Why do people look down on people who do "blue collar" jobs?

i consider blue collar jobs anything thats not the traditional 9-5 office thing

thats not to say that some of those dont require training,education, certification etc

for example

the guy who shows up to his hourly telemarketer job  in a suit to work in his little cubicle  ( he is blue collar even though he works in an "office" and wears a suit)

the engineer with a 4 year degree who shows up to work at his corporate office in khakis and a polo ( white collar imo)

The line between blue/white collar is blurry.

Stress levels are different with each, cant say one is more stressful than the other.

Growing up, blue collar to me was manual labor (loading/unloading trucks, lifting heavy weight, factory work, assembly line, hands-on auto, truck drivers, basically jobs that required you to push yourself physically)

White collar was sitting at a desk most of the day with limited movement. (pushing papers, finance jobs, programmers)

So what exactly is an office worker? Just someone who sits there all day and types sh? So that's your definition of "white collar". That secretary that makes 13 dollars an hour is "white collar"?:lol:

Who's talking "white-collar"?????

But to me anyone who works in an environment that doesn't require heavy technical labor is white collar...within that umbrella there are great jobs where you can be your own boss and then there are jobs which are stagnant in which you practically sit behind a computer from 9-5 punching digits into a spreadsheet.

Blue collar >>>>>> those jobs

At the end of the day....so long they provide an income a job is a job tho....no shame in that.

When i hear 'white collar" i think investment banker, lawyer, doctor etc. I.e. the professions they make those drama shows about.

Blue collar i associate with construction workers, security guards, footlocker employees etc.

So it's contempt really.

Manual labor

So doctors, dentists, engineers, scientists are included?

I mean bro....if you want to be this petty I guess a writer is in the same category as an iron worker :lol:

Both jobs require your hands, both I guess are manual labor :lol:

Last edited:
You got it fam....you got it....call it what you want, you seem to be the only one confused when making the distinction between blue/white collar jobs :lol:

Let me chill before you guys take this to heart and use it to create some misconception about me. 100k is nothing to sneeze at that's good money and you'll make a good living with that. In no way was J being serious.

You guys can carry on with the nonsense

Using a dremel on a knee cap requires the same type of knowledge and education as using the same dremel on a piece of Sheetrock :rofl:

Why do we even bother with fam.

You guys keep using 100k as the benchmark as if that's a lot of money.
100k may not be what it was back in the day but still

for the average college grad to get a 100k salary out of school is impressive 

so it can be defined as a measure of success especially when people are working at walmart for 10$ an hour to feed their families 100k a year seems like a lot compared to the national average

sure it is not a million but anyone making 100k a year should be able to live comfortably 

here we go with this arbitrary number associated with successful career crap

100k in LA, The Bay, NYC, Miami or DC is like 60k for the rest of us 

so if your not living in one of those 4/5 markets 100k is great youll be able to afford a 4k square foot crib and the car you want and take vacations etc provided that moneys for you alone

130kish householddd income here and im fine, we want to be doing better and will be but as a  20 summthin 100k is GUCCI

Last edited:
When i hear 'white collar" i think investment banker, lawyer, doctor etc. I.e. the professions they make those drama shows about.

Blue collar i associate with construction workers, security guards, footlocker employees etc.

So it's contempt really.
basically this

I didn't say any of this, not sure where you're getting this from. Obviously putting screws in somebody's spine requires more knowledge. 4 years of med school and 5 years of residency to be exact.

So are you saying cause they read a lot they ain't blue collar?
my uncle is a doctor with his own practice he is hands on with his patients all day

my aunt runs a restaurant and sits in her office all day

i am sure society would generally agree with me and say my uncle is a "white collar" worker and my aunt is "blue collar"

Someone's upset.
Lol nah you already admitted you say outrageous things on here to get people going .. Your lame
I said that in response to one thing(this these now being 2). If you want to broadly apply it to everything I say then so be it.

I'm not here to beef with you man, I don't want to cause problems or be regarded in the way you're speaking of me.

Apologies for the previous outlandish comments and the hostility.

Last edited:
basically this

my uncle is a doctor with his own practice he is hands on with his patients all day
my aunt runs a restaurant and sits in her office all day

i am sure society would generally agree with me and say my uncle is a "white collar" worker and my aunt is "blue collar"

Basically....my dude complicating **** for no reason :lol:

No mention of pink collar jobs?

In the United States, a pink-collar worker performs jobs in the service industry (nursing, teaching, waitressing). In contrast, blue-collar workers are working-class people who perform skilled or unskilled manual labor, and white-collar workers typically perform professional, managerial, or administrative work in an office environment.

Just adding fuel to the fire. Everyone getting rustled in here over which category jobs fit into :rofl:

Having your own company/being your own boss and creating jobs > working for someone else. That's the ultimate goal for me. Pink, blue, or white collar...who cares? I just want the green.

because they make more money than them. which makes them fell superior and they tend to forget wherer they came from. "people" tend to think there lazy not ambitious and with the little power they have they abuse it.

the whole point of OP was about people looking down for working "blue collar" jobs

my aunt makes more money than my uncle

but because he went to medical school and runs his own practice people will be more impressed and view him as more successful 

because they are taught their whole lives that those who go to school make more and those who dont are lazy and work "unskilled jobs"

Blue collar work literally means manual labor though.

Also doesn't necessarily mean less educated [emoji]128064[/emoji]

Last edited:
Shoot, I respect the hell out of those construction workers that build these high rise buildings in NYC and all over.

This Dominican dude around my way made sure his son got his construction papers etc soon after he turned 18, and now kid is 24 and drives a BMV.

To answer OP question, arrogance And brainwashing.

You guys keep using 100k as the benchmark as if that's a lot of money.

The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2014 that: U.S. real (inflation adjusted) median household income was $51,939. Most of these cats arent event going to come close to seeing $100,000 a year in their lifetime. So yeah, it is still a good amount of money.

And nobody should look down on blue collar workers, but lets be real, nobody really grows up wanting to be a construction worker or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can live comfortably off 70k a year with an unemployed wife with two car notes....etc....you nowhere near rich at 100k a year, but that salary is great money if you ask me and that's here in NY...you ain't gonna be living in a Greenpoint loft or driving a lambo, but you'll be aight.

Back
Top Bottom