12 Years A Slave (Film) - Starring Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Chiwetel Ejiofor - 10/18/13

I'll probably be seeing it tomorrow or tonight. Depends how drunk for footballI get this afternoon.

Late pass, but LUV is a very good movie. Saw it like a month ago on Centric (whose editing is sooooooo much better than BETs). A nice pleasant surprise.

I was also surprised by LUV. I had low expectations as well. Common really nailed that part. The couple of times that I've seen him play a gangster, he was convinving. I think the other time was Street Kings? A movie with Forest Whitaker, Keanu Reeves and Cedric the Entertainer.

Maybe dude should take more of those roles.

Anyone see it yet?

Caught it last night, just barely - decent seats were hard to come by and my date and i were forced to catch the last showing of the evening. The film was incredible, albeit a difficult watch due to content. Chiwetel had a superb performance & I'd be surprised if he didn't receive an Academy nomination. The cinematography was also remarkable. If I do have any criticism for the film, - & I'm certain I'll catch some flack for this - it would be for Hans Zimmer's handling of the score. I found it too reminiscent of his work on Inception & the thought would constantly seep into my mind making for distracting filmwatching.

****** gonna sit here and try and tell me that elites don't run Hollywood?

We get Django...then this film...it's funny how this race **** seems so manufactured at times. 

The people behind the curtains...
mean.gif

You can only show 5-7 movies at a time in a Theatre -- of course it is elitist, duh. Were talking 100's of millions of dollars to produce these things. There are 1000's and 1000's of movies made every year (most without big marketing and distribution for theatrical release), you just have to know which movies to buy and where you can get them.

That's why it's starring Brad Pitt...

He's the #$@$#$ producer. He can market it how he wants because he put the money into the pot.

"Starring" Brad Pitt doesn't mean ANYTHING.

It's a marketing phrase, much like "featuring" Jay-Z on a song or in an album.

It doesn't mean he is the LEAD ROLE in the movie.

Since there is only one black director with that kind of clout in Hollywood why doesn't he put his money into something of substance instead of churning out modern day minstrel shows at an alarming pace?

It's not a Directors job to invest money. That would be an Executive Producer or Producer.

And how much you wanna bet the movie deals primarily with his 12 years in bondage?

How much focus will be given to this educated black man prior to his enslavement? Maybe a flashback here and there..

lol, you mean the parts of his life without any of the drama or action that would be worth sitting down to see for 3 hours?

But again, independent black films fall under the radar the same way most straight to video films do.

Straight to video films don't "fall," they already failed. That's why they are straight to video, because they suck.

If you want to see independent black films that aren't straight to video, you need to get familiar with film festival markets, and you need to FIND A THEATRE THAT ACTUALLY SHOWS INDEPENDENT FILMS ON THE REGULAR.

:smh:

I always stay out of the racial stuff on NT. I'm just passing some light to some of you.

Dances With Wolves was probably the last major film depicting Native Americans as the major sole plot / actors unless you include Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and Into the West.
Apocalypto

Amazing film. (edit: the ending sucked so much -- the ending as in the very last scene with the reveal of the boats)

I met Mel Gibson. He's actually a real cool dude. He went out of his way to say "Hello" and "Have a nice day" when he was leaving. It threw me off guard. I thought he was crazy, but quickly realized it's all marketing.

Some of you are just simply sheepish consumers.

Last edited:
The amount of emotion and talent you can showcase as an African-American actor in the role of a slave is unmatched. It is a great opportunity for an actor if the movie has a good script and is backed by good production.

These filmmakers and storytellers are dedicating a lot of blood and sweat into this story they want to tell. And that story is about the hardship of a black man who didn't deserve it. You should respect that.

Leonardo DiCaprio for years has been sitting on the rights to a film script about Chicago's/America's most notorious serial killer in history. And while it's hard to compare a US slave to a serial killer -- serial killers are literally the scum of society and yet Leo still jumped on that opportunity because it is an opportunity like no other. So I'm not buying the "black people can only play slaves" simply because I know the type of character and emotion that such a role can induce in a film.

Ditch the pride. Enjoy the art and the talent. Support the artist and the industry.

Also, Danny Glover is a b-list actor in the year 2013....

Last edited:
Really need to catch this eventually.. also need to see Gravity still. Haven't been to the movies since Early summer.

Really need to catch this eventually.. also need to see Gravity still. Haven't been to the movies since Early summer.

Please please please watch Gravity in 3D and in a good sounding Theatre. I was told that watching it in non-3D doesn't take away from the story, but seeing the distances of outerspace objects really adds to the experience in 3D.

The amount of emotion and talent you can showcase as an African-American actor in the role of a slave is unmatched. It is a great opportunity for an actor if the movie has a good script and is backed by good production.

These filmmakers and storytellers are dedicating a lot of blood and sweat into this story they want to tell. And that story is about the hardship of a black man who didn't deserve it. You should respect that...

Ditch the pride. Enjoy the art and the talent. Support the artist and the industry.

for the most part i agree with the above, i'd defend any director's prerogative to make whatever film elicits their passion to create a great movie going/watching experience...where it gets tricky is this is the movie business, and it is just that...a business (to state the obvious, and it is a business that is undergoing much upheaval with its financial model & competition from personalized home entertainment) and it is pretty easy to understand why these type of films (12 years a slave, the butler, the help, etc....) get made, no need to go to these conspiracy theories about hollywood & its aim vis a vis black folk; it is simple arithmetic combined with cultural norms. these are the type of films that only make white people feel slightly uneasy (at the same time feel pride that they aren't like those white folk represented on the screen) & the same reason we can't have really candid & open discussions about race & racism

also my understanding is the film industry doe a lot of focus grouping & keeps data on just about everything relative to the movie going audience (which is supposedly increasingly becoming more about appealing to global audiences) almost down to a formula, and they pretty much KNOW white folk aren't going to be checking for too many films with black leads who aren't named will smith & prolly denzel (same goes for hispanic/latin & asian leads, maybe even moreso), while minorities don't seem to suffer from that affliction, at least when it comes to films...

so if a film doesn't add to these big studios bottom line, or at the least add to its prestige, film studios aren't interested (even something like fruitvale station, which i believe was a finished movie before it was picked up, would have a very difficult time being made from within the current hollywood system) it is about the $$$, which is how tyler perry has been able to keep making films...

and the last point i'll make is in reference to tyler perry's films, because in some respect i think, the reason those films do so well is they seem to be easily digestible & lighter in tone & black folk don't want to be made too uncomfortable (this is probably generally true for most people) either; because the disturbing thing for me about a film like 12 years & a fruitvale is they're NOT really movies (i'm sure they are excellent films, but i probably won't see either); they are about real people, they are not fantasy though parts are played up & down for dramatic affect, on some level people go to movies as an escape and even if they intent is to uplift & bring to light some of these stories there is a really depressing tone that has to be felt when those faces on the screen look like yours & you realize that it is or could be your own experience...

so i could totally see why people might feel like not seeing the type of film again, especially when there haven't been a lot of films to balance them out...

Last edited:
Man the emotion and passion depicted by the actors in this film is flat out remarkable. You are literally with them the entire time for good and the bad.

I've always wondered when people take on roles like this and perform them so well, how are they able to "turn it off" if you will when a scene is over :lol: ? Some of the scenes in this are so intense and disrespectful that I would love to see and hear what happens immediately after a scene when the director yells "CUT!" :nerd:

Man the emotion and passion depicted by the actors in this film is flat out remarkable. You are literally with them the entire time for good and the bad.

I've always wondered when people take on roles like this and perform them so well, how are they able to "turn it off" if you will when a scene is over :lol: ? Some of the scenes in this are so intense and disrespectful that I would love to see and hear what happens immediately after a scene when the director yells "CUT!" :nerd:

lol word. Like do they go back to joking around on set with eachother and shoot the breeze or is it like tense...kinda quiet.

lol word. Like do they go back to joking around on set with eachother and shoot the breeze or is it like tense...kinda quiet.

I'm sayinggg, like he just passionately called me a N bomb with the er on the end, disrespected my character that I was playing, like that's crazy to me.

I'm not an actor so I wouldn't know. But scenes that intense are crazy when the performances are that good. Would seem extremely hard to like constantly turn those emotions on and off, on and off, especially if your like chi, who was in every scene of the film. That has to take a physical and emotional toll on him.

I heard people cried watching this, is it really a tearjerker or are yall just soft?
grin.gif

I'll watch it tho, the trailer looks interesting.

Back
Top Bottom