31 pieces of advice, from a NTer who just turned 31 today... and a $31 giveaway

NT fam... turned 31 today... yes, I'm old but I have learned some crucial things along the way.

Here are 31 pieces of advice that hopefully you can take something away from.

To make things more interesting, if you quote ONE of the pieces, and put up a blurb AND pic about how you agree/disagree/have used it already in your life, your name will be entered to win $31 via paypal. ONCE A NUMBER IS USED, IT MAY NOT BE USED AGAIN. Once each the 31 are quoted and spoken for, I will randomly draw a number, and the funds will be sent.

31 PIECES OF ADVICE, FROM A NTer WHO JUST TURNED 31 TODAY:

SHOES:

1. Don't spend all your money on GR's. The impulse of buying a shoe makes you a puppet to Nike/JB. For every 3 releases you resist from ($150 X 3 = $450) you could instead go on eBay and hunt down one of your old grails in DS to VNDS condition.

2. Shoes crumble away... the trick is getting rid of them before you get the Dikembe McCrumble.

3. The only person you are going to impress with your kicks when you go out, is another dude. Rock what you like, no female will ever be on your jock because of your shoes, and if she is, imagine what she did last weekend when she saw a pair she liked.

4. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. We have all been burned by fakes, and each time there was a tiny voice in my head that warned me.

5. Do not get sucked into the RETRO VORTEX. If all you are chasing are shoes from a segment of your childhood, imagine all the great stuff you are missing out on now.

SCHOOL:

6. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. I had a 2.3 in high school. I had a 2.1 in college. But in the end, I got a 4.0 in my masters program and that's all people see now.

7. Every year, find one teacher who you respect and can learn from. Let them know that. Learn from them. Absorb all you can from them. Most importantly, keep in touch with them. Those are the refs you want when it comes to job search time.

8. Procrastinate writing a paper, not researching it. Research weeks ahead, and keep loading info for the big paper that is due. However, take time aside to write it in one sitting. The mind flows better and essays tend to be more readable when completed in one fluid session.

9. Enjoy your school lunches. High School, and College. It may seem terrible now, but the convenience factor is absolutely insane, and something you may never get again in your life.

10. Know your admin. Be sure that your principal, dean of school, head of your department you are majoring in, basically SOMEONE in a higher position at your school knows who you are and can see the positive that you bring to the school. Again, resume insurance should you need something down the line.

FRIENDS

11. Listen to your friends. I don't mean take advice. I mean LISTEN to them. 90% of the time guys are just preloading what our response will be while someone is speaking, or your reply to a buddy will start with "I". Instead, be that dude in your crew that genuinely has conversations with friends where you let them speak, and you are that person whom they can rely on. You would be surprised how rare that is.

12. Your high school crew won't last forever. Don't get me wrong, you will stay close friends with a lot of them. But ages 14-18 do not define who you are, and you will change and drift apart over time.

13. Your college crew won't last forever. This one is usually more demographic separation, however these are the guys who you built a solid bond with and who's weddings you will be attending. Enjoy every minute of it.

14. Know your friends parents/families. The parents of your best friends will love you too like a son if you respect them as your own parents. These are the life long friends you will keep.

15. Don't ever date/sleep with a buddies x girlfriend. He will never admit to you that it bothers him, or that he cared for her, but it's flat out disrespectful and just makes you look bad.

WOMEN

16. Be nice to attractive females. Be even nicer to non attractive ones. Women notice how you treat other women, be a gentlemen at all times, but leave looks out of it. The most beautiful ones will notice.

17. If she let's you hit the home run on the first night, she's not a bicycle... but if she goes the dome route she probably is.

18. Majority of all strippers have Daddy issues. If you end up having a daughter, don't contribute to the problem.

19. You will not marry your high school sweet heart so don't base your college decision on her.

20. If you can have a beer with her around your buddies, bring her to family dinners, have a blast with her when you are alone, and not be worried one bit when she is alone with other friends... she may be the one.

BASKETBALL

21. You are eventually going to lose your hops, but your jump shot will always stick around. Do not rely on being a high flyer and expect to stick around gyms all your life.

22. The pick and roll is the most devastating thing to bust out in pick up games. If you and another player on your team can speak the language and read what the defense is giving you, you will be on the court all night.

23. Help side defense is KEY. If you are that dude who talks and can see everything on the court, and communicate that to your team, you will always have a spot on a coaches roster.

24. It is better to hurt your ankle than your knee.

25. When your shot is not falling in a game, DO NOT try and force up more shots. Instead, attack the rack and get to the free throw line. This will get you back in rhythm.

ADULTHOOD

26. Build good credit, marry someone who also has good credit, and establish ownership of a property as soon as possible. Paying rent will only stall the process towards being a home owner. Nobody is ready at first, but your mortgage will always be the same, and your salary will always go up.

27. When you become a parent, that becomes your number one job. Once you bring life into the world, you are now #2. Every choice you make from there on out should always have your child in mind, if not, who will?

28. Always find a job that is a resume builder. If it is not something that will help you advance in the work force, don't do it. Once hired, NEVER BURN ANY BRIDGES. Keep moving up the latter.

29. Have a #1 for all of your attire. A nice suit that fits perfect. A going out shirt. A solid tee shirt. Perfect fitting jeans. Swim shorts that fit exact. Gym shorts where your phone doesn't fall out. Having a loaded closet of the same type of clothes is a bonus, however as an adult you need a #1 of all your essentials and keep them updated to rotate. It's better to spend $300 on one pair of jeans than going to Old Navy and spending $200 on ten pairs.

30. Work. Marriage. Kids. All the "adult" stuff needs to be BALANCED. Have a hobby. Something you enjoy doing that's totally YOUR TIME. Join a fantasy football league. Go to the driving range once a week. Have some sort of hobby that when life starts to pile things on your plate, your wife, kids, family all know that it's YOUR TIME of the week to go enjoy what you enjoy doing. This will maintain balance and keep perspective in how far you made it.

FINAL WORDS OF ADVICE

31. I was told this formula from my uncle growing up, and it hasn't failed me yet. Follow these steps, and you will be solid too: go to college, have the most fun you can possibly have and never get serious with a girl, get a degree, find a career, date marriage materials only, move in with a good girl, get engaged, buy a house, have a kid.... you go out of order, you will be okay, but follow that order and you will be GOLDEN.

Well, hope this helps some of the up and coming NT brethren :nthat:

View media item 946175
rayray3thousand
4/30/83

Happy birthday and thanks for the advice man 
nthat.gif

Hbd bro. 18 more years and I'll be 31 and maybe you'll still stay on nt to drop more advice.

Great post, I'll play.

[/quote]

6. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. I had a 2.3 in high school. I had a 2.1 in college. But in the end, I got a 4.0 in my masters program and that's all people see now.

Could not have said it better myself. Like OP I had a 2.3 in high school as well. Did not think about college during high school, just lived day to day and did the bare minimum to pass classes.

After finishing high school I had no plans. I had no work lined up, so I decided to take some classes at the local community college. It took me awhile to get in the swing of things, but eventually I started doing well in my classes and had a lot of motivation to succeed. Eventually I applied to transfer and was accepted to both my dream schools, UCLA and UC Berkeley. I am finishing my bachelors in June at UCLA and am proud my hard work is paying off. As a guy with a 2.3 gpa in high school, sometimes it is surreal being surrounded by so many smart students, but I am glad I made it.

It's never too late.

Random photo of the UCLA campus from my phone. I made it when no one thought I would just a few years prior.
View media item 946190

Last edited:
Happy Birthday RayRay

Congrats on your beautiful baby girl.

Very nice bits of info. Repped. :nthat:

NT fam... turned 31 today... yes, I'm old but I have learned some crucial things along the way.

To make things more interesting, if you quote ONE of the pieces, and put up a blurb AND pic about how you agree/disagree/have used it already in your life, your name will be entered to win $31 via paypal. ONCE A NUMBER IS USED, IT MAY NOT BE USED AGAIN. Once each the 31 are quoted and spoken for, I will randomly draw a number, and the funds will be sent.

13. Your college crew won't last forever. This one is usually more demographic separation, however these are the guys who you built a solid bond with and who's weddings you will be attending. Enjoy every minute of it.

rayray3thousand
4/30/83

Agree with this. BUT at the same time, make sure u know the difference between and TRUE friend and a PARTY buddy. The true buddies are the ones who will have ur back through and through... While the "Acquaintances" will be hitting you up to drink every other night when you have a real world job. Ur real friends u will talk to weekly/ monthly or w/e. The other guys will be hitting you up for jobs and using you.

Happy bday my man! Go Knicks!

Happy bday old head.... Great advice. Wish you would have put somethin in there about travel for the younger heads otherwise dope list.

I saved 31 for later

11. Listen to your friends. I don't mean take advice. I mean LISTEN to them. 90% of the time guys are just preloading what our response will be while someone is speaking, or your reply to a buddy will start with "I". Instead, be that dude in your crew that genuinely has conversations with friends where you let them speak, and you are that person whom they can rely on. You would be surprised how rare that is.

12. Your high school crew won't last forever. Don't get me wrong, you will stay close friends with a lot of them. But ages 14-18 do not define who you are, and you will change and drift apart over time.

rayray3thousand

4/30/83
I dont listen to them enough, but I will say that I've been riding out with the same friends since the 4th grade. No ones drifted away and it doesnt look like they will anytime soon unless its me.

15. Don't ever date/sleep with a buddies x girlfriend. He will never admit to you that it bothers him, or that he cared for her, but it's flat out disrespectful and just makes you look bad.

First and foremost, happy birthday and appreciate the advice from another perspective. This is the number I'll use. Back in HS I used to hoop at the Y like everyday, and through that I met my HS crew. One of the dudes apart of that group was into shoes (we all were, really) and introduced me to NT...he was actually well known at the time :lol: We (all 4-5 of us) would always chill after school, hoop, hit the mall, etc.

Well, long story short, some time went by and dude started acting like a douche. In retrospect I can see that it was probably due to frustrations with school and still living at home, but he said some downright disrespectful stuff to me and would clown everyone...so I got back at him.

I don't like what I did, and in retrospect I can see that friendship was worth more. Dude helped me out when I didn't have anyone else to, his parents were ALWAYS legit (but his dad hated me :lol: ) and I pretty much threw that away over some words after the club one night.

Live and you Learn.

Oh, and these girls ain't loyal.

Last edited:
Happy Bday
And what do you mean by "bicycle"?
Explain

bicycle = everyone gets a ride (ie sloot or the more popular term that I hate: thot)

happy bday OP. I'll be turning 31 in November. :pimp:

3. The only person you are going to impress with your kicks when you go out, is another dude. Rock what you like, no female will ever be on your jock because of your shoes, and if she is, imagine what she did last weekend when she saw a pair she liked.

This alone made me retire from the game for good. I constantly keep telling my younger cousins and peers that but eventually they'll admit that I'm right all along.

Women dig **** like this:

View media item 946417

Last edited:

14. Know your friends parents/families. The parents of your best friends will love you too like a son if you respect them as your own parents. These are the life long friends you will keep.

Even though we have all drifted apart, things are still the same when we do see each other. Feels good to be reunited once in a while.
And my friends' parents are second parents to me. I probably see them more than I see my friends since they live away for school.
The memories are great but I've moved on well from high school. Looking back I can say I wouldn't redo what I did or who I met.

View media item 946339funniest father figure I've ever met

Back
Top Bottom