Why do people like the Wire ?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Orfiyus

There are ways around not having premium channels and still watching what you want.
That doesn't negate my statement. A LOT of people that I personally know didn't like the Wire until it came on BET because they didn't have HBO.

And even though people on here like to think the behaviors of NT'ers are the majority, a LOT of people have no idea how to watch stuff online for free if they don't have the channel.

Or just maybe those people that "hopped on" didn't have Premium Channels
I consider myself an avid tv watcher, always loved the entertainment industry, almost as much as I like sports. 

Even before college, I never really had cable, and it wasn't until the Sopranos aired that premium television cable networks started developing solid tv shows.  The Sopranos did usher in that era, since most tv shows were slated for network tv since there was more revenue on that side.  However, writers could push the envelope on premium cable without having to worry about the FCC breathing down the networks neck.

I'm also a visual elitist, I hate watching tv/movies on my phone, cpu monitor, or any other small device.  I know it's there for convenience, but I don't like it.  I like to kick my feet up and watch that !%%% on my big *%* tv.  Plus a lot of streams at that time (2000-2005) were junk and the option to hook your laptop to your big *%* tv required additional cables.  Now it's much easier.

Plus, I wouldn't even tune in to BET, just for the principle of supporting a trash network,
laugh.gif

I kept a mental list of all the shows that I didn't get to watch: Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Oz, etc. etc.

In the end, does it matter when people watched the series?

Spoiler [+]
btw, this is the reason I love NT
- In the Netflix dudes where going in about it only being $6 extra a month.
-Yet NT is the place where people refuse and chastise people for paying for music and cable,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Orfiyus

There are ways around not having premium channels and still watching what you want.
That doesn't negate my statement. A LOT of people that I personally know didn't like the Wire until it came on BET because they didn't have HBO.

And even though people on here like to think the behaviors of NT'ers are the majority, a LOT of people have no idea how to watch stuff online for free if they don't have the channel.

Or just maybe those people that "hopped on" didn't have Premium Channels
I consider myself an avid tv watcher, always loved the entertainment industry, almost as much as I like sports. 

Even before college, I never really had cable, and it wasn't until the Sopranos aired that premium television cable networks started developing solid tv shows.  The Sopranos did usher in that era, since most tv shows were slated for network tv since there was more revenue on that side.  However, writers could push the envelope on premium cable without having to worry about the FCC breathing down the networks neck.

I'm also a visual elitist, I hate watching tv/movies on my phone, cpu monitor, or any other small device.  I know it's there for convenience, but I don't like it.  I like to kick my feet up and watch that !%%% on my big *%* tv.  Plus a lot of streams at that time (2000-2005) were junk and the option to hook your laptop to your big *%* tv required additional cables.  Now it's much easier.

Plus, I wouldn't even tune in to BET, just for the principle of supporting a trash network,
laugh.gif

I kept a mental list of all the shows that I didn't get to watch: Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Oz, etc. etc.

In the end, does it matter when people watched the series?

Spoiler [+]
btw, this is the reason I love NT
- In the Netflix dudes where going in about it only being $6 extra a month.
-Yet NT is the place where people refuse and chastise people for paying for music and cable,
laugh.gif

This show is absolutely brilliant. I'm almost done w season 5 (taking my time with it because these are the last few episodes) and it really is some of the best TV I've ever watched. 

What got me hooked was the first season. To those who hold no interest in the Wire: if you like / listen NY hip hop (Jay-Z, Ghostface, Mobb Deep, etc), I think you'll at least enjoy season 1. I started watching Season 1 shortly after I read Decoded and a lot of the subject matter that's talked about in the book and in several songs were coming to life on the screen. I argue that season 1 is so Hip Hop without even being about Hip Hop. I brought this up to a few of my friends who began watching it, and they agreed. Hopefully it resonates with some of NT's members.

in fact i just found this trailer:

Spoiler [+]
listen closely to the lyrics
pimp.gif

This show is absolutely brilliant. I'm almost done w season 5 (taking my time with it because these are the last few episodes) and it really is some of the best TV I've ever watched. 

What got me hooked was the first season. To those who hold no interest in the Wire: if you like / listen NY hip hop (Jay-Z, Ghostface, Mobb Deep, etc), I think you'll at least enjoy season 1. I started watching Season 1 shortly after I read Decoded and a lot of the subject matter that's talked about in the book and in several songs were coming to life on the screen. I argue that season 1 is so Hip Hop without even being about Hip Hop. I brought this up to a few of my friends who began watching it, and they agreed. Hopefully it resonates with some of NT's members.

in fact i just found this trailer:

Spoiler [+]
listen closely to the lyrics
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JRAdagreat72

It's a show that displays real life in the streets. so many subplots/stories. Loosely based on true events and the acting is superb. so.......

maybe you just dont get it? idk. I used to feel the same way until I got through the 1st season.

+1

Originally Posted by JRAdagreat72

It's a show that displays real life in the streets. so many subplots/stories. Loosely based on true events and the acting is superb. so.......

maybe you just dont get it? idk. I used to feel the same way until I got through the 1st season.

+1

Because it took the police/street crime drama to another level and continues to be THE standard for these type of shows. How many lame cop shows exist now that don't even come close? After watching The Wire and The Shield, every other cop show is just laughable these days

Because it took the police/street crime drama to another level and continues to be THE standard for these type of shows. How many lame cop shows exist now that don't even come close? After watching The Wire and The Shield, every other cop show is just laughable these days

Back
Top Bottom