Why don't young "shoe-heads" live in the "now" rather than chasing retroes??

Originally Posted by Zachariaahh

its funny that all you can mention is the fact that my mommy and daddy arent broke like yours? oh and not to mention not everyone buys there kicks at footlocker like you cause we all know they barely stock anything
and its funny that all the old guys are up in the middle of the night talking trash to younger kids?

get a life... I got way more heat than you do regardless of the number...
Wait.. this dude is BRAGGING about his parents buying him his shoes? Pathetic. +%%@$*@ lame

I'm 17 and the game I remember watching was when Jordan hit the last shot. Before that I was a bulls fan for 2 years and when I saw that MJ turned into thebest ever to me. I never payed attention to his shoes until spacejam which was the best kids movie and i have it on DVD today. I always wore team jordans ingrades 1-5 but then I wore retros. My first pair I really got excited about were my spacejam retros. I wish I still had them but they were a size 8.5.

Here's a paradox, some of you teenie boppers are saying the mature collectors need to "get a life and stop living in the past," one of you saidwe shouldn't try to follow trends and should rock new balances like other people our age lol, YET you get hyped over a shoe you know nothing about. Forexample, the Pippens or Pennys retro and you logon NT and see everyone going ape**** so you run and go get them...sounds like you all are the ones living in apast you never even lived. Let's just be real here, the only reason you young heads want OG's is to show them off. As a mature collector I get OG'sthat I remember having or had always wanted. So all that "we like the design" noise should be silenced, because the truth is you just like the HYPE.

I collect SHOES(not just Js but personally i think them pennys and all that are ugly as hell) anyways...i collect em because i like the way they look...when ifirst saw the space jams i KNEW they were dope...i dont need an OG head to fill me in on what happen back then or when MJ played in them or their representaionand alll that BS...i KNEW i liked them from the start...point blank...if i want a shoe is usually cuz i think they look throwed...

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

What's up fam
First and foremost, please only intellectual responses (all you young kids don't you have homework or something? lol
smile.gif
)

Anyway, I am 26 years old, and still remember the moment I fell in love with kicks... my neighbor down the street came over to my house to go play hoops (we were in the 3rd/4th grade) and he was wearing these....

http://photobucket.com/images/jordan vi

my heart completely sunk... I knew exactly what they were, more importantly HOW MUCH THEY WERE, and what it represented. In the early 90's Air Jordans were more than a shoe, it was a status symbol, and a sign of style and knowing "what's up". But for many of us, we were young, poor, or a combination of both so going to the local footlocker and picking up a pair was OUT OF THE QUESTION

For me, as a "shoe head", I mainly pick up all the Jordan's (Penny's, Nike's, etc) I wish I had growing up, but never had the chance to obtain (no way was my mom gonna pick me up a pair of $100+ kicks at that age.... far from a spoiled kid) But Saturday morning waking up and watching NBA on NBC, then heading to my rec league games WAS A BLAST TO GROW UP WITH (all my 80s birthed people will agree!) Just hearing the NBA on NBC jingle still puts a smile on my face til this day! So when Jordan or Nike rereleases pairs of shoes from that era, they are a must cop for me!

My question is.... all you current collectors who are in high school or younger, what is your intrigue for all these retro shoes coming out? There is no way you can look at a pair of Jordans coming out and say, "oh man, I remember when he wore those" or "I used to have a pair of those". Why not live "in the now" and get the shoes that your current favorite players are wearing? (Lebrons and Kobes for example)

Just wondering what you young guys thought about this notion, cause I often ask my students the same question and I usually get a confident shrug or a confused look
smile.gif

keep it positive fam

^^its crazy but you feel the exact way i feel...I'm 27 and i remember the NBA on NBC John Tesh produced jingle, not being able to walk in Footlocker andbuying the newest Jordan, etc. ...i try to figure out why young'ns buy retro Jordans now too...i don't hate but i just don't see why they buy thekicks because i buy em cuz i remember Jordan wearing them and i couldn't get em in elementary, middle and part of high school...it was definitely a statussymbol that said i know these kicks are ill and i put the in the effort to get em (waking up stupid early or cutting school to get em)...good post btw...

actually, i think most "regular" people are into those new releases.... i know my youngest brother who's now in college buys lebron/kobe typesneakers (don't ask me what cuz i got no clue)..... he knows about the retro J's but they don't appeal to him..... he's not a"sneakerhead" BTW.... he;s just a regular dude, just like i was a regular dude back in the day.... we all were......

I guess I am a little older than you targeted, but I'm 21 and was a huge fan during the last 3 peat the Bulls had. I am familiar with the XI-XIV because hewore them during that time and because of the Space Jam movie which I owned as a kid, and all the Air Jordans after that time period. But I was never reallyaround for the first 10 Air Jordans. But after becoming a fan in about 3rd grade I would always watch MJs older games when they were on and grew a little morefamiliar with the shoes he had on in the past. I knew that I wanted to collect the shoes but never thought they were worth while to spend $125 on a shoe Iwould grow out of... I did have some OG XIVs in 5th grade as a gift. But once I stopped growing about 2 years back I began collecting the sneakers I had alwayswanted, including Jordans a little before my time. I would consider "my generation" of players to be all the guys that came out of that '96 draftclass because thats when I really focused in on basketball, so Kobe who I have grown to hate but was exciting as a young player, and Iverson who I wore most ofhis kicks to play ball in because they were cheap and he was one of my favorite players. But despite all that I would say my favorite shoe is my Carmine 6s...I was 4 when those came out, but feel like I am a big enough Jordan fan that I can look back in time and still enjoy them... just my thoughts.

im 19 and i can remember seeing mj playing on the wizards and vaguely on the bulls. i allways have bought jordans because i wanted to be like mike. i thoughthis shoes would make me play like him. i wear them casualy becasue the style of the 1-13 is unmatched by any shoe out there with pennys,dunks, and air forceones falling in behind. i may not have been alive to appreciate all of his accomplishments, but i still appreciate them as much as anyone that was alive atthat time.

i'm 16 now and when i was really little i grew up watching mike and i LOVED him (especially in space jam) so my dad got me his sneakers i had my first pairwhen i was 5 (playoff 13s). i think it started with my dad and now i have just taken it to a whole new level than he would have even thought.
any time mike is on espn classic i watch just to remember how incredible he was

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this forum talks more about "dont do this", "why do you do this?", who cares where is the shoe discussion?

Originally Posted by micheal623

The young guys just don't have memories that we have with them.
thats so true

watched the bulls in the jordan era plus the wizards
smokin.gif

i also remember when i was to young to work and buy my own sneakers, i just had to begg my mother all the time , got some jordans on x mas day great feelingBTW
glasses.gif

plus the 1st day of school i got some jordans, pennys, barkelys, etc
my mom telling me not to rock my sneakers after school so i wont dog them up playing ball in the school park.
pimp.gif

I'm gonna chime in here and agree with a few of the comments. I'm 29 years old, from chicago, and was a crazed maniac of a bulls and even more so,Jordan fan when i was younger.

why do I wear Air Jordans today? 45% of it is nostalgia of me having the shoe when i was younger. 45% is me just having a shoe fetish, and loving shoes. thedesign on the AJ 1-12 are just iconic. And 10% of it being anything related to Jordan.

Yeah i think he's the best Ball player in history, but i'm too old to give a crap about that anymore. Its not like he even wears AJ's to chill in.

If you like the shoe, buy it. Doesnt matter what the reason is.

I'm 16 and i've been collecting about two years now...
i collect because i believe MJ is the greatest athlete to ever live and i want
to be a part of anything associated with him. And no, i didn't get to see him growing
up like many of you older heads but guess what? i live in Utah and although i was really young
i still remember being in the the Delta Center when he hit that "last shot" against the Jazz. And i was
also there when he dropped 38 in what is now known as the "Sick Game"... So even though i was only 4 or 5 years
old, those games are 2 most memorable games in his whole career... And i was there for them. So don't try to tell me
i don't have the memories you do...Ever since then Jordan represented something more to me than
just a basketball player. He was the greatest of all time and i wanted to be a part of it.

I also collect because i love the shoes. I think the design is great and i understand the significance of each pair.
I can appreciate a good product when i see one and that's why i've been going after OG's and older retros. I think fusions
are a disgrace to the Brand, as are most ".5" hybrids... i collect older stuff because i understand that the quality is much better
and that it carries sentimental value from the time period.

Im a young sneakerhead and the reason i collect retros and og's jordans is because i juss like them better then the stuff comeing out now. theres nothingwrong with that imo

I understand exactly what you are saying, rayray. I'm 35 years old and I work in a high school. I wear my Jordans to work and the kids all love to see whatI'm wearing each day. They all say they want my shoes, but for a completely different reason than I wanted Jordans growing up. They just know that they arepopular and that's it. They know the numbers of the retros, but have no idea the history behind them.

My own personal history with Air Jordans is... I was 12 years old when I got my first pair of Jordans, which were the black/red AJKO I's, I did my firstdunk wearing the OG white/cement III's, I won my first dunk contest wearing the OG black/red IV's, I got my first scholarship offer after a scout sawme play in a tournament while I was wearing the OG white/black/red V's... etc, etc. It feels like Jordans have been a part of my entire life.

Now... the reason I became obsessed with Air Jordans is because of MJ himself. I was 11 years old when MJ entered the NBA. Perfect age... I got to see his andappreciate his entire career. I watched him explode into the league, I watched him break records, I watched him win 2 dunk contests, win MVPs, I watched himstruggle year after year against the Pistons and was overjoyed when he and the Bulls finally beat them and went on to beat Magic and the Lakers for his firstchampionship. I witnessed the entire first 3-peat, then cried when he retired the first time. I was overjoyed again when he came out of retirement andwitnessed the entire second 3-peat, then cried again when he retired a second time... then I cried when he played with the Wizards LOL. Basically, I wantedJordans because of what I saw MJ do in those Jordans.

Long story short, I have a personal history with these shoes, and when I ask kids about why they like the shoes, I get the same answer as you, rayray... an"I don't know". Some of them have never even seen MJ play, not even on video or DVD... which really bugs me when they try to tell me that Kobe isbetter than MJ and they haven't so much as watch clips of MJ on YouTube LOL.

Anyway, it seems like there are fewer and fewer collectors who have their own personal story as to why they collect Jordans. Which is only normal, I guess, asthe sneaker heads become younger and younger and the older heads get older and older, you can't expect every kid to have a personal experience related toMJ because MJ has not played in years. It just makes me sad that it seems that side of Jordan collecting, the collecting because of the personal history thecollector has with the shoe is slowly (or maybe quickly) fading away.

maybe because some of us don't like the new styles? i was born in 92 so i really didn't get to enjoy any of the great 90's shoes until now. i lovethe 90's styles and i really don't like any of the newer models.

just because you were around when this stuff came out and can remember it and what not doesn't mean younger people can't enjoy it when it comes backaround.

Originally Posted by micheal623

Of course they don't. More and more collectors didn't even see Jordan play.

Originally Posted by Zachariaahh

i don't see why it matters why young kids purchase the shoes they do, all you old sneakerheads think your some level above everyone just because you saw michael play a hell of a lot more then we did or something. Yet i guarantee i know a whole lot more about the man off the top of my head then half of you all do. Then you all mention that we don't even purchase our shoes just because of your jealousy that your mommy and daddy couldn't. I myself own 27 pairs at the age of 17 ranging from og's to current releases and i can say that i've purchased 23 of those pairs.. in the long run all you old farts needed just grow up and start wearing new balances like everyone else your age instead of telling us to live in the now, aren't you all living in the past?
this is how you make your debut on nt. i didn't think ray ray's question was meant as an insult, but instead as an attempt to gaininsight into a young shoe-heads psyche. i remember reading that he's a teacher so contrary to your belief, he probably is genuinely interested.

relax zachariaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, there's a number of fusions coming out this month that you can spend your paper route money on. now that'san insult!

I dont see why it matters? If you're old why are you worried about what younger people are buying? You would think with your "knowledge" of theshoe game you would know by now to worry about whats on YOUR feet rather then people younger than you. If it really makes you that upset, then leave the shoegame. Quit crying about it, its a little something called FREEDOM OF CHOICE, does that mean younger people can't watch older movies too? Buy older cars?Well I guess in turn that would mean you can't buy any newer shoes, watch new movies, or buy new cars, correct? Maybe its a jealousy thing because you lookstupid with all your shoes as you get older and we don't? Maybe you don't get attention for your shoes anymore like younger people do? You don'town any rights to Jordans to even make a statement about younger people buying them, as a matter of fact if it wasnt for younger people buying them (rather itbe nice retros or ******ed fusions) you think JB would still be around? So what if people like older shoes, its a COLLECTOR thing. For someone old you havesome insecurity issues if you are that worried about people buying older shoes. Maybe you should move on?

Originally Posted by JordanHead21

I dont see why it matters? If you're old why are you worried about what younger people are buying? You would think with your "knowledge" of the shoe game you would know by now to worry about whats on YOUR feet rather then people younger than you. If it really makes you that upset, then leave the shoe game. Quit crying about it, its a little something called FREEDOM OF CHOICE, does that mean younger people can't watch older movies too? Buy older cars? Well I guess in turn that would mean you can't buy any newer shoes, watch new movies, or buy new cars, correct? Maybe its a jealousy thing because you look stupid with all your shoes as you get older and we don't? Maybe you don't get attention for your shoes anymore like younger people do? You don't own any rights to Jordans to even make a statement about younger people buying them, as a matter of fact if it wasnt for younger people buying them (rather it be nice retros or ******ed fusions) you think JB would still be around? So what if people like older shoes, its a COLLECTOR thing. For someone old you have some insecurity issues if you are that worried about people buying older shoes. Maybe you should move on?

true. thats like saying a young kid who collects coins can only collect the new quarters. if your a collector, your a COLLECTOR. And I'm not sticking upfor "kids" or whatever the OP called them, I'm 22 so i'm still a kid myself.

i think this is one of the better threads i have seen in a long time to be honest....well the 2 months i have been here haha

micheal623 wrote:

Yeah,but it's not their fault. Kinda funny dude said he was born the year the V's were released. That's a good thread idea right there. I think theop is saying something to the effect of, if you was able to see MJ play,you would have the memories of the shoes when he did something special. Now i was a diehard Barkley fan growing up,but in the 87 dunk contest when MJ kissed the rim all i saw was the 2's. Now guess which is my favorite Jordan. Btw i might beten years older than the op.Lol.
roll.gif

laugh.gif
This is classic! Most of you weren't even born when I had my firstpair. My cousin was
jacking 3s from footlocker when your parents were in high school.

Back
Top Bottom