40 Hour Work Week

How many hours do you work a week?

• Under 40

Votes: 15 22.1%

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • 40+

Votes: 34 50.0%

• Total voters
Is the 40 hour work week enough to get by or get ahead?

1611095019528.png

1611095039099.png

With the way the country is now days, is working 40 hours a week enough? There's some who believe if you want to live a higher quality life in the bigger market areas that 40-60+ hours a week are a must.

Last edited:
Disable folks from voting for multiple answers tay1 tay1

But I am contracted to 35 hours per week.
It won't let me. It keeps going back to unlimited after I change it.

Do you feel like working under and/or around 40 hours a week is enough to just get by or live comfortably?

It won't let me. It keeps going back to unlimited after I change it.

Do you feel like working under and/or around 40 hours a week is enough to just get by or live comfortably?

Honestly, I have a decent job and I am not struggling so I don't think I am truly qualified to speak on it.

But if I had to say, I would say I can get by working my 35 hours without having to do/work more on the side.

But I understand I am not in the majority of black folks living in DC.

Honestly, I have a decent job and I am not struggling so I don't think I am truly qualified to speak on it.

But if I had to say, I would say I can get by working my 35 hours without having to do/work more on the side.

But I understand I am not in the majority of black folks living in DC.
To ME, it ain't worth it.

60 hours a week would seem out of control. What is the end goal? That wouldn't motivate ME.
I got the idea from a youtube personality named Kevin Samuels. He believes that in order for men to be of high value and to be among the top earners of society, that working 60+ hours in today's world is necessary. The end goal is for it to assist in living a "higher quality life"

Depends what your job is. My last job I was an account manager who got paid salary + incentives depending on if my territory hit certain tiers of revenue. I used to get more work done in 30 hours than most employees got done in 50.

So if you're implying more hours= more OT pay therefore increasing your income then sure. But I disagree on the concept that if you work more hours you're getting more work accomplished. If every job was salaried and you were told "if you finish these tasks efficiently you can go home and not lose pay" watch how quickly work is completed.

I got the idea from a youtube personality named Kevin Samuels. He believes that in order for men to be of high value and to be among the top earners of society, that working 60+ hours in today's world is necessary. The end goal is for it to assist in living a "higher quality life"
That's idiotic, don't listen to those youtube "alpha" males, there are high earners in high paying areas that don't need to put in that many hours and it isn't required by the job. You can't paint something that black and white. Pretty much all of the C level execs I met def worked longer than 40 hrs a week, but I doubt it ever hit 60+ unless it was special projects like anyone else. They specifically had blackout/family time in their schedule.

Depends what your job is. My last job I was an account manager who got paid salary + incentives depending on if my territory hit certain tiers of revenue. I used to get more work done in 30 hours than most employees got done in 50.

So if you're implying more hours= more OT pay therefore increasing your income then sure. But I disagree on the concept that if you work more hours you're getting more work accomplished. If every job was salaried and you were told "if you finish these tasks efficiently you can go home and not lose pay" watch how quickly work is completed.
I'm coming at it from the angle of making more money. Not necessarily more accomplishments.

was about to post something along the lines of what you brought up

some work on salaries where they won't get paid by the hours so working more hours does not benefit much and definitely agree that if everyone was on a salary, then you would start seeing more productivity and efficiency. less people would be wasting time doing useless stuff

That's idiotic, don't listen to those youtube "alpha" males, there are high earners in high paying areas that don't need to put in that many hours and it isn't required by the job. You can't paint something that black and white. Pretty much all of the C level execs I met def worked longer than 40 hrs a week, but I doubt it ever hit 60+ unless it was special projects like anyone else. They specifically had blackout/family time in their schedule.
Of course, those with those types of jobs are earning well. How about those who are working ok jobs and are barely getting by? For the average employee, do you think its beneficial to stick with the 40+ work week or is more needed to get by today?

your takeaway from wages stagnating and devalued productivity is "need to work more?"
Obviously not. The answer would be for us to be paid more in according to the increasing standard of living. But since that's not the case, my question was is the 40 hour work week still successful for the average employee or is 40+ needed.

If theres OT offered hell ya ill work. Im clocking those hours.

Im not working past my cut off time if im not getting paid. Foh. Holla at my union rep.

I know someone who has worked 60+ hours for several years to achieve the lifestyle he envisioned for himself and his family. He is involved with several organizations and businesses. During the lockdown, he hasn't had to work as much, but we were conversing recently and he described initially how uncomfortable it was being at home. He was so accustomed to being on the go, that once it came time for him to slow down, it was like a drag.

Yea, I would push back on the 60+ hours theory.

Currently, there are people working their regular job and doing side hustles (Ubers, Lyfts) that end up working 60+ hours per week.

I don't think THAT population would typically qualify for the group "YouTube Dude" is speaking of. Many of these people are trying to simply supplement their incomes.

I know someone who has worked 60+ hours for several years to achieve the lifestyle he envisioned for himself and his family. He is involved with several organizations and businesses. During the lockdown, he hasn't had to work as much, but we were conversing recently and he described initially how uncomfortable it was being at home. He was so accustomed to being on the go, that once it came time for him to slow down, it was like a drag.
This is kind of the angle I was looking at. In order to live a "higher quality life" and with the 40 hour work week not being of the same value it once was, would one be willing to working 40-60+ hours to live that life.

Do you think he'd go back to working his hours before the pandemic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom