Why don't young "shoe-heads" live in the "now" rather than chasing retroes??

u experience greatness on paper and in person, im ur age and remember all jays from 5 on up. but good looking all the young heads wanting classics

Originally Posted by Trav T

Originally Posted by no vert

Trav T wrote:
To the OP: How about you stop acting selfish and stop this notion that only old heads deserve to rock Jordans. Why don't you go rock some Pumas and Shell toes if it's really about what was out when you were young and not what is the best design. This is a really stupid argument that you have brought up.

Take your time and manifest what he was saying. Stop getting so defensive. He said what is your attraction to J's.
If you read his post, he is pretty much implying that these kids shouldn't be wearing Jordans because they are too young to remember when they were released.
I say that if these kids can recognize what is a great shoe design and color way, then they should be able to rock them. What, should I not be into Michael Jackson's early music because I can't say "Oh, I remember how old I was when this song came out."? People like Jordans because retro designs are much better than the generic crap that is being made right now.

Trav... You are WAY off. Did you really read the entire post? I suggest you re-read the post again. If you do, you will realize that rayray is asking aquestion to the younger sneaker heads, NOT saying that they don't deserve anything. I suggest you re-read it. This thread was not supposed to be an"us against them" thread, it was just supposed to start a good discussion.

Directly from original post:

"My question is.... all you current collectors who are in high school or younger, what is your intrigue for all these retro shoescoming out? There is no way you can look at a pair of Jordans coming out and say, "oh man, I remember when he wore those" or "I used tohave a pair of those". Why not live "in the now" and get the shoes that your current favorite players are wearing? (Lebrons and Kobes forexample)
Just wondering what you young guys thought about this notion, cause I often ask my students the same question and I usually get a confident shrug ora confused look
smile.gif
"

keep it positive fam"
It amazes me how some of you have gotten so far off base of what the original post intended. You hear whatyou want to hear, I guess. I bet half of you didn't even read past the thread title...

IT'S THE SHOES!!!!!

"You need to appreciate Jordan to own these shoes. You have no sense of connection whatsoever to this sneaker, therefore ****"

NO YOU DON'T!! It's the design that attracts me and several other true shoe collectors.

The elephant print, the clear soles, the air bubbles, the reflective tongue, the back tabs, the patent leather, etc.

It's sort of like rap listeners today. What? We can't listen to early 90's rap cause that's not when we were born? IF you were such a fan, thenwhy are you restricting it from spreading to an entire new generation? You guys are soo selfish i swear
laugh.gif

all i know is this... when i was a kid, there was no "retro", whatever came out was groundbreaking..... wearing pumas or adidas was the last thing onmy mind....those shoes were "early 80's" and no way was i gonna wear early 80's fashion when Nike Air Jordan was coming out with heat likethe IIIs, IVs, Vs, VIs, etc..... which leads me to wonder like the OP, what makes "kids" these days like fashion from years past... has Nike/.Jordanfallen off so badly with their styles that people have to buy styles from 15-20 years ago? personally i think Nike has fallen off but then i;m an old man.....i don;t "get" the styles of nowadays.....

My man are you always this stupid or is today a special occasion?
Originally Posted by theblprnt

the are rocking something that was before their time because they like how it looks.
That's all you had to say. Instead you had to show all of NT how ignorant you really are.

you idiot
Very classy & original.

if i bought a 1967 mustang tomorrow would you get mad and say why did i buy a car that was before my time?
Let me guess your parents were related cause you honestly can't be this stupid. No on here is "mad"except you. Also what you do withyour time & parents money is exclusively up too you. I, like the OP is just interested in the younger sneaker headz thought process.

Y?

I don't think most people in this thread understand OP's point.

To start, I'm 27. My first pair of Jordans were the white 8's i got for back-to-school in 6th grade (from the outlets, got them a few months before the9's came out).

What the OP is trying to get at, is that the "mature" (24/5 and over crowd) is that the shoes resonate with us because we saw them live, first hand,and have original memories with them. Personally, I was never a Jordan fan(still not), but I was into his shoes because that's what my older cousins andcool kids at school were rocking, and because jordan's were a status symbol. Once upon a time, you could be the bummiest dude, but if you had the newestjordan's, you were doing it.

OP is trying to say what shoes from this generation are going to evoke the same kind of emotion that jordan's did a decade before? And thats why I feel badfor a lot of 21 and under collectors. Not too many classic designs have been released over the last 7-8 years. A lot of solid shoes, but nothing that has thatrecognition as being top of line. Kids nowadays growing up on re-re-retro's of shoes that came out decades before. Where are the new shoes that the presentyounger generation will evoke those same feelings in 20 years. I don't really see them.

^Huarache 2k4's, Hyperdunk, Kobe IV, Lebron's line, Air Yeezy (for the hypebeasts like myself smh), Air Jordan XX, Air Jordan XX3, Iversons, Tai chi,Supras, Vans

Originally Posted by rhy650

My man are you always this stupid or is today a special occasion?

the are rocking something that was before their time because they like how it looks.
That's all you had to say. Instead you had to show all of NT how ignorant you really are.

you idiot
Very classy & original.

if i bought a 1967 mustang tomorrow would you get mad and say why did i buy a car that was before my time?
Let me guess your parents were related cause you honestly can't be this stupid. No on here is "mad"except you. Also what you do with your time & parents money is exclusively up too you. I, like the OP is just interested in the younger sneaker headz thought process.

Y?

why would you assume that its my parents money? i'm just curious and i'm not going to bother defending or arguing, just wondering.

17 years old and Around the time I fell in love with Jays, I was just in 2nd grade. My older cousins had every pair and I just made it my goal 2 collect. Firstpair I remember owning were the Blk/Red XVI's.. Every since then I started getting the re-releases.

Well I'm turning 20 this October so Im not the oldest jordan head around, but I started watching bulls games back in the day. Since 95 I began watchin MJwith the bulls, my bro was a huge fan of basketball and I would do alot of what my older bro did, but when I watched a bulls game with him as a kid and saw MJplay I was sold, all I wanted to do was be like Mike. He was my hero, the reason why I started playing basketball. My first pair of kicks were OGWhite/Black-Red 13s from He Got game, I had em in grade 3 in 97. I remember my mom bought me a red bulls Jordan jersey, a kids champion one, I still got it,wish MJ could sign it, man hes the greatest. Know im not the oldest jordan head but I do have memories from my childhood of MJ, he was my hero just he like wasto many kids in the 90s

im 20 and i was a huge fan of MJ and the bulls and had the shoes growing up. OG Concords, Space Jams, white black 9s and black red 12s. and i lost interest injordans after he retired and just back in the game around 06.

Do we have to have a history with a brand to like a shoe? Yeah, yeah, yeah, "I remember MJ playing in these in this game"

"I remember him doing whatever with these on" Shut up, no one cares.

It's really a generalization to say that the younger heads only like Jordans because of the "hype". Excuse me, I didn't know it wasimpossible for me
to like a shoe because of the design.
Like I've stated before, I don't care how much hate the 6 rings get, or the 60+, I will cop them regardless if I like the way they look. That's whyI have august 15th pegged.
You all need a reality check, not everyone is down with the hype.

No one cares how much Jordan facts you can spit out, the point is at the end of the day it's a damn shoe and you either like them or you don't.

Originally Posted by MySolesSoar

I don't care how much hate the 6 rings get, or the 60+, I will cop them regardless if I like the way they look. That's why I have august 15th pegged.
6rings and 60+ are alright you mean your gonna pay 150+ for some frankinstein shoe.

I buy what i like and thats why i stick to retros because i remember when MJ rock that sig on the court and fell in love with shoe.

Originally Posted by 23collector1985

Trav T wrote:
To the OP: How about you stop acting selfish and stop this notion that only old heads deserve to rock Jordans. Why don't you go rock some Pumas and Shell toes if it's really about what was out when you were young and not what is the best design. This is a really stupid argument that you have brought up.

Take your time and manifest what he was saying. Stop getting so defensive. He said what is your attraction to J's.
If you read his post, he is pretty much implying that these kids shouldn't be wearing Jordans because they are too young to remember when they were released.
I say that if these kids can recognize what is a great shoe design and color way, then they should be able to rock them. What, should I not be into Michael Jackson's early music because I can't say "Oh, I remember how old I was when this song came out."? People like Jordans because retro designs are much better than the generic crap that is being made right now.

Trav... You are WAY off. Did you really read the entire post? I suggest you re-read the post again. If you do, you will realize that rayray is asking a question to the younger sneaker heads, NOT saying that they don't deserve anything. I suggest you re-read it. This thread was not supposed to be an "us against them" thread, it was just supposed to start a good discussion.

"My question is.... all you current collectors who are in high school or younger, what is your intrigue for all these retro shoes coming out? There is no way you can look at a pair of Jordans coming out and say, "oh man, I remember when he wore those" or "I used to have a pair of those". Why not live "in the now" and get the shoes that your current favorite players are wearing? (Lebrons and Kobes for example)
Just wondering what you young guys thought about this notion, cause I often ask my students the same question and I usually get a confident shrug or a confused look
smile.gif
"

keep it positive fam"
It amazes me how some of you have gotten so far off base of what the original post intended. You hear what you want to hear, I guess. I bet half of you didn't even read past the thread title...

Uh, no. I think I understood his post pretty clearly. I don't know why it's so hard for the OP to understand that no one likes crappyLeBron's or Kobe's. They are just horrible looking shoes that are made for performance.

Originally Posted by MySolesSoar

Do we have to have a history with a brand to like a shoe? Yeah, yeah, yeah, "I remember MJ playing in these in this game"

"I remember him doing whatever with these on" Shut up, no one cares.

It's really a generalization to say that the younger heads only like Jordans because of the "hype". Excuse me, I didn't know it was impossible for me
to like a shoe because of the design.
Like I've stated before, I don't care how much hate the 6 rings get, or the 60+, I will cop them regardless if I like the way they look. That's why I have august 15th pegged.

No one cares how much Jordan facts you can spit out, the point is at the end of the day it's a damn shoe and you either like them or you don't.
Another one who has completely missed the point of this thread...

Once again... all the original post is ASKING (not telling) is why younger heads are into Jordans. Older collectors have a history with the shoes, and he isjust curious what makes you younger kids collect them. NO ONE is saying you shouldn't buy them because you are younger and don't have a history withthem... he is just asking why some of you collect... that's it. This thread was not meant to put down younger collectors, it was just to pick your brainsand find out what makes you like shoes that were popular 20+ years ago.

Trav T wrote:

Trav... You are WAY off. Did you really read the entire post? I suggest you re-read the post again. If you do, you will realize that rayray is asking a question to the younger sneaker heads, NOT saying that they don't deserve anything. I suggest you re-read it. This thread was not supposed to be an "us against them" thread, it was just supposed to start a good discussion.

"My question is.... all you current collectors who are in high school or younger, what is your intrigue for all these retro shoes coming out? There is no way you can look at a pair of Jordans coming out and say, "oh man, I remember when he wore those" or "I used to have a pair of those". Why not live "in the now" and get the shoes that your current favorite players are wearing? (Lebrons and Kobes for example)
Just wondering what you young guys thought about this notion, cause I often ask my students the same question and I usually get a confident shrug or a confused look
smile.gif
"

keep it positive fam"
It amazes me how some of you have gotten so far off base of what the original post intended. You hear what you want to hear, I guess. I bet half of you didn't even read past the thread title...
Uh, no. I think I understood his post pretty clearly. I don't know why it's so hard for the OP to understand that no one likes crappy LeBron's or Kobe's. They are just horrible looking shoes that are made for performance.

Thanks for continuing to be stubborn and misunderstanding the OP. If you had understood the OP, you would not have answered the way you did.

Once again, he is just ASKING what draws you to Jordans. We older collectors relate certain models to certain memories we have of the shoes, either personalmemories or memories of something we saw MJ doing in the shoes. That's why we collect. The OP is just ASKING what makes you guys collect. If it'sjust the way they look, fine. If it's because you older brother, or father or uncle wore Jordans, fine. This thread IS NOT about bashing youngercollectors/sneakerheads... stop trying to make it about that.

Originally Posted by luis og13s

Well I'm turning 20 this October so Im not the oldest jordan head around, but I started watching bulls games back in the day. Since 95 I began watchin MJ with the bulls, my bro was a huge fan of basketball and I would do alot of what my older bro did, but when I watched a bulls game with him as a kid and saw MJ play I was sold, all I wanted to do was be like Mike. He was my hero, the reason why I started playing basketball. My first pair of kicks were OG White/Black-Red 13s from He Got game, I had em in grade 3 in 97. I remember my mom bought me a red bulls Jordan jersey, a kids champion one, I still got it, wish MJ could sign it, man hes the greatest. Know im not the oldest jordan head but I do have memories from my childhood of MJ, he was my hero just he like was to many kids in the 90s
i'm on that same boat but i'm already 20 lol i remember watching game 6 when MJ hit that game-winning shot and screaming in my parentsroom. although i was young, i remember tearing up when they were talking about MJ retiring during the interviews after the game. I remember Jordan sayingthat he'd return if Phil, Scottie, and Dennis came back but he retired. He's the greatest and that's why i get his shoes. They remind me of thetimes when MJ was great and as of now, no one at this time and age can change that feeling that MJ instilled in me.

the reason i collect jordans and vintage nikes is because even thought i was born in '91 ive seen most of jordan's games....my bro has always been afan of mike and has always had a passion for kicks, even though we were poor at the time.now that im older, have a job, and know the story behind every shoe itjust makes me happy when i get a pair.even though i didnt live through those times i feel the same way everyone that grew up watching those basketball gamesfelt and i dont just collect air jordans, i collect vintage nike's......

To me it was just the excitement of getting a pair of J's period. Skipping school to get J's that came out on Wednesday's, camping out at 4am justto make sure we got a pair when they opened the doors at 6. If I didn't get em that morning I didn't even want em anymore.

Those were the days.....

man most you guys sound like a bunch of babies. quit whining and arguing over some minor bs.

i see where OP is coming from and that's how it is for me when a pair of penny's or jordan's come out that i had back in the day. i rememberwearing the flight 95s on the court when i was in elementary and wearing black & red 12s when i was balin' in junior high so of course i feel a littlecloser to my shoes.

some people are just buying them because of the hype but some young cats i'm sure are buying them because they are visually appealing.

so who cares....
eyes.gif

Well I'm 20 now and Ill say what draws me to them is sentimental value. I know I know you guys will say "you're too young to know" blah blahbut my very first pair of shoes were jordans when I was born in 89. Ever since then I had EVERY release up until about freshman/sophomore year in high school.Im getting back into it because I will not lie I have an addiction to shoes (i think we all do) and I want to see what all I missed out on. I think MJ is thegreatest athlete EVER and owning his shoes (actual ones not junk re retros/frankensteins) are like owning a piece of history. The shoes themselves are justamazing, the quality (not now) is amazing and the appearance is just groundbreaking. I remember having the XI's when I was about 6/7 and being so happywith them but I tore them to shreads. I think the main reason is because I have loved his shoes since I was born and its an addiction to keep getting more. Iwill not lie, I like a few of the newer ones and even got a pair (toro bravo V's 3m) but they still dont compare to the older ones. The feeling you getwhen you find a steal and get it in the mail is awesome and what do you get from just running to the store and buying some? Nothing. So in closing I guess Ilike them because:

1. I grew up with them (sentimental value)
2. Always been my favorite shoe
3. I have a shoe addiction (as we all do)
4. Searching for them is fun and the feeling you get after finding what you've been looking for is indescribable
5. Honestly cant say I like too many other shoes besides jordans and dunks (not sb's)

Why can't we all just enjoy a good pair of Jordan's. It's like telling some ppl. not to wear Converse cuz they weren't around when Chuck Taylorwore them. For the older Jordan collectors are you not gonna buy your kids Jordans or share with them just cuz they weren't around during his time ?

Trav T wrote:

smile.gif
"

keep it positive fam"
Uh, no. I think I understood his post pretty clearly. I don't know why it's so hard for the OP to understand that no one likes crappy LeBron's or Kobe's. They are just horrible looking shoes that are made for performance.

Thanks for continuing to be stubborn and misunderstanding the OP. If you had understood the OP, you would not have answered the way you did.

Once again, he is just ASKING what draws you to Jordans. We older collectors relate certain models to certain memories we have of the shoes, either personal memories or memories of something we saw MJ doing in the shoes. That's why we collect. The OP is just ASKING what makes you guys collect. If it's just the way they look, fine. If it's because you older brother, or father or uncle wore Jordans, fine. This thread IS NOT about bashing younger collectors/sneakerheads... stop trying to make it about that.

Once again, you are not getting me. The OP pretty much said that the young kids should "live in the now" and stop "chasing"retroes. I mean, how could you miss that part?

is just like the youngins wearing 70's and 80's clothes.
It's just a fad for them.
You kiddies have no idea what Jordan is about.

I'll be 26 next Monday and have been in Jordans since 2nd grade. First pair was the white/black/red V's (back when kids sizes were Sky Jordans haha).After that I was hooked. Back in those days, you really could break necks if you had the new Jordans. All my cousins and friends had em as well. It's hardto put into words the impact Jordan had on people in those times. People who never even watched basketball was tuning in to watch him and the Bulls. I remembermy auntie used to call into work sick sometimes to catch a game. Crazy. I love the NBA, but The late 80's and 90's were some of their best years.Wearing Jordans during that time was all about the admiration/ imitation of MJ (Like Mike, if I could be like Mike hahaha) and a symbol of status. As a kid itwas hard to keep up with all the Jordan releases. Back then I had to be extra choosey with what sneakers I got. It's not like my folks would get me a newpair every few weeks. Plus, there were other shoes that caught my eye. Penny's, Barkley's, Larry Johnson's, Huarache's, Iverson's, BoJackson's. Just to name a few. Now, I just cop shoes I used to have or shoes I always wanted and couldn't get. I've always felt like these newershoes like Lebron's or Kobe's are more for hooping. Jordans and a lot of other retros are more like kicking it shoes (can be worn with just aboutanything). I think history repeats it's self, so that's why a lot of kids are into a lot of things from the 80's and early 90's. I rememberwhen I was younger and how my parents would tell me that a lot of the fashion from 10-15 years ago had a 70's feel. So, time is just taking its course.Maybe in 5 years somebody to bring back Fubu jerseys hahaha. At the end of the day, get what you like and enjoy your shoes.

Back
Top Bottom