0.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/7546841/google-project-ara-prototype-2015

Can't wait. Been paying close attention to this.

Last edited:
What SMS app are you guys using? I have been using Textra for over a month and I like it but I also kinda want to see what my other options are.

Picking up a note 4 tonight .. finally

Any apps,tricks, do's & dont's?

Pixel battery saver
xposed module
wanam xposed
Wifi tether router
Cool N64
clean master
Aviary (cool editing app)

Also, those who have pron on their phones, you can encrypt them and at the same time rename em on es file explorer. (Read up on this)

Pixel battery saver
xposed module
wanam xposed
Wifi tether router
Cool N64
clean master
Aviary (cool editing app)

Also, those who have pron on their phones, you can encrypt them and at the same time rename em on es file explorer. (Read up on this)

If you guys are gonna get pixel battery saver google the apk or search for it on xda. The version in the play store changed into some malware

So back again with my Galaxy Nexus... been thinking about getting a used phone for now until a proper 64-bit android flagship comes out that I like... Any suggestions on a used phone I should mess around with for the time being?

Back
Top Bottom