2024 NBA Draft Thread

It’s a just comparison based off the PRE draft hype both players had/have.

Austin made a killing his senior year ranked #1, had some big games and went viral big time....he followed up with a decent season at duke + drains a nationally televised game winner.

then he got drafted into the nba and looked PEDESTRIAN AS HELL.

granted he’s came along way since his rookie year and carved out a niche for himself in the L since...

But that’s where the comparisons are being drawn, we’ll at least for me.

It’s a just comparison based off the PRE draft hype both players had/have.

Austin made a killing his senior year ranked #1, had some big games and went viral big time....he followed up with a decent season at duke + drains a nationally televised game winner.

then he got drafted into the nba and looked PEDESTRIAN AS HELL.

granted he’s came along way since his rookie year and carved out a niche for himself in the L since...

But that’s where the comparisons are being drawn, we’ll at least for me.

But I think people are asking why'd you pick Austin specifically :lol:

Since 2011...there's been other highly ranked guards with alot of hype...so why'd you go to the Austin comp?

Feels like a #complexioncomparison

I mean if that’s how YOU see it that’s how YOU see it.

but the hype AUSTIN had in like 2011 that was like the beginning of all this HS youtube hype...

dood was BUZZING, dad was in the NBA, he was #1....he had the internet POPPIN, a lot more so than say a regular top recruit like Cole Anthony or Shabazz Mohammad.....

I find it very similar how people were putting a lot into him based off his video clips and media push.

I’m not sure if you were following or watching hoops at the time? No cap, if you were you would know the hype dood had....

But if you want to make the light skin connection...go ahead, people see what they wanna see.

Last edited:
I really don’t see it with Lamelo.

Do y’all honestly think he’s better than Austin Rivers was at the same point?

Austin Rivers is fine but he’s not a #1 pick.

This draft is pure basura though.

Austin Rivers!? :lol:

man props to Lamelo, clear he had the talent, but tones of dudes like him fall through the cracks, props to him for putting in the work.

cleaned up that jumper actually bending his knees on defense.

Man props to Lamelo, clear he had the talent, but tones of dudes like him fall through the cracks, props to him for putting in the work.

cleaned up that jumper, actually bending his knees on defense. :pimp:

I really don’t see it with Lamelo.

Do y’all honestly think he’s better than Austin Rivers was at the same point?

Austin Rivers is fine but he’s not a #1 pick.

This draft is pure basura though.

Austin Rivers!? :lol:

I mean if that’s how YOU see it that’s how YOU see it.

but the hype AUSTIN had in like 2011 that was like the beginning of all this HS youtube hype...

dood was BUZZING, dad was in the NBA, he was #1....he had the internet POPPIN, a lot more so than say a regular top recruit like Cole Anthony or Shabazz Mohammad.....

I find it very similar how people were putting a lot into him based off his video clips and media push.

I’m not sure if you were following or watching hoops at the time? No cap, if you were you would know the hype dood had....

But if you want to make the light skin connection...go ahead, people see what they wanna see.

AD was the top HS prospect in Austin's class but I'ma let you cook.

And I really don't remember Austin's hype being THAT crazy :lol:

He had a popular hoopmixtape like alot of other kids but...having the "internet POPPIN"...ehh.

Yeah we talmbout hype....

no one comparing they games to one another...

I hate how y’all talk about “hype” all the time :lol:. *****s don’t even know what that means anymore. The point is...are these guys nba talents...and can they contribute to a team. Lamelo is that. For All of Austin’s faults...and the chances he got....At the end of the day...Austin Rivers was a One & Done, Lotto Pick and will be a 10 year NBA Vet.

That’s what it’s about.

Austin's "hype" was not that crazy :lol:
He was just a high ranked prospect that was never in the discussion for best player in his class

Still waiting on you to tell us how going to Australia was bad for Melo/RJ tho.

My argument was I didnt like the move from a teenager standpoint. From seeing other top prospects contemplating staying another year and forming real lifelong bonds (see past Duke team for example) and being "alumni" in a way from top programs, I just think for a kid thats a little more valuable long term. Plus the NCAA exposure is huge.

Despite how trash that overseas league is, the competition is still much more advanced than the NCAA. I've been said regardless of where they go, they'll still end up in the same place.

Lamelo shocked me though, kids maturity and IQ on the court exponentially improved overtime.

Austin comparison wasn’t about game specifically as much as hype. People were calling him the next Kobe, his mixtapes were everywhere, his hype was undeniable.

Then reality came and set in. He was an undersized two guard, who couldn’t handle the rock full time and had a funky shot. He’s a good player I’m the league now, but certainly not a star or anything.

When I see LaMelo, I see a lot of the problems that has hampered his brother in the league.

His handle doesn’t seem to be good enough to be a full-time ball handler, both have the same thinish frame. Not explosive guys who can really turn the corner on the defender and not much shake either.

While his shot seems better than Alonzo, I have serious concerns about his form (has an Austin rivers shotput type form). I also don’t think he is the same super special basketball IQ that makes Lonzo a plus player despite his glaring weaknesses.

I’ve never once watched LaMelo and thought man, that kid is really different. There are usually a handful of kid literally every year that have his skill set.

What makes him seem so special to y’all cause all I see is the hype.

Just from what I’ve seen he’s going to have to be a heavy PNR guy. I don’t see Luka at all. Maybe d’angelo Russell lite?

I’ve never once watched LaMelo and thought man, that kid is really different. There are usually a handful of kid literally every year that have his skill set.

This I can agree with.

I don't think he's head and shoulders above the other top guard prospects in the draft. The IDEA of him is.

Back
Top Bottom