⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLS is so terrible. I feel like no one here actually enjoys it; people just force themselves to sit through players losing possession every 5 seconds so that they can say "I'm a real fan; I love the sport and will support my country's league no matter who is playing". It's ok, no one will judge you if you don't like it

I wouldn't mind the lack of talent if MLS teams actually had discipline about passing, defending, etc. Every match I've tried to watch is just chaos from non stop passes to the other team, like a glorified late afternoon game at the park. There might be a couple clubs here and there that are OK , but the overall league is painful to watch.
LAFC has potential... they were playing some decent footy on saturday

Snow day today .. gonna catch this Man U game. No shots but I Could use a nap so hopefully can kill two birds with one stone :lol:

MLS is so terrible. I feel like no one here actually enjoys it; people just force themselves to sit through players losing possession every 5 seconds so that they can say "I'm a real fan; I love the sport and will support my country's league no matter who is playing". It's ok, no one will judge you if you don't like it

I wouldn't mind the lack of talent if MLS teams actually had discipline about passing, defending, etc. Every match I've tried to watch is just chaos from non stop passes to the other team, like a glorified late afternoon game at the park. There might be a couple clubs here and there that are OK , but the overall league is painful to watch.
C'mon, man. There's a clear difference between a Toronto, Atlanta, 2017 Portland, and a Colorado, Minnesota, San Jose, 2018 Portland level teams. Not all teams in the best leagues in the world look composed and classy out there. Can't write off the whole league because the best talent (player- and coach-wise) are in Europe and South America. Just not fair, plus it won't help the MLS get better if it's instantly written off.

God the Timbers are terrible this year tho :smh:

C'mon, man. There's a clear difference between a Toronto, Atlanta, 2017 Portland, and a Colorado, Minnesota, San Jose, 2018 Portland level teams. Not all teams in the best leagues in the world look composed and classy out there. Can't write off the whole league because the best talent (player- and coach-wise) are in Europe and South America. Just not fair, plus it won't help the MLS get better if it's instantly written off.

God the Timbers are terrible this year tho :smh:

The Timbers won't get relegated so you gucci my g :pimp:

giphy.gif

MLS with its American-style MLS Cup playoffs and lack of relegation is definitely a lacking league. It's our domestic league so I'll continue to be a supporter but truthfully there's very few matches that I'll sit and watch completely.

In order to become a top 5 league one day, I hope MLS considers: restructuring their salary cap/budget (or just get rid of it), end their dumb kit contract with Adidas (really, giving one brand the contract for the whole damn league?), and their match scheduling (get it together, International matches will always be more important in this sport).

MLS with its American-style MLS Cup playoffs and lack of relegation is definitely a lacking league. It's our domestic league so I'll continue to be a supporter but truthfully there's very few matches that I'll sit and watch completely.

In order to become a top 5 league one day, I hope MLS considers: restructuring their salary cap/budget (or just get rid of it), end their dumb kit contract with Adidas (really, giving one brand the contract for the whole damn league?), and their match scheduling (get it together, International matches will always be more important in this sport).

I'd also open the pyramid so we can have proper tiers from division 1 to the lowest division. I want teams like @rck3sactown's Sacramento Republic to have a chance to earn their way into MLS instead of paying $150 M's for an entry fee. Basically there needs to be some incentive if you happen to support a club that is not in the MLS because there isnt any

the MLS is bad but not as cringe worthy as many of you are making it out to be.

the euro leagues everyone watches have been around for generations and the MLS is still in its infancy. perspective is everything.

some people just like to watch footy in any form. they enjoy the game and aren't so critical.

I am not a huge fan of the MLS as I support tottenham more than any other club from any other sport but I have been to a few games here and there in San Jose and Denver when spurs came to town and it is enjoyable to be at the games. the atmosphere is great. just my two cents though.

I'd also open the pyramid so we can have proper tiers from division 1 to the lowest division. I want teams like @rck3sactown's Sacramento Republic to have a chance to earn their way into MLS instead of paying $150 M's for an entry fee. Basically there needs to be some incentive if you happen to support a club that is not in the MLS because there isnt any

Yup, you're totally right. More people will care more about the league overall if their local club has a chance to break in and compete at the highest domestic level, without being limited financially.

I'm also thinking about local or regional talent discovery and production as well. More support = more finances for the smaller clubs, who then can develop legitimate academies. The LA Galaxy have supposedly poured millions the past decade or so and who's the last academy player that they've had playing for them or in Europe? I bet teams like Sac Republic, or even a rural area in California like Fresno (now with Fresno FC), can do just as good of a job discovering/grooming players if they had even a quarter of some of these MLS teams' budgets.

Overall MLS' problem ties directly with USSF's problem, and most American supporters already know how that mess is. MLS is not a bad product, it's just not a very good one.

I don't expect MLS to be as good as the PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, or Ligue 1, ever.

I'd be content if MLS was as good as the Eredivisie or Primeira Liga

Or at least good enough to win CONCACAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom