2008 Australian Open

2532190.jpg

ali-muhammad-22.jpg

It's annoying as hell whenever Sharapova screams after each swing. Save it for the bedroom, Maria

I think there was article I read a few times ago, about Sharapova in the sack.

Im sure it was Adam Levine of Maroon 5 said Sharapova is the opposite in bed.. apparently she was getting annoyed when Levine was making noiseor something - saying it was preventing from her concetrating!!

hahahaha.

Still Ana > Sharapova.

Burnette vs Blonde. Blonde = fun. Burnette = lifetime.

Besides those issues, it was a great torunament - Henin, Nadal, Federer all top seeds knocked out!

i really think tsonga will win this "morning" in the finals

should be a competitive match

one more all nighter to go!

yeah, he certainly looks bigger than that...

great rallies... but just a few errors creeping in, understandably...

i got some questions for you tennis heads.

can someone school me on the scoring?

game.set.match. i get that. love-15-30-40-game. i get that (i think.) but you gotta win each game by "2" so-to-speak, right? when a game istied, it's called "duece." and advantage means that person is up 1...what does "break" mean? does it mean that the player whodidn't have the advantage "tied it up?"

first to 6 games wins the set right? but you also gotta win the set by 2 games? how's the tiebreaker work? best of 5 sets wins the match?

what determines who serves first and how does serving rotate? when do the players switch sides.

and what if a player rushes the net, can you just hit the ball straight at the player? you know, jam him up, tie his hands (baseball vernacular
pimp.gif
)

or is that sorta an un-written rule in tennis?

and i know i could probably look this all up, just wanted to give a tennis head a chance to shine, plus maybe some others on here have the same questions.

Basically it goes 15, 30, 40, then game. When both players are at 40, or deuce, they gotta win 2 straight points to win the game. and each game a differentplayer serves, and basically the term "serve is broken" means the player serving lost the game, which is a break for the returner as usually theperson serving has a greater advantage at winning the game. Hope that isn't confusing.

you can't go and complain about people rooting for the opponent unless they're disturbing your viewing or the game

that's a bit arrogant. who do they think they are?

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

i got some questions for you tennis heads.

can someone school me on the scoring?

game.set.match. i get that. love-15-30-40-game. i get that (i think.) but you gotta win each game by "2" so-to-speak, right? when a game is tied, it's called "duece." and advantage means that person is up 1...what does "break" mean? does it mean that the player who didn't have the advantage "tied it up?"

first to 6 games wins the set right? but you also gotta win the set by 2 games? how's the tiebreaker work? best of 5 sets wins the match?

what determines who serves first and how does serving rotate? when do the players switch sides.

and what if a player rushes the net, can you just hit the ball straight at the player? you know, jam him up, tie his hands (baseball vernacular
pimp.gif
)

or is that sorta an un-written rule in tennis?

and i know i could probably look this all up, just wanted to give a tennis head a chance to shine, plus maybe some others on here have the same questions.

to win a set you need to win 6 games with a 2 game advantage... meaning if the game score goes to 6-5, you need to win another game to get the score to 7-5to win the set... or if it turns to 6-6 then its a tiebreak... in a tiebreak, theres no more love, 15, 30, 40 scoring... its by points... first to 7 pointswith a 2 point advantage wins the set...

a 'break' means you win the game when your opponent is serving... generally the server has an advantage... but if the server loses the game, he is'broken' or his service was 'broken'... hope that makes sense...

big tournaments are a best-of 5 sets... smaller tournaments are a best-of 3 sets...
serving order is determined by a flip of a coin...

EDIT - as for 'jamming' your opponent at the net, yes you can do it, and its not really considered to be unsportsmanlike (though if you do hit youropponent you should appologize)... but guys with quick hands might be able to get the ball back into play... so generally you try to pass them instead ofhitting it back at their body... but yes it does happen from time to time...

Back
Top Bottom