When did the "general consensus" for Greatest Album move from Paid In Full to Illmatic?

I agree with all that Sey,however I do NOT approve of what you said about Grand Puba and Heavy D (ESPECIALLY Heavy D).
I'm quite offended actually...
QUITE offended.
*plays "Yes Ya'll" by Heavy D*

I agree with all that Sey,however I do NOT approve of what you said about Grand Puba and Heavy D (ESPECIALLY Heavy D).
I'm quite offended actually...
QUITE offended.
*plays "Yes Ya'll" by Heavy D*

I get the whole Dr. J/MJ thing. In terms of progression.

I don't think Illmatic is MJ. I think what Mike did was so insane on so many levels in terms of dominance.

I wouldn't even compare humans to albums. Jay is MJ on some real !++@ just in terms of kind of taking over the game on so many different levels.

Nas/Illmatic, are no MJ.

I hear you though Cake. I just don't think Illmatic changed the game on the same level I guess. Ra put the "pen game" on the map.

All good though. Both incredible in their own right.

I get the whole Dr. J/MJ thing. In terms of progression.

I don't think Illmatic is MJ. I think what Mike did was so insane on so many levels in terms of dominance.

I wouldn't even compare humans to albums. Jay is MJ on some real !++@ just in terms of kind of taking over the game on so many different levels.

Nas/Illmatic, are no MJ.

I hear you though Cake. I just don't think Illmatic changed the game on the same level I guess. Ra put the "pen game" on the map.

All good though. Both incredible in their own right.

I really need to listen to "Eric B. for President" right now but I'm on this Anita Baker/Isleys/Luther/Al kick in respects to it being "I Heart You" day... Might have to jump out of this lane for a quick second though
laugh.gif

I really need to listen to "Eric B. for President" right now but I'm on this Anita Baker/Isleys/Luther/Al kick in respects to it being "I Heart You" day... Might have to jump out of this lane for a quick second though
laugh.gif

I have to agree, Illmatic is kind of piece that stands alone, it didn't influence the game like PIF, or LAD did.  I mean look at Nas's followup for proof, its not like IWW exactly followed the same blueprint as Illmatic Nas hoped on the Cosa Nostra wave for the most part cause that was what the mood was at the time.  I would say even OB4CL was more of a game changer than Illmatic.  Illmatic was almost too good to be recreated in a sense.

I have to agree, Illmatic is kind of piece that stands alone, it didn't influence the game like PIF, or LAD did.  I mean look at Nas's followup for proof, its not like IWW exactly followed the same blueprint as Illmatic Nas hoped on the Cosa Nostra wave for the most part cause that was what the mood was at the time.  I would say even OB4CL was more of a game changer than Illmatic.  Illmatic was almost too good to be recreated in a sense.

Originally Posted by Milkman Dead

If anything, wasn't Illmatic seen as a disappointment at the time?

Clearly the music was there, but he didn't bring back the east like everyone thought he would...
Big did that...

I remember Questlove telling a story about how at the 95 Source Awards, Big was winning Everything and getting all the love and Nas was just sitting in his sit, slumped looking tight...
He said that was probably the beginning of It Was Written right there...

if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense
laugh.gif
you know what, this isn't da first time i heard that....he went into it was written with something to prove....hence why i gravitate to that album alot more then illmatic.

Clearly the music was there, but he didn't bring back the east like everyone thought he would...
Big did that...

I remember Questlove telling a story about how at the 95 Source Awards, Big was winning Everything and getting all the love and Nas was just sitting in his sit, slumped looking tight...

laugh.gif
you know what, this isn't da first time i heard that....he went into it was written with something to prove....hence why i gravitate to that album alot more then illmatic.

Big did that...

laugh.gif
this makes perfect sense. Thats why to me it will always be It Was Written > Illmatic

Big did that...

laugh.gif
this makes perfect sense. Thats why to me it will always be It Was Written > Illmatic

if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense ...

Really does...Illmatic just went platinum in like the 2000 i think if we're talking sales

I would say even OB4CL was more of a game changer than Illmatic

I see where youre coming from with this. I heard Jay was heavily bumping this and The Infamous prior to releasing Reasonable Doubt. OB4CL and RTD started that whole visual, cinematic trait a lotta hip hop albums had. OB4CL was based on this Chinese crime flick The Killer (a good flick if you can get your hands on it) so RZA made the album with the same theme of Rae being in the streets and him coming back for one last job.

Ready To Die had elemnets of 36 Chambers being that it was a gutter album but it showed BIGs versatility and ability to cross over with Juicy and One More Chance. BIG was a Wu fan and thats why you hear Rae and Ghost addressing him taking their slang and biting Nas on RTD cover. Tracks like Warning and Suicidal Thoughts play like a movie...then the album segued perfectly into LAD

I dont even think cats even know that BIG wrote in his head till way after the fact and that's what tripped people out. He was a damn good freestyler but to make tracks especially Bad Boy type crossover singles, you need a exceptional talent. Nas, for what its worth, couldnt or didnt do that on Illmatic

Back
Top Bottom