40 Hour Work Week

How many hours do you work a week?

• Under 40

Votes: 15 22.1%

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • 40+

Votes: 34 50.0%

• Total voters
I know someone who has worked 60+ hours for several years to achieve the lifestyle he envisioned for himself and his family. He is involved with several organizations and businesses. During the lockdown, he hasn't had to work as much, but we were conversing recently and he described initially how uncomfortable it was being at home. He was so accustomed to being on the go, that once it came time for him to slow down, it was like a drag.

some people just don't like a slow paced lifestyle and not having anything to do.
won't like, with this pandemic forcing me to take vacation days so i don't max out PTO hours and weekends not being able to go out and do anything, i get super uncomfortable and bored to where i would actually prefer to be working so that it at least gives me something to do

Obviously not. The answer would be for us to be paid more in according to the increasing standard of living. But since that's not the case, my question was is the 40 hour work week still successful for the average employee or is 40+ needed.

just checking...we only get so many hours in life, there's nothing worth more than time.

I’m working 55-60 hrs a week. 40 would give me PLENTY of time to do whatever I wanted. Anything less than 40, you’d prolly find me getting bored and lazy

Of course, those with those types of jobs are earning well. How about those who are working ok jobs and are barely getting by? For the average employee, do you think its beneficial to stick with the 40+ work week or is more needed to get by today?
As someone that has faced that decision, upskilling and moving to a higher paying region made much more sense than doubling down on ok work and barely getting by. No the 40 hr workweek wasn't enough at 1 stage, OT and a 2nd job was necessary along with school, burnt out in spectacular fashion. Not seeing how that translates to necessary or high value though as opposed to survival, like there's bridge to this convo i'm missing.

Yea, I would push back on the 60+ hours theory.

Currently, there are people working their regular job and doing side hustles (Ubers, Lyfts) that end up working 60+ hours per week.

I don't think THAT population would typically qualify for the group "YouTube Dude" is speaking of. Many of these people are trying to simply supplement their incomes.
Of course. I'm speaking in a manner of taking more hours or picking up a second job. A side hustle, in the case of uber and lyft is supplemental income. I'm presenting it in the manner of would one do it if it elevated your lifestyle?

I’m working 55-60 hrs a week. 40 would give me PLENTY of time to do whatever I wanted. Anything less than 40, you’d prolly find me getting bored and lazy
Do you live a lifestyle that you envisioned for yourself or enjoy?

This is kind of the angle I was looking at. In order to live a "higher quality life" and with the 40 hour work week not being of the same value it once was, would one be willing to working 60+ hours to live that life.

Do you think he'd go back to working his hours before the pandemic.
He's mentioned making changes, but he enjoys what he does. At this point, I don't think it's money driving him. He's an older cat. His youngest kid has graduated highschool and in college. He has multiple homes etc.

As someone that has faced that decision, upskilling and moving to a higher paying region made much more sense than doubling down on ok work and barely getting by. No the 40 hr workweek wasn't enough at 1 stage, OT and a 2nd job was necessary along with school, burnt out in spectacular fashion. Not seeing how that translates to necessary or high value though as opposed to survival, like there's bridge to this convo i'm missing.
That's all facts but most people don't upskill or even reskill. Or navigate the job market correctly in general. Most people still rely on working at a single job for mad years waiting for a promotion. And by higher value, I mean a "better lifestyle"

I work 60 hours at least, usually is about 70 a week. Monday to Friday and some time on the weekends but that's really up to me.

Yea, I would push back on the 60+ hours theory.

Currently, there are people working their regular job and doing side hustles (Ubers, Lyfts) that end up working 60+ hours per week.

I don't think THAT population would typically qualify for the group "YouTube Dude" is speaking of. Many of these people are trying to simply supplement their incomes.

it's wild, folks sell more of their time to live a lower quality of life and nobody seems mad.

how the hell you spending most waking hours at work and still broke af?

you only get one ride, as far as I know.

I think it also depends on your income. If you're making $80k working your 40 hours but 60 hours makes you $110k then yeah you do it because you're pushing yourself into a financial area that gives you more money for a bigger house or whatever. But if your income is $50k and 60 hour weeks gives you $60k then I'm good

Man I've been working 60+ hours for years. Plus nightshift too. Lately it taking a toll on me mentally. Imma try to slow down this year and take more time for myself.

I think it also depends on your income. If you're making $80k working your 40 hours but 60 hours makes you $110k then yeah you do it because you're pushing yourself into a financial area that gives you more money for a bigger house or whatever. But if your income is $50k and 60 hour weeks gives you $60k then I'm good
Assume we're speaking of a person working on an average income in their respective location.

I work 60 hours at least, usually is about 70 a week. Monday to Friday and some time on the weekends but that's really up to me.
Are you doing so because you love the work you do or because you feel it's necessary to live a lifestyle you enjoy?

it's wild, folks sell more of their time to live a lower quality of life and nobody seems mad.

how the hell you spending most waking hours at work and still broke af?

you only get one ride, as far as I know.
Excluding situations in which one cant work 40+, would an additional job help their situation and do you think most people are willing to take on more hours/less sleep to improve their situation?

Man I've been working 60+ hours for years. Plus nightshift too. Lately it taking a toll on me mentally. Imma try to slow down this year and take more time for myself.

good ****...don't wait until you're too old to enjoy life to start trying to enjoy your life.

can't tell you how many retirees I met down vacation town who spent 45 years saving for a comfortable retirement in the sunshine and now can barely even walk to the scenery.

your youth and health are inherently valuable.

Are you doing so because you love the work you do or because you feel it's necessary to live a lifestyle you enjoy?
Moreso the former. I have been here for six years and have had ample opportunity to leave. I also don't live crazy, I could downgrade compensation wise and be fine, but I dig it.

good ****...don't wait until you're too old to enjoy life to start trying to enjoy your life.

can't tell you how many retirees I met down vacation town who spent 45 years saving for a comfortable retirement in the sunshine and now can barely even walk to the scenery.

your youth and health are inherently valuable.
Super strong post to SN ratio on that quote

Excluding situations in which one cant work 40+, would an additional job help their situation and do you think most people are willing to take on more hours/less sleep to improve their situation?

well what is "helping a situation?"

if you make more but have to spend more on fixing the damage from inadequate sleep or stress-based disorders, what did you gain?

very temporarily for a defined purpose, I can see it...but that's no way to live your only life.

well what is "helping a situation?"

if you make more but have to spend more on fixing the damage from inadequate sleep or stress-based disorders, what did you gain?

very temporarily for a defined purpose, I can see it...but that's no way to live your only life.
Helping a situation by increasing one's incoming by taking on an additional load of work.

Also, I'm not framing this in a way for a person to work these kind of hours for all of their life. I'm coming at it with it being temporary.

I think when you're young you gotta grind to move up. If working 60 hours gets you recognition or achievements that allow you to climb that ladder then it's worth the stress. But working 60 hours your entire career is hustling backwards. I know people who have jobs making $100k+ that drain their entire schedule, and I know people making $100k+ that worked up to a position where they do less work than before and got a pay raise.

Back
Top Bottom