12 Years A Slave (Film) - Starring Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Chiwetel Ejiofor - 10/18/13

:wow: yo im calling mad controversy if they start marketing it anything other than starting chiwetel ejiofor. cuz that would be str8 disrespect :smh:

2vkbvom.jpg

Ain't nobody going to see the movie for Ejiofor...

That's why it's starring Brad Pitt...

brad pitt was hardly in the trailer lol. he's not even the title character. thread title is misleading.

now show me a movie poster...if it doesn't headline ejifor, then

The movie is about an educated black man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery. Then used his knowledge of the law and connections the get himself legally freed.

No civilizing needed. Dude was already smarter and more worldly than any of the white people in the movie. He was very well spoken and could read and write better than the white people who were running the plantations.

If anything this movie isn't "we started as slaves" as much as it is "there were those of us who were successful and educated during the time of slavery, but we all had to recognize that we couldn't separate ourselves from 'those' blacks as much as we wished because there were still systems in play that kept us in fear of being treated the same no ,after our status in the community."

If you don't know the story of Solomon Northup, then I don't blame you for jumping to conclusions.

Hate to break it to y'all but slavery is a real thing that happened. Hollywood barely even acknowledges it. But when it does its somehow too often? Ok.

And there are PLENTY of movies about the Holocaust made after Schindlers list.

1993 USA Schindler's List Steven Spielberg Winner of 7 Academy Awards, including Best Picture
1993 UK Genghis Cohn (BBC TV) Elijah Moshinsky Based on a novel by Romain Gary
1994 Germany Drei Tage im April (TV) Oliver Storz
1994 Israel Mishpat Kastner (TV mini) Uri Barbash English titles:Kastner Family or The Kastner Trial
1994 USA Leni (TV) Leo Hiemer
1995 USA And Many Happy Returns Owen Shapiro
1995 France Les Misérables Claude Lelouch
1995 Japan Anne no nikki Akinori Nagaoka Anime adaptation of the Diary of Anne Frank
1995 Germany/ UK/ Austria / Ireland Mutters Courage Michael Verhoeven English title: Mother's Courage
1995 Poland / Germany/ France Wielki tydzien Andrzej Wajda English title: The Holy Week
1996 USA Voices of the Children Zuzana Justman Winner of the 1999 Emmy Award for Best Historical Program
1996 USA The Empty Mirror Barry J. Hershey
1996 Belarus / Germany From Hell to Hell Dmitri Astrakhan
1996 USA The Man Who Captured Eichmann William A. Graham Based on the book Eichmann in My Hands by Peter Z. Malkin
1996 USA Mother Night Keith Gordon Based on the novel by Kurt Vonnegut, and starring Nick Nolte.
1996 USA The Ring (TV) Armand Mastroianni Based on the novel by Danielle Steel
1996 USA The Substance of Fire Daniel J. Sullivan Based on the play by Jon Robin Baitz
1996 USA Warsaw Story Amir Mann
1997 USA A Call to Remember (TV) Jack Bender
1997 Canada Punch Me in the Stomach Francine Zuckerman
1997 Israel Shanim Trufot Ilana Tsur
1997 Italy/ France / Germany/ Switzerland La Tregua Francesco Rosi English title: The Truce. Based on the autobiography by Primo Levi
1997 USA Visas and Virtue (short) Chris Tashima Based on the play by Tim Toyama
1997 Italy La vita è bella Roberto Benigni English title: Life is Beautiful. Winner of three Academy Awards (Best Actor, Best Original Score, Best Foreign Language Film)
1997 Denmark/ UK/ Germany The Island on Bird Street Soren Kragh-Jacobsen Based on the book by Uri Orlev
1997 UK Bent Sean Mathias Based on the play by Martin Sherman.
1998 USA Apt Pupil Bryan Singer Based on the novela by Stephen King
1998 Netherlands / Belgium Left Luggage Jeroen Krabbé Based on the novel by Carl Friedman
1998 USA Miracle at Midnight (TV) Ken Cameron
1998 USA Pola's March Jonathan Gruber
1998 France / Belgium/ Netherlands/ Israel Train of Life (frho. Train de vie) Radu Mihaileanu
1999 USA The Devil's Arithmetic Donna Deitch Based on the novel by Jane Yolen
1999 Germany Gloomy Sunday - Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod Rolf Schübel English title: Gloomy Sunday - A Song of Love and Death; based on the novel by Nick Barkow
1999 USA Jakob the Liar Peter Kassovitz Based on the novel by Jurek Becker
1999 USA The March Abraham Ravett
1999 Germany/ Austria / Canada/ Hungary Sunshine István Szabó
2000s[edit]
Year Country Title Director Notes
2000 Germany David Proshker Larry Eisenberg
2000 Czech Republic Musíme si pomáhat Jan Hřebejk English title: Divided We Fall
2000 Canada Nuremberg (TV) Yves Simoneau Based on the book by Joseph E. Persico, about the 21 defendants during the Nuremberg Trials, including Ernst Kaltenbrunner, Hermann Goering, Wilhelm Keitel, and Rudolf Hess.
2000 Czech Republic Pramen života Milan Cieslar English title: The Spring Of Life; based on the book by Vladimír Körner
2000 USA Shadows (short film)(short) Mitchell S. Levine
2000 USA / Poland Edges of the Lord Yurek Bogayevicz
2000 USA Sugihara: Conspiracy of Kindness Robert Kirk Based on the story of Japanese Consul General to Lithuania Chiune Sugihara.
2001 USA Anne Frank: The Whole Story (TV) Robert Dornhelm Based on the book by Melissa Müller
2001 USA / UK Conspiracy (TV) Frank Pierson A dramatic recreation of the Wannsee Conference
2001 USA The Grey Zone Tim Blake Nelson Based on the book; Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account written by Dr. Miklos Nyiszli
2001 USA / Canada Haven (TV) John Gray Based on the book by Ruth Gruber
2001 Germany Nirgendwo in Afrika Caroline Link English title: Nowhere in Africa; based on the book by Stefanie Zweig
2001 USA Uprising (TV) Jon Avnet
2002 France / Germany Amen. / Der Stellvertreter Costa-Gavras Based on the play Der Stellvertreter by Rolf Hochhuth
2002 Italy Perlasca, un eroe italiano Alberto Negrin Based on the book by Enrico Deaglio
2002 France / Germany / UK / Poland The Pianist Roman Polanski Based on the book by Wladyslaw Szpilman; Winner of three Academy Awards (Best Actor, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay)
2003 Germany / Austria Annas Heimkehr (TV) Xaver Schwarzenberger Based on the life of Charlotte Knobloch during World War II
2003 Hungary A Rózsa énekei Andor Szilágyi
2003 Italy La Finestra di Fronte Ferzan Özpetek English title: Facing Windows
2003 USA The Singing Forest Jorge Ameer
2003 USA Out of the Ashes Joseph Sargent Based on the book I Was a Doctor in Auschwitz by Gisella Perl
2003 USA Hitler: The Rise of Evil (TV) Christian Duguay
2003 Germany Babiy Yar Jeff Kanew Babiy Yar is also known as Babij Jar.
2005 Poland / Sweden Ninas resa Lena Einhorn A true story dramatized with the real protagonist, Nina Einhorn (mother of the director), as narrator. About the ghetto in Warsaw and its uprising.
2005 Japan Nihon no Shindler Sugihara Chiune Monogatari 6,000-nin no Inochi no Visa (TV series) Takayoshi Watanabe Based on the story of Japanese Consul General to Lithuania Chiune Sugihara.
2005 France A Love to Hide (TV) Christian Faure
2005 USA Everything is Illuminated Liev Schreiber Based on the book by Jonathan Safran Foer
2005 Germany Nicht alle waren Moerder Jo Baier Based on the autobiography "Nicht alle waren Mörder" 2002 by Michael Degen. English title: Not All Were Murderers
2005 UK Primo (TV) Richard Wilson Italian chemist and author Primo Levi was imprisoned in Auschwitz in 1944 by Germans soldiers who discovered that he was Jewish. He spent 10 months incarcerated in barbaric conditions. He then wrote of his horrifying experiences in If This Is A Man. The book was brought to stage at the Royal National Theatre in London in September 2004. This film is an adaptation of that play, which was also titled Primo and was also directed by Richard Wilson. The play was a one-man production by actor Antony Sher. This filmed version of the play sees Sher acting out some harrowing material as he brings Primo Levi's words to life. It is a monologue told as a memoir by an older Primo Levi looking back at his life in Auschwitz.
2005 Germany Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage Marc Rothemund English title: Sophie Scholl: The Final Days - Based on the true story of one of the most famous members of the German anti-Nazi group, The White Rose.
2005 Hungary Sorstalanság Lajos Koltai Based on the book by Imre Kertész. English title: Fateless
2006 Netherlands Black Book Paul Verhoeven A beautiful Jewish singer in Nazi occupied Netherlands infiltrates the Gestapo HQ
2006 Germany / Czech Republic Der Letzte Zug Joseph Vilsmaier/ Dana Vávrová English title: The Last Train
2006 Germany / Lithuania Ghetto Audrius Juzenas Based on a play written by Joshua Sobol about the Vilna Ghetto
2006 USA Forgiving Dr. Mengele Bob Hercules, Cheri Pugh
2007 Germany / Austria The Counterfeiters Stefan Ruzowitzky Based on a memoir written by Adolf Burger about Operation Bernhard
2008 UK God on Trial Andy DeEmmony A group of Jewish prisoners in Auschwitz put God on trial as they blame him for the tragedies of the Holocaust.
2008 UK / USA The Boy in the Striped Pajamas Mark Herman The nine-year-old son of the commandant at a concentration camp becomes friends with a Jewish boy on the other side of the camp fence.
2008 USA Defiance Edward Zwick Based on the book by Nechama Tec
2008 UK / USA The Reader Stephen Daldry Based on the book by Bernhard Schlink.
Best Leading Actress - Oscar winner: Kate Winslet
2008 Hungary / Germany / UK Good Vicente Amorim Based on the play by Cecil Philip Taylor
2009 France La Rafle Rose Bosch
2009 France L'armée du crime Robert Guédiguian Based on a story by Serge Le Péron, with Virginie Ledoyen.
In Paris during the German occupation, Missak Manouchian, an Armenian exiled poet, leads a group of resistance fighters to commit disorganized attacks. English title: The Army of Crime
2009 USA / Poland / Canada The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler (TV) John Kent Harrison
2010s[edit]
Year Country Title Director Notes
2010 USA/ Poland Esther's Diary Mariusz Kotowski Narrative based on a composite of stories told to the director by his Polish grandparents, who were personally involved in hiding Polish Jews from the Nazis in World War II; features original footage from the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum
2010 France Sarah's Key Gilles Paquet-Brenner An adaptation of the novel Elle s'appelait Sarah by Tatiana De Rosnay
2010 France The Round Up (2010 film) Rose Bosch A faithful retelling of the 1942 "Vel' d'Hiv Roundup" and the events surrounding it.
2010 China A Jewish Girl in Shanghai Wang Genfa, Zhang Zhenhui Animated. Life of a Jewish girl with her little brother in Shanghai, and her parents in Europe.
2011 Poland In Darkness Agnieszka Holland Set in Lvov, Poland, a sewer worker hides Jews escaping the liquidation of the ghetto. Based on a true story.
2012 Republic of Macedonia The Third Half Darko Mitrevski

Plus with any movie the most famous actor is going to get top billing. Most of y'all didn't even know dudes name before this acting like y'all pulling for his career so hard :rolleyes . It was Django starring Jamie Foxx, also for the person that tried to sneak that in there. Robert Deniro was barely in Killer Elite but he's all on the posters with Jason Statham and Clive Owen, simply because he's more famous.

By now y'all should know I'm not Tom, and in fa t I have a real life tangible history of fighting for the advancement of Black consciousness. But let's not cry wolf at every little thing. You lose credibility quick .

Last edited:
The movie is about an educated black man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery. Then escaped.

No civilizing needed. Dude was already smarter and more worldly than any of the white people in the movie. He was very well spoken and could read and write better than the white people who were running the plantations.

If anything this movie isn't "we started as slaves" as much as it is "there were those of us who were successful and educated during the time of slavery, but we all had to recognize that we couldn't separate ourselves from 'those' blacks as much as we wished because there were still systems in play that kept us in fear of being treated the same no ,after our status in the community."

If you don't know the story of Solomon Northup, then I don't blame you for jumping to conclusions.
And how much you wanna bet the movie deals primarily with his 12 years in bondage? 

How much focus will be given to this educated black man prior to his enslavement? Maybe a flashback here and there..

Do you honestly believe the movie will be about the worldliness of Solomon Northup?

In the short synopsis that you provided, I see man who was robbed of his dignity, and despite being better educated than the overseers he is reduced once again to a brute, and he is forced to acquiesce to his forced upon inferiority. 

Same story with a minor tweak.

However, instead of being uneducated and then taught ways of refinement, he's educated but now forced to bow down under a system which disregards his right for freedom. 

I don't need to see that...

Still a movie about being submissive. 

Last edited:
Will NOT watch.

So tired of slave movies. is that the only way black people get any real film work

Shut up... Besides the fact that movies about slavery make up less than 1% of films with a black actor in a leading role, it seems that you're only acknowledgeding films about slaves as "the only way black people can get real film work".

But why do we need another slave movie then? We just had Django didn't we? Why do we need slave movies these days in general. WHy don't we get more black superhero movies or even regular hero?

Edit: The thread title is misleading then like stated previously. Can't even put the main character's name first smh.

Last edited:
The movie is about an educated black man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery. Then escaped.

And how much you wanna bet the movie deals primarily with his 12 years in bondage? 

How much focus will be given to this educated black man prior to his enslavement? Maybe a flashback here and there..

Do you honestly believe the movie will be about the worldliness of Solomon Northup?

In the short synopsis that you provided, I see man who was robbed of his dignity, and despite being better educated than the overseers he is reduced once again to a brute, and he is forced to acquiesce to his forced upon inferiority. 

Same story with a minor tweak.

However, instead of being uneducated and then taught ways of refinement, he's educated but now forced to bow down under a system which disregards his right for freedom. 

I don't need to see that...

Still a movie about being submissive. 

Bruh...being kidnapped and sold into slavery doesn't make him any less educated or articulate. The movie is called 12 Years A Slave of course it's gonna be about his bondage. Dude is still worldly throughout the movie. Hell, Brad Pitt asked him if he knew where Canada was and he says "yes, I've been there many times" In the trailer.

I am really sorry that you're having some sort of hard time with the fact that slavery happened. But we have got to acknowledge it. Django just came out last year, and that movie has a whole lot of what you're looking for. To be honest with you, I'd rather see the biopic about Toussant L'Ouveture that Danny Glovers been tryna make for years now.

Actually I'd really rather see a movie about a black man named Thomas-Alexandre Dumas, father of Alexandre Dumas (author of the Three Muskateers), and the arch enemy of Napoleon, having fought him for control of the French Army and the right begin conquest of the known world. They were both the two highest ranking generals in the French Army and were locked in a rivalry over power and influence.

Can't wait for this. I knew he was attached to the film, but I didn't even recognize Fassbender at first :wow: .

sreggie101, here yah go:

View media item 497797

Last edited:
Plus with any movie the most famous actor is going to get top billing. Most of y'all didn't even know dudes name before this acting like y'all pulling for his career so hard
eyes.gif
. It was Django starring Jamie Foxx, also for the person that tried to sneak that in there. Robert Deniro was barely in Killer Elite but he's all on the posters with Jason Statham and Clive Owen, simply because he's more famous.

By now y'all should know I'm not Tom, and in fa t I have a real life tangible history of fighting for the advancement of Black consciousness. But let's not cry wolf at every little thing. You lose credibility quick .
I already knew about dude...
grin.gif

From Inside Man, 2012, Salt, he's a pretty good actor. 

How is a dude losing credibility because he doesn't see the value in a slave movie?

Not even crying wolf...but the movies you mentioned concerning the Holocaust did not receive the attention for one, the director of the pics listed is not Steven Spielberg, and there are several ways you can dress up a Holocaust film where it's not really about the genocide of Jews, extermination camps, etc.

Slave pics are rarely shown in any other light...there are chains, and there are conditions shown which become etched in our memory. 

Honestly, I am somewhat sensitive to watching slave pics because I'm cognizant of the the ulterior motive behind the presentation. 

Last edited:
Bruh...being kidnapped and sold into slavery doesn't make him any less educated or articulate. The movie is called 12 Years A Slave of course it's gonna be about his bondage. Dude is still worldly throughout the movie. Hell, Brad Pitt asked him if he knew where Canada was and he says "yes, I've been there many times" In the trailer.

I am really sorry that you're having some sort of hard time with the fact that slavery happened. But we have got to acknowledge it. Django just came out last year, and that movie has a whole lot of what you're looking for. To be honest with you, I'd rather see the biopic about Toussant L'Ouveture that Danny Glovers been tryna make for years now.

Actually I'd really rather see a movie about a black man named Thomas-Alexandre Dumas, father of Alexandre Dumas (author of the Three Muskateers), and the arch enemy of Napoleon, having fought him for control of the French Army and the right begin conquest of the known world. They were both the two highest ranking generals in the French Army and were locked in a rivalry over power and influence.
And why hasn't that been made?

So Mel Gibson, a partner of his, good friend even, can get The Passion of Christ made with no problems right...

But Danny Glover can't get major studio backing for a movie about the Haitian revolution? 

Come on man...

Since there is only one black director with that kind of clout in Hollywood why doesn't he put his money into something of substance instead of churning out modern day minstrel shows at an alarming pace?

Last edited:

So Mel Gibson, a partner of his, good friend even, can get The Passion of Christ made with no problems right...

But Danny Glover can't get major studio backing for a movie about the Haiti revolution? 

Come on man...

Since there is only one black director with that kind of clout in Hollywood why doesn't he put his money into something of substance instead of churning out modern day minstrel shows at an alarming pace?

I think some of your points are valid but on some you are reaching a bit.

Raising the question as to why Danny Glover can't get studio backing for the T'oussaint L'Ouveture film is fair. Aso questioning why Tyler Perry doesn't work on films of substance instead of making films that constantly regurgitate negative black stereotypes is fair too.

I think you and I both are disturbed the images and portrayals of ourselves in the media, film etc so we are pretty much on the same page. I think your points regarding slave depictions in movies (while I do understand what you are saying) are not exactly accurate as there has not been THAT many recent images as you claim.

The question I would raise to you is do you support independent black films and independent black filmmakers? Or are you not even aware of the great independent black films that are being produced (which is another issue)?

Can't wait for this. I knew he was attached to the film, but I didn't even recognize Fassbender at first :wow: .

sreggie101, here yah go:

View media item 497797

good lol

But Danny Glover can't get major studio backing for a movie about the Haiti revolution? 

Come on man...

yea the haitian revolution movie is simple. white america doesn't give a **** about blacks revolting and the studios know it. that would feature a large black cast, and unless you doing some typical black audience catered romance or tyler perry madea (f)oolery, its not getting funded. plain and simple. george lucas came out entirely out of pocket for red tails and he flat out was honest and said he was literally told, they don't want to market an all black cast of a film of this nature. danny glover got half his funding from hugo chavez. this danny glover project speaks volumes about america today socially and politically.

Last edited:
I think some of your points are valid but on some you are reaching a bit.

Raising the question as to why Danny Glover can't get studio backing for the T'oussaint L'Ouveture film is fair. Aso questioning why Tyler Perry doesn't work on films of substance instead of making films that constantly regurgitate negative black stereotypes is fair too.

I think you and I both are disturbed the images and portrayals of ourselves in the media, film etc so we are pretty much on the same page. I think your points regarding slave depictions in movies (while I do understand what you are saying) are not exactly accurate as there has not been THAT many recent images as you claim.

The question I would raise to you is do you support independent black films and independent black filmmakers? Or are you not even aware of the great independent black films that are being produced (which is another issue)?
If the material is interesting then sure...but many of the independent films that I've seen are just like the Tyler Perry films I try to avoid.

If you can provide information on some great independent black films that would be cool...

But again, independent black films fall under the radar the same way most straight to video films do. 

good lol
yea the haitian revolution movie is simple. white america doesn't give a **** about blacks revolting and the studios know it. that would feature a large black cast, and unless you doing some typical black audience catered romance or tyler perry madea (f)oolery, its not getting funded. plain and simple. george lucas came out entirely out of pocket for red tails and he flat out was honest and said he was literally told, they don't want to market an all black cast of a film of this nature. danny glover got half his funding from hugo chavez. this danny glover project speaks volumes about america today socially and politically.
Yep

Trailer looks real good. I'm going to have to see this when it comes out.
when does it come out???????????
edit: nvm it was scheduled for december 2013 but after test screenings moved it up to october

Last edited:
"Just y'all uppity negroes remember... y'all used to be slaves...

Til the white man set y'all free. Don't forget that." -- Sincerely, the System via Hollywood

Last edited:
i can def see media, and people alike, try and draw comparisons between this movie and django. which shouldn't imo, since django was, at the end of the day, an adventure action spaghetti western, with a racially intense backdrop. this movie is being presented as a biopic.

on the other hand, i've had discussions with a friend who teaches english at tufts university and was presenting a thesis in london on django. he gets really deep but what i can say is you can draw interesting conclusions about racism itself, and in terms of america, without weighing so much on the historical aspect of it.

idk if that makes sense :lol:

good lol

Yep

Glad somebody finally said it. That's the way this America works.

We really shouldn't ever forget that we were slaves.

That's the source of a lot of the lax attitudes and accepted buffoonery that goes on in black culture today.

How about we shouldn't forget the brave Africans who fought and died for their freedom, built the country, innovated technology, found new lands and gave America style and new forms of art?

Nah, that would be boring and not uplifting at all. Let's focus on slavery and the white man saving Africans.

:smh:

We really shouldn't ever forget that we were slaves.

That's the source of a lot of the lax attitudes and accepted buffoonery that goes on in black culture today.

how about focusing on how we've been way more than slaves we were tho?

How about we shouldn't forget the brave Africans who fought and died for their freedom, built the country, innovated technology, found new lands and gave America style and new forms of art?

Nah, that would be boring and not uplifting at all. Let's focus on slavery and the white man saving Africans.

and there's so much source material out there, like that haitian revolution film trying to get picked up, how about some nubians 300-esque type movie? what about the early beginnings of jazz?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom