12 Years A Slave (Film) - Starring Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Chiwetel Ejiofor - 10/18/13

Statement doesn't even make sense.
laugh.gif

Hmmm. seems slave films are in right now.. Lincoln, Django, now 12 years..

Off topic but I'm here wondering, do Hispanics, and Indians get love in Hollywood? What are some popular movies depicting their History in the US..

Selena, and Pocahontas is all I can think of.

Dances With Wolves was probably the last major film depicting Native Americans as the major sole plot / actors unless you include Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and Into the West.

If the material is interesting then sure...but many of the independent films that I've seen are just like the Tyler Perry films I try to avoid.

If you can provide information on some great independent black films that would be cool...

But again, independent black films fall under the radar the same way most straight to video films do. 

I can respect that.....and yeah of course there are indie films that are just like the Tyler Perry films that I hate. Usually like you said you will see these straight to DVD/Blu-Ray or on Netflix.

A good site to check for Indie black films with substance is Indiewire.com

Some recommended good black directed films with a predominantly black cast over the past few years for you to check out (some of these are actually on Netflix):

Pariah (2011)
Night Catches Us (2010) (Anthony Mackie, Kerry Washington)
Mooz-lum (2011) (Nia Long, Danny Glover)
LUV (2012) (Dennis Haybert, Common)
Red Hook Summer (2012)
Medicine For Melancholy (2008)
I Will Follow (2011)
Middle of Nowhere (2012) - I have yet to see this but this was directed by Ave Duvernay same lady who directed "I Will Follow" which was dope and it won the Directing Award for U.S. Dramatic Film at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.
Fruitvale Station (2013) - I will be supporting this soon.
An Oversimplification of Her Beauty (2013) -waiting for this to be released.

Most of these films I mentioned have received critically acclaim at major independent film festivals. Definitely check them out man! Glad to see others don't want to settle for the crap TP constantly puts out.

Medicine for Melancholy was AMAZING.

That's what I think of when I think of Black film.

BTW, 42 just came out on Blu Ray. I dunno if you guys count that as a recent movie about Blacks being something other than slaves. Since, you know, apparently most of today's films about Black history are slave movies.

How about we shouldn't forget the brave Africans who fought and died for their freedom, built the country, innovated technology, found new lands and gave America style and new forms of art?

Nah, that would be boring and not uplifting at all. Let's focus on slavery and the white man saving Africans.

mean.gif
good looking flatbush and knowledge 

Last edited:
October 18th is the new release date. Thanks to Meth for editing that on the thread title.

Out of your list I was really messing with these: Mooz-lum was the best to me..

Red Hook Summer (2012)

Haven't seen these two, but I'm getting them...
I Will Follow (2011)

Out of your list I was really messing with these: Mooz-lum was the best to me..

Red Hook Summer (2012)

Haven't seen these two, but I'm getting them...

I Will Follow (2011)

I really liked Mooz-lum when I first saw the trailer and I was pissed it only had a limited release and I missed it showing at the one theater in NYC that it was at. Either way I had to wait a few months until it was on Netflix but it was worth the wait. Great movie and a great story!

The 2 you are going to check out are dope as well. Glad to see other supporting good films! The films are out there people....just gotta be a little bit more active in looking for them.

On another note, I think Fruitvale Station is a really important movie to support because although it has gotten great reviews I think if it is supported well when it hits more theaters in less than 2 weeks it could be a good sign to Hollywood that people want more diverse black films. Not the crap TP puts out.

Last edited:
I can respect that.....and yeah of course there are indie films that are just like the Tyler Perry films that I hate. Usually like you said you will see these straight to DVD/Blu-Ray or on Netflix.

A good site to check for Indie black films with substance is Indiewire.com

Some recommended good black directed films with a predominantly black cast over the past few years for you to check out (some of these are actually on Netflix):

Pariah (2011)
Red Hook Summer (2012)
I Will Follow (2011)
Middle of Nowhere (2012) - I have yet to see this but this was directed by Ave Duvernay same lady who directed "I Will Follow" which was dope and it won the Directing Award for U.S. Dramatic Film at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.
Fruitvale Station (2013) - I will be supporting this soon.
An Oversimplification of Her Beauty (2013) -waiting for this to be released.

Most of these films I mentioned have received critically acclaim at major independent film festivals. Definitely check them out man! Glad to see others don't want to settle for the crap TP constantly puts out.

Repped you for the Recommendations and the link because I haven't seen some of these.

Pariah, was an interesting twist. Def had a Precious undertone to it.
LUV, I liked. I enjoy Common as an actor more than a rapper.
Medicine For Melancholy, was short and sweet. The dialogue it opens up about interracial relationships vs intraracial relationships was nice.
I Will Follow, low-key didn't need to be a movie. I think they could've just kept it as a short story. It was nice for what it was though, but yeah.

I'm waiting to see Middle of Nowhere, too. I started reading the script and it was interesting along with the trailers.
I'm excited for Fruitvale as well. And so far it's been doing really well in theaters.
Red Hook Summer, I have in my instant que.

Last Fall is suppose to be a good film as well. It's about a football player who gets dropped from the team and has to start back over. I haven't seen it yet, but it stars Lance Cross or Gross--the dude from Tyler Perry's show, but it bares no relation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, old film but check out The Long Walk Home, it's on Netflix. When you get a chance and compare The Long Walk Home (starring Whoopie Goldberg) to The Help. It's night and day and I believe that's what 1984 is trying to get at.

To get back on track for the thread though, I was hesistant after seeing the title, but I saw the trailer and heard the origin of the story, so I'm game.

Someone should tell Danny Glover to get on Kickstarter or Indigo to start some type of crowdsourcing for his film. It worked for Zac Braff and the Veronique Mars chick.

Repped you for the Recommendations and the link because I haven't seen some of these.

Pariah, was an interesting twist. Def had a Precious undertone to it.
LUV, I liked. I enjoy Common as an actor more than a rapper.
Medicine For Melancholy, was short and sweet. The dialogue it opens up about interracial relationships vs intraracial relationships was nice.
I Will Follow, low-key didn't need to be a movie. I think they could've just kept it as a short story. It was nice for what it was though, but yeah.

I'm waiting to see Middle of Nowhere, too. I started reading the script and it was interesting along with the trailers.
I'm excited for Fruitvale as well. And so far it's been doing really well in theaters.
Red Hook Summer, I have in my instant que.

Last Fall is suppose to be a good film as well. It's about a football player who gets dropped from the team and has to start back over. I haven't seen it yet, but it stars Lance Cross or Gross--the dude from Tyler Perry's show, but it bares no relation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, old film but check out The Long Walk Home, it's on Netflix. When you get a chance and compare The Long Walk Home (starring Whoopie Goldberg) to The Help. It's night and day and I believe that's what 1984 is trying to get at.

To get back on track for the thread though, I was hesistant after seeing the title, but I saw the trailer and heard the origin of the story, so I'm game.

Someone should tell Danny Glover to get on Kickstarter or Indigo to start some type of crowdsourcing for his film. It worked for Zac Braff and the Veronique Mars chick.

Glad you appreciate the list and also good to see you have seen most of the movies listed. Thanks for your recommendations because I haven't seen "Last Fall" and I think Lance Gross is a talented actor. Also going to check out Long Walk Home as well.

Sidebar is there a black film thread here on NT?

I'm sure there isn't; would be a good idea, though.

Might have to start that up.

Regarding Red Hook Summer I saw it last summer and enjoyed it. It got mixed reviews and I know some people who saw it and didn't like it. I think its one of Spike's better films in awhile. There is a major plot twist and I liked the topic it covers that many don't want to talk about in the Black Community. I am being vague so I won't ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it but I really thought it was a solid film.

Spike Lee has launched a Kickstarter campaign to enlist the help of the public in funding a new film to follow his next feature-length film aka the newest hottest Spike Lee Joint. Lee dives into his first Kickstarter campaign with an ambitious goal of $1,250,000.00 – his zeal for the crowdfunding platform is fueled in-part by the successful efforts of other Hollywood producers, including Zach Braff‘s $3 million budget for a sequel to Garden State and Rob ThomasVeronica Mars movie project which raised $5 million – $3 million more than the original $2 million goal. While some people disagree with crowdfunding as a means of financing big budget productions or pretty much anything attached to celebrities, Spike Lee makes a very valid point about the nature of big business for creatives:
“The only way to ensure as an independent filmmaker that your vision gets onscreen, is when you bring the money to the table.”
His appeal to fans, friends and other interested parties arrives with an abundance of sincerity, cool perks and the requisite Public Enemy score as Spike vows to continue to fight the good fight. Steven Soderbergh has already pledged $10,000 to the campaign which has raised over $100,000. Check the footage below to get the full explanation from Spike Lee. Donate to the fundraising campaign for Spike Lee’s forthcoming film via Kickstarter.

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/spike-lee-launches-kickstarter-campaign-new-film-video.html

Another vid, 36 mins but well worth it... He talks about a meet up with Michael jackson, His favorite self produced movie, tyler perry, Malcolm X incident.. etc....

Last edited:
Holds a 97% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 29 reviews.

Watching this weekend.

Last edited:
Yep, the reviews have been stellar as expected.

Unfortunately, it's not opening near me this weekend.

lol @ dudes acting like slave movies are poppin up left and right.
laugh.gif

And did that dude really say there are no movies about the holocaust since Shindler's list. Damn near every movie about WW2 depicts the holocaust in some way.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom