When did the "general consensus" for Greatest Album move from Paid In Full to Illmatic?

Originally Posted by LiquidCREAM

80's opinion vs 90's opinion
I wonder what the 00's babies are gonna think is the best album?

The Blueprint is the best album in 00's by far nothin Wayne puts out will ever touch The Blueprint (btw I'm from New Orleans..lol) but to to stay on

topic I have to say Illmatic but the importance of Paid In Full is undeniable Rakim is the father of the modern rap style...but Illmatic is a masterpiece

like for real that album made dudes step up their Lyrical content & subject matter...

Originally Posted by LiquidCREAM

80's opinion vs 90's opinion
I wonder what the 00's babies are gonna think is the best album?

The Blueprint is the best album in 00's by far nothin Wayne puts out will ever touch The Blueprint (btw I'm from New Orleans..lol) but to to stay on

topic I have to say Illmatic but the importance of Paid In Full is undeniable Rakim is the father of the modern rap style...but Illmatic is a masterpiece

like for real that album made dudes step up their Lyrical content & subject matter...

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Reasonable Doubt > *

my man
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Culturally, Ready To Die > Illmatic

Big changed the game to where all the regular overweight cats knew they didnt have to overcompensate for their weight. Heavy D had did it to a certain degree before, but not the way BIG did it. BIG had more of a mic presence that Nas did on RTD, whereas Nas pen game on Illmatic set the bar for lyricism in hip hp

Jesus Pieces, Coogi, Kangols....and to think BIG was in his early 20s. Shoot even the format I spoke of was laid down on RTD. BIG just blew it out the water with LAD. You had "One More Chance" and "Juicy"....and Puff gave Hype Willams  a great look directing "One More Chance"

Nas was dope..but he couldnt make a "Juicy" to save his life...and BIG hated that song originally. 

Big changed the game to where all the regular overweight cats knew they didnt have to overcompensate for their weight. Heavy D had did it to a certain degree before, but not the way BIG did it. BIG had more of a mic presence that Nas did on RTD, whereas Nas pen game on Illmatic set the bar for lyricism in hip hp

Jesus Pieces, Coogi, Kangols....and to think BIG was in his early 20s. Shoot even the format I spoke of was laid down on RTD. BIG just blew it out the water with LAD. You had "One More Chance" and "Juicy"....and Puff gave Hype Willams  a great look directing "One More Chance"

Nas was dope..but he couldnt make a "Juicy" to save his life...and BIG hated that song originally. 

I never felt that LAD > RTD movement
that 1 disc of heat rock was so much more monumental than the two

I never felt that LAD > RTD movement
that 1 disc of heat rock was so much more monumental than the two

Originally Posted by Evolution Fight

paid in full was to illmatic what dr. j was to mj

What He Said.

For The Record... Am I Reading This Correctly... Are people saying that Illmatic WASN'T a Game Changer???

85e25bd44e74c83954ea95035166cfe4d04856e_r.gif

Originally Posted by Evolution Fight

paid in full was to illmatic what dr. j was to mj

What He Said.

For The Record... Am I Reading This Correctly... Are people saying that Illmatic WASN'T a Game Changer???

85e25bd44e74c83954ea95035166cfe4d04856e_r.gif

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Agreed. 
Cake, I don't know that Illmatic really was a "game changer". It was an INCREDIBLE album, but I'm not sure it really helped define Rap music releases after the fact. 

I think you can see the influence of Paid In Full in an Illmatic, in The Infamous, even in a Ready To Die and a Life After Death. All of which are massive, monumental releases in their own right. 

I'm not sure Illmatic changed the game and influenced other MASSIVE albums. That's not to diminish it's greatness or impact. 

This was all a long time ago. Many spliffs ago. Maybe I'm not recalling it right. 

loved both albums but as a kid growing up in the 90s i related to illmatic more. ill never forget the first time i heard TWIY
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Agreed. 
Cake, I don't know that Illmatic really was a "game changer". It was an INCREDIBLE album, but I'm not sure it really helped define Rap music releases after the fact. 

I think you can see the influence of Paid In Full in an Illmatic, in The Infamous, even in a Ready To Die and a Life After Death. All of which are massive, monumental releases in their own right. 

I'm not sure Illmatic changed the game and influenced other MASSIVE albums. That's not to diminish it's greatness or impact. 

This was all a long time ago. Many spliffs ago. Maybe I'm not recalling it right. 

loved both albums but as a kid growing up in the 90s i related to illmatic more. ill never forget the first time i heard TWIY
pimp.gif

If anything, wasn't Illmatic seen as a disappointment at the time?

Clearly the music was there, but he didn't bring back the east like everyone thought he would...
Big did that...

I remember Questlove telling a story about how at the 95 Source Awards, Big was winning Everything and getting all the love and Nas was just sitting in his sit, slumped looking tight...
He said that was probably the beginning of It Was Written right there...

if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense
laugh.gif

If anything, wasn't Illmatic seen as a disappointment at the time?

Clearly the music was there, but he didn't bring back the east like everyone thought he would...
Big did that...

I remember Questlove telling a story about how at the 95 Source Awards, Big was winning Everything and getting all the love and Nas was just sitting in his sit, slumped looking tight...
He said that was probably the beginning of It Was Written right there...

if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by illphillip

laugh.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif
@ spliffs.  I remember my older cousins from NY calling them that all the time. Memories.

but in all honesty i could be wrong or maybe a little biased but I remember everyone saying that Nas changed the game with that album.  I vividly remember Rae & Ghost talking about how he changed hiphop with that one how it made boys go back and rethink their approach make sure they were sharp.

Its crazy because imo the 3 lps that drastically shaped the genre as we've seen it all came out within 5 months of each other (36 Chambers Nov 93, Illmatic April 94, Ready to Die Sept 94)  Each did something different and equally important to the genre that changed the game in my eyes. Wu introduced taht GUTTER Street essence of grime that the game had never seen before and probably never EVER will be again. Nas put a significant emphasis on your pen game, no diss but Heavy D/Grand Puba lyrics were officially done.  The re-introduction/advancement on complex rhyme pattern & scheme with razor sharp bars spitters era had begun. Big... what can be said that hasn't been said
30t6p3b.gif

So yea like old boy said... PIF = Dr. J  Ill = MJ... without one we can speculate the latter wouldn't be the same, but the latter did for the scope of genre in its own regard... well its just special.

Originally Posted by illphillip

laugh.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif
@ spliffs.  I remember my older cousins from NY calling them that all the time. Memories.

but in all honesty i could be wrong or maybe a little biased but I remember everyone saying that Nas changed the game with that album.  I vividly remember Rae & Ghost talking about how he changed hiphop with that one how it made boys go back and rethink their approach make sure they were sharp.

Its crazy because imo the 3 lps that drastically shaped the genre as we've seen it all came out within 5 months of each other (36 Chambers Nov 93, Illmatic April 94, Ready to Die Sept 94)  Each did something different and equally important to the genre that changed the game in my eyes. Wu introduced taht GUTTER Street essence of grime that the game had never seen before and probably never EVER will be again. Nas put a significant emphasis on your pen game, no diss but Heavy D/Grand Puba lyrics were officially done.  The re-introduction/advancement on complex rhyme pattern & scheme with razor sharp bars spitters era had begun. Big... what can be said that hasn't been said
30t6p3b.gif

So yea like old boy said... PIF = Dr. J  Ill = MJ... without one we can speculate the latter wouldn't be the same, but the latter did for the scope of genre in its own regard... well its just special.

Back
Top Bottom