2008 BMW M3 or Newer car in 2016 opinions........

Get a 2013+ Acura ILX, TLX.
My next daily driver is going to be a TLX, and leasing a 911. I bought a 2010 TSX in December of 2010. The car has 104,000 miles now...joint is still going strong as hell. Maintenance is ridiculously cheap. Oil change at the dealership is $50. "Major" service is like $900 and that was only at 100k miles :lol:

It's not the fastest car, but I don't think I've even redline this thing with LA traffic.

Oh god whyd you do this to yourself op :lol:

You cant just cross shop a e92 m3 vs a brand new regular joe car because a bunch of car enthuasist told you to get one (they arent wrong either :pimp: :lol:)

Last edited:
After owning a BMW 335i, I'm never going to buy another German car again, let alone a used one. Leasing from now on.

I ordered that thing new in 2007 and picked her up with 3-4 miles on it. The car was dope and had no issue until 75k miles. I wanted to keep her too. Within a 3 month span, I was spending $2-3k a month fixing it. I had to use the dealership since independent places did not have the tools needed to fix the issues at the time since the 335i was relatively new. Paid $47k for her, sold her for $15k. No one wanted a manual sedan.

Even if you discount the labor, parts are still expensive. It used to cost me about $120-140 to do an oil change. That price is with me going in and buying the oil and filter at a dealership with my friend's discount (he was a mechanic), and me doing the labor myself.

Tires will wear down more since it's RWD and you can't swap all sides. I used to swap the rear ones every couple months due to my camber :lol:

I know a couple of dudes who have older E46 and E9X M3's that are still going strong, but they are mechanics and do all the work themselves.

This man knows.

Tough story wj4 but reality from my friends with lower to mid level BMWs and benzes. Looks good for a little while then a slippery slope of nonsense ensues.

After owning a BMW 335i, I'm never going to buy another German car again, let alone a used one. Leasing from now on.

I ordered that thing new in 2007 and picked her up with 3-4 miles on it. The car was dope and had no issue until 75k miles. I wanted to keep her too. Within a 3 month span, I was spending $2-3k a month fixing it. I had to use the dealership since independent places did not have the tools needed to fix the issues at the time since the 335i was relatively new. Paid $47k for her, sold her for $15k. No one wanted a manual sedan.

Even if you discount the labor, parts are still expensive. It used to cost me about $120-140 to do an oil change. That price is with me going in and buying the oil and filter at a dealership with my friend's discount (he was a mechanic), and me doing the labor myself.

Tires will wear down more since it's RWD and you can't swap all sides. I used to swap the rear ones every couple months due to my camber
laugh.gif

I know a couple of dudes who have older E46 and E9X M3's that are still going strong, but they are mechanics and do all the work themselves.
I know the 335's were problematic with faulty turbos, etc. Wasn't there a class action in California for them? I remember they couldn't give away used 335's out of warranty because of how notoriously unreliable they were 
laugh.gif

The m3 v8 isn't as bad from what I remember, a few people I know owned E92s and only one of them has had a bad experience reliability wise. Still wouldn't buy a 2008 m3 in 2016, especially since low miles are hard to come by. Rather spend the extra for something newer, M4 or 435 m package. 

NT not feeling da m3???

NT not suggesting to cop da hemi???

I don't eem know bruh. Minus whale just scoop a hover board and call it a day..

What draws you to an 8 year old BMW out of curiosity?

Performance? You can get newer vehicles that would be fast and fun to drive.

BMW badge? The people who know BMWs will know you are driving an 8 year old car. The people who don't know BMWs would be equally impressed if you were driving a 1995 318ti because it also has the blue and white roundel.

Luxury cars drop in value quickly after their original warranties are up because they are so expensive to maintain, and people willing to buy vehicles in that state know they have to set aside money for possible repairs. For $35k you can get an 8 year old M3 but you also have to think about the maintenance costs and the insurance costs of owning a luxury vehicle.

If you buy a $35k brand new Acura or Lexus for example, you have a factory warranty in place and a vehicle that honestly most Americans would love to drive.

8 years is a long time for automobiles. I just went from a 2008 to a 2016 and it reminds me of when I upgraded from the original iphone to an iphone 4. I couldn't imagine buying an 8 year old car for that kind of money when there are solid choices for a brand new car in that price range.

When it comes time to trade in or sell your next car say in 5 years, which do you think you'll get more value for, a 13 year old BMW or a 5 year old Acura/Lexus?

To know the true debate, more information is needed:

-How many miles on this 2008 M3?

-What would be the alternative(s)?

-How long are you going to keep this car?

-How much money you have for down payment and how long to finance?

I would get a newer car honestly but at the end of the day it's your money and life--get what makes you happy. I just think you should not try to stretch yourself just for the sake of saying you're driving a BMW M3. Save that for later in life when you have more resources and can get a younger vehicle.

Tough story wj4 but reality from my friends with lower to mid level BMWs and benzes. Looks good for a little while then a slippery slope of nonsense ensues.
You live and you learn, man. Funny how you change your thought process as you grow older. My dream was to own a new M3 before I turn 30. I turned 30 2 months ago, and have no desire to buy one even though I can. Going big or not doing it at all over here. Same story happened to my friend. He bought a loaded 550i for his wife and pretty much same story happen to me. It boggles my mind, bro....these German cars. A buddy leased a brand new S Coupe couple months ago. One week later, car just died on the street. Had to be towed to the dealership. That thing continued to have issues so he gave it back, and got a Ghost instead. They probably marked that S Coupe as a 'manager special' or something now.

You live and you learn, man. Funny how you change your thought process as you grow older. My dream was to own a new M3 before I turn 30. I turned 30 2 months ago, and have no desire to buy one even though I can. Going big or not doing it at all over here. Same story happened to my friend. He bought a loaded 550i for his wife and pretty much same story happen to me. It boggles my mind, bro....these German cars. A buddy leased a brand new S Coupe couple months ago. One week later, car just died on the street. Had to be towed to the dealership. That thing continued to have issues so he gave it back, and got a Ghost instead. They probably marked that S Coupe as a 'manager special' or something now.
More than likely that Mercedes became a "manufacturer buy-back" that they will repair and then send out to auction. Manufacturers will do that to avoid a vehicle becoming a "lemon".

There's a used car lot in town that specializes in manufacturer buy-backs. You can get really new luxury vehicles for a steal, but only if one is willing to take the risk.

8 years is a long time for automobiles. I just went from a 2008 to a 2016 and it reminds me of when I upgraded from the original iphone to an iphone 4. I couldn't imagine buying an 8 year old car for that kind of money when there are solid choices for a brand new car in that price range.
Talking about an E9x M3 though, not too many people would consider it outdated even in 20 years unless BMW really comes out a better engine.  Even then, people would still want the NA V8.

M3 gonna be fire forever no matter what. Its the maintaining it and everything that could come with it being damn near 10 years old. Either you gonna wanna deal with it or not. I got better things to worry about then something going wrong with my bimmer to work in the morning.

Last edited:
In my opinion, instead of copping a 08 M3, I would just lease something new. But that's my personal preference. If I had a choice, I would switch up cars every 3 years. I don't care much for holding onto cars as prized possessions. Right now however, I own my altima, but once I get my finances together, I'm getting rid of it and leasing something

Back
Top Bottom