What Is The Most Important SKILL In Basketball?

I'm sorry but Shooting does not equal scoring the basketball.. that's a way of scoring, but a true scorer does it all - they will pull up, they willspot up, they will goto the hole in a variety of ways. If you only shoot, you're a shooter - not a scorer... A scorer is somebody who can score anyhow,anyway - ie, Kobe, Jordan, etc..

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

And if ballhandling was more important than shooting...guys like Taliek Brown, Ed Cota, Terrell Stokes, etc. all would have had jobs in the NBA...but they didnt. Meanwhile...for example...a guy like Chris Quinn...who isn't HALF as good as those guys handling the ball or passing...has a job because he can shoot the ball.

To excel at either will get you far in basketball... if you want to talk about which is more essential, it's ballhandling.. however, if you're a better scorer, you might find a role on a team that already has ballhandlers.

Without ballhandling, shooting isn't possible my friend.

You couldn't be more wrong. Shooting > Ballhandling

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Without ballhandling, shooting isn't possible my friend.

tell that to guys like JJ Redick who just come off of screens and shoot the ball

catching a pass isn't ballhandling? how many JJ Reddick type shooters are there in the league anyhow? 3.. maybe 4? Okay - that's what ithought.

Everybody in the NBA, for the most part, can handle the ball at least a little bit - but all the superstars have very good handle.

not trying to hate on you, but all of you are wrong. it's not shooting, scoring,iq, passing, dribbling. the most important skills a basketball playershould have are fundamentals. without that he's nothing. why you think even the pro's work on their fundamentals? it is their fundamentals that setthem apart from each other. that and work ethic of course.

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

not trying to hate on you, but all of you are wrong. it's not shooting, scoring,iq, passing, dribbling. the most important skills a basketball player should have are fundamentals. without that he's nothing. why you think even the pro's work on their fundamentals? it is their fundamentals that set them apart from each other. that and work ethic of course.
lol...shooting , passing , dribbling are basketball fundamentals ...and how is IQ a skill??..since the game is all about putting the ball into thebasket its gotta be shooting...

Definitely ball handling/passing. If your a good dribble, you would be able to get where you want to go get your self a layup. Or drive to the hoop drawdefenders and pass it out.

i would say shooting. but obviously not because look at all the nba players who can't shoot. rondo, snow, duhon, watson, kidd, etc. next you would think D.but no. nash, amare, both have horrible D

Ever since I can remember, going to basketball practice Ive always done things in this order...basically this sequence because of importance

Ballhanding (catching, passing, dribbling)
Shooting
Defense

If you play for the Suns, it's flopping.

For everybody else, it's at the very least a mid range shot. Need to hit at least a 15 footer to be totally effective on the court. Ben and Bruce andDennis have made a nice career for themselves without one, but they are the exceptions.

i think everybody in here is overlooking the importance of conditioning. speed as a skill can be improved upon. endurance as a skill can be improved upon. ifany of the pros that have been mentioned were unable to "keep up" with the pace of the nba game, they would not have their jobs. try playing withsomebody who walks up the court. or can not follow their man on defense. worthless. liability. what good is it to be able to shoot if you can't get withinrange? how can your dribbling skills matter if you just stand in one space? i have seen mediocre players become much much better players by improving theirconditioning. everybody gets better by being able to run more, by being able to run faster, and by being able to run longer.

not trying to hate on you, but all of you are wrong. it's not shooting, scoring,iq, passing, dribbling. the most important skills a basketball player should have are fundamentals. without that he's nothing. why you think even the pro's work on their fundamentals? it is their fundamentals that set them apart from each other. that and work ethic of course.

if it's not shooting, scoring, passing, dribbling, then how do fundamentals even come into play?

Although I wouldn't say there is one BIG TIME skill, you have to have a Jump shot, if you have a jump shot you can sit out on the wing and just pop andshoot the ball. You don't need to create your own shot, hell you can be a bum and live your life on your shot.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by hole in the earth

lol...shooting , passing , dribbling are basketball fundamentals ...

roll.gif
roll.gif

How to teach ball handling - (passing and catching a basketball)
Do you understand the difference between ball-handling and passing abilities? Good ball-handling teams, including passing, are hard to beat; therefore, no coach should ever slight this aspect of the game. Use specific drills to emphasize this important fundamental.
Most coaches in the past looked for ball-handing ability in picking their players. The only other fundamental than ran a close second was shooting ability. The true test of any basketball offense is the ability to control the ball while looking for that high-percentage shot.

Catching the basketball is the first step in ball-handling. Every player should be taught how to catch the ball.

http://www.guidetocoachingbasketball.com/ball_handling.htm

Here's one example since you've never heard of it.....

Overall I'd say the jumpshot...if there's one thing that every player in the NBA can do...it's shoot the ball well...except for a select few bigmen.

Back
Top Bottom