2016 Houston Rockets Pre-Season Thread - Preseason Finale vs Spurs

I'm sure everyone has had enough time to digest the new hire of Mike D'Antoni. Based on this hire, i feel like everything else was a smokescreen. Whether or not you actually wanted JVG, Kenny, Vogel, Silas, Blatt, a couple Spurs assistants, etc, D'Antoni is the guy they (actually more Les than Morey) wanted the entire time, and all the other interviews and interest reports were just smokescreens to make us spark conversation and make theories. I am wholeheartedly against this hire, as I think D'Antoni has been more apart of losing than winning, thus bringing a losing culture. You're basically gonna need everything to go right in order for him to have success, without a single margin of error, just like Kubiak, a type of structure we do not need again. I am totally unsold on this hire until I see what the final roster is come October, so they have plenty of time to change my tune.

I am totally unsold on this hire until I see what the final roster is come October, so they have plenty of time to change my tune.

You could've left all of the rest of that post out and just said this.

Plus I think Morwy had as much to do with this hire than Les, I'm not gonna let local media sway me into thinking Les Alexander pulled the rug from under him. I'm going to believe this was a joint decision from both of them.

I have no reason to believe this was a joint hire based on Morey's exact description of the next coach he wanted here, compared to who actually was hired.

Just like he told us he wasn't trying to trade Dwight it was reported well over that they were.

Mind you Dantoni is a coach that offensively like to do everything Morey preaches, 3s, lay ups, fast breaks, a coach who fits Harden's game to a T.

Why wouldn't or shouldn't I believe Morey doesn't have his fingertips on this hire...

Dantoni is a good coach.

He basically has .500 record, and he's coached some brutally bad teams :lol:

Coaches obviously impact the game, but no team is doing anything of magnitude unless they have a good roster.

Portion of an article about Al Horford and chance on the Rockets

Horford will surely have countless suitors once he comes free in July, and one team that figures to make a strong push is the Houston Rockets. Sean Deveney of Sporting News reported last month that Horford is Houston’s “top-line goal in free agency,” and it’s easy to see why. There seems to be a 0 percent chance that Howard returns after last season’s disaster and the team’s subsequent hiring of Mike D’Antoni, and Horford is a good fit for the style both D’Antoni and Daryl Morey want the Rockets to play.

He’s mobile enough to hang with an uptempo style and would give the Rockets a big man that can help facilitate, which is something they’ve sorely lacked over the last several years. Horford isn’t a very good rebounder, but some of that could be alleviated by playing him alongside Clint Capela, who ranked 21st in the league in rebound rate (18.5) last season. With Big Al’s ability to step away from the basket offensively, you can theoretically get away with playing the two bigs together.

Horford has also emerged as a stellar pick-and-roll player. Atlanta scored 1.13 points per possession on plays in which Horford was the roll man in PnR situations, per Synergy, which was one of the better marks among centers in 2015-16. Houston famously failed to utilize Howard in that way very often last season, which was fairly maddening considering both Dwight and James Harden are brilliant pick-and-roll players. The Steve Nash/Amar’e Stoudemire pick-and-roll was a huge part of what defined those “Seven Seconds or Less” Suns teams under D’Antoni, and finding Harden a dangerous PnR partner for next season should be paramount for Morey this summer.

The primary concern among fans is that the D’Antoni hire will do nothing to help cure Houston’s defensive woes from last year, but bringing Horford into the mix would be a step in the right direction in that regard. The Hawks have been one of the league’s stingiest defenses over the last two seasons with Horford serving as the paint-patrolling lynchpin. One player certainly won’t be enough to fix everything that was wrong with the Rockets on that end of the floor last season, but it would be a start.

The Rockets will have plenty of money at their disposal this summer with Howard likely bolting, and it would make a good bit of sense to use much of it on Horford if the Hawks really are ready to move in a different direction.

Last edited:
just read an article about KD not considering Houston. Wouldn't exactly be surprised if true, but |I

Same, but this roster will look entirely different, so there's no telling. I honestly thought the KD dreams were shot to hell as soon as they beat the Spurs. They were playing with house money after that. And then to take GSW to 7 games??? There's no way you walk away from that.

Just get a bunch of these guys outta here, moves are being made around the NBA and Morey/Les better not be solely sitting back. Whether it's finding a way to jump back into the first round, or trades to prepare deals, things need to be coming to light.

Just get a bunch of these guys outta here, moves are being made around the NBA and Morey/Les better not be solely sitting back. Whether it's finding a way to jump back into the first round, or trades to prepare deals, things need to be coming to light.

agree. think they are just waiting though

Well well well i'm not shocked

what a terrible draft. Lets draft a Chinese player so Les can make up some money he lost when Yao left

This team is a joke

We basically drafted another Montrezl Harrell, and a very frail Yao Ming. I'm not sure what they're planning, but thankfully FA starts July 1st

Back
Top Bottom