What is this Adidas KB8 Black x Gold Sample?

Hi Guys

This is my first ever post and I need some help from you guys.
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

A little bit about me:
- I was frequently on Niketalk around 2004-2008, though I've never posted.
- Gone away since then (feels good to be back).
- I've still kept up with some releases as a sneaker fan.

What I need help on:
I have Adidas KB8 Black x Gold Samples (Sz 9) that I am not really sure what the story behind it, exactly is.
Could anyone shed light?

Why?
I'm thinking about letting these go to fund my new startup. I'm selling most of my shoe's that I've collected (XI's, Travis Scott, etc) over the years.
I'm not entirely sure what to do with this pair, because I'm not entirely sure with what I am dealing with here.
But it's one of those shoe's that I feel I have a history with.

What I (think I) know:
- I bought these on Yahoo Auctions! in Japan. I don't remember when that was, but somewhere around 2002-2008-ish. I think I paid around $100-150.
- It's worn
- I don't think these are Crazy 8 samples because I believe Crazy 8's were retro-ed after that
- I can't find anything on the internet about what this sample is
- I remember seeing a picture of KB8 in this Black x Gold colorway which was supposedly a sample made for Kobe to celebrate his some kind of achievement
- I did a little digging on the Niketalk archive and found this:
oh unfortunately the blk/gold didnt came out to the public~ they were to celebrate kobe to win the dunk contest of the all star game.
- I also found this:

So can any one help me understand what it is?
Is it just a sample? If so, why was this color made?
Why is Kobe wearing this color, playing in a mall in the Philippines?

Thanks Guys!

The video is insane. One of the best youtube clips I've seen in a while

Attachments

• IMG_9733.jpg
    IMG_9733.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9734.JPG
    IMG_9734.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9735.JPG
    IMG_9735.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9736.jpg
    IMG_9736.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9733.jpg
    IMG_9733.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9734.JPG
    IMG_9734.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9735.JPG
    IMG_9735.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_9736.jpg
    IMG_9736.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 104
It’s tough to say what they’re worth.

Kobe’s Adidas aren’t worth as much as his Nike’s.

Those are KB8s, not Crazy 8.

Being worn hurts their value a lot.

They released that color way eventually in 08 ish.

I’d guess you could get $200-$400. Probably would take some time to sell.

Thanks man
Yeah, I understand it could take time. I guess putting them on ebay would make sense together with the Air Flight Huarache Home PE's

Any other interesting story behind the color way?
I'm just amused by the fact that it's only been worn at a mall in Phillippines

I'm my opinion these aren't worth much. These are a preproduction sample of a colorway that was eventually released. Usually, if you have a sample of a colorway that wasn't released it ends up being worth more. In comparison, if you had these in an unreleased lakers colorway they would draw a lot more interest and attention.

The condition doesn't help the value as well since they are worn. Kobe fans and Collectors may appreciate having this pair in their collection if they were still brand new.

Kobe's presence and brand was very strong in Asia and so Adidas and Nike would plan trips for Kobe in the off season. This specific colorway could have been in the plan of releasing around the time of his visit and that's why he was asked to wear them during this appearance.

I can't confirm if this colorway was made to celebrate Kobe's dunk contest win or not. But I personally would be doubtful of that because he did not wear this model in the dunk contest. He wore a completely different shoe.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom