40 Hour Work Week

How many hours do you work a week?

• Under 40

Votes: 15 22.1%

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • 40+

Votes: 34 50.0%

• Total voters
I think when you're young you gotta grind to move up. If working 60 hours gets you recognition or achievements that allow you to climb that ladder then it's worth the stress. But working 60 hours your entire career is hustling backwards. I know people who have jobs making $100k+ that drain their entire schedule, and I know people making $100k+ that worked up to a position where they do less work than before and got a pay raise.
The bolded is also how I'm looking at it.

Basically, would you temporarily take on this amount of work to achieve whatever goal is in mind. Whether it be to live a certain lifestyle, save money, elevate in your career and so forth?

I'm speaking about individuals who are making average incomes in their respective locations.

40 hours as standard for office work is out dated...Most ppl don’t use all those hours to do productive work or it’s wasted in meetings, same thing with the 5 day workweek ...Hopefully one change out the pandemic is less days/time stuck to a desk, they gotta show me a big bag to get me thinkin bout going back 5 days a week

40 hours as standard for office work is out dated...Most ppl don’t use all those hours to do productive work or it’s wasted in meetings, same thing with the 5 day workweek ...Hopefully one change out the pandemic is less days/time stuck to a desk, they gotta show me a big bag to get me thinkin bout going back 5 days a week
I think remote work is going to be far more available once the potential long term benefits have been studied.

Do you think the 40 hour work week is outdated as far as making a livable income goes as well?

People are even less productive at home.

My old job you could see peoples status. Folks away for 45min-1hr grocery shopping and taking naps.

I msged someone once around 11am, they responded 11pm :rofl: was my manager too. Folks are bait too, exposing they arent doing **** at home.

I have been working this much from the jump. At first, it was just head in the desk churning out work, but now there's actual thought and nuance behind it. Been promoted a few times and now it's a position of leadership.

I think remote work is going to be far more available once the potential long term benefits have been studied.

Do you think the 40 hour work week is outdated as far as making a livable income goes as well?
Income, hours and cost of living hasn’t matched up in a long time so it’s all outdated....Employers gotta adjust to remote work if they wanna retain workers tho cuz ppl are now starting to expect it and alotta the ones that used to be against it (mostly older folks) even getting wit it

People are even less productive at home.

My old job you could see peoples status. Folks away for 45min-1hr grocery shopping and taking naps.

I msged someone once around 11am, they responded 11pm :rofl: was my manager too. Folks are bait too, exposing they arent doing **** at home.
These types of ppl just generally ain’t slick/smart with their work time...Bet they the same type to get caught up doing dumb **** in the office too :lol: :smh: ...It ain’t that hard to get your work done, look productive and enjoy your time at home or wherever you at if you know what you doing

Income, hours and cost of living hasn’t matched up in a long time so it’s all outdated

These types of ppl just generally ain’t slick/smart with their work time...Bet they the same type to get caught up doing dumb **** in the office too :lol: :smh: ...It ain’t that hard to get your work done, look productive and enjoy your time at home or wherever you at if you know what you doing
They sell something that makes your mouse move so your status doesnt go idle, like an attachment

Supposedly

👀

They sell something that makes your mouse move so your status doesnt go idle, like an attachment

Supposedly

👀
Or just get it poppin with the YouTube lo fi beats vid x outlook/zoom/Skype/teams on your phone combo....Like I said could be “working” anywhere like you never left your crib

Last edited:
Work smart, not hard. Its all a game, just gotta play it right.
Unfortunately most people don't. Part of the plight is of course not being paid what we deserve, another part is people not playing it right like you said.

Unless you really like that job or are comfortable there, I don't understand people working at the same job for years and years without elevating much.

This pretty much sums it all up.

This could also apply to the "Nobody Should Have a Billion Dollars thread.

1611100263735.png

Unfortunately most people don't. Part of the plight is of course not being paid what we deserve, another part is people not playing it right like you said.

Unless you really like that job or are comfortable there, I don't understand people working at the same job for years and years without elevating much.
Like you said it’s being comfortable and scared of change....If you got something that’s keeping you afloat and you know what to expect that’s a lot for some ppl...Then you factor in all that goes in getting a new job, they ain’t wit it especially as they got older...It all really goes back to mindset of “just happy to have a job”

Me personally I’m going wherever the money and opportunity is idc, on my mercenary **** when it comes to working for someone else :lol:

I started working hourly after college. Any time ot clocked in over 50 hours, pretty much meant you was working to pay taxes. So i rarely did.

have a good paying job as an accountant now but not working more than 50 hours(no ot) even if im Only salaried at 40hrs. I work more hours to compensate taking so
Many breaks working from home

Im Of the belief that getting ahead means having a good side hustle that makes you cake with little overhead, which i have.

dont be a slave to your job. Giving it all these hours and energy. Instead invest in a side hustle and create your a llc for that bish.

I started working hourly after college. Any time ot clocked in over 50 hours, pretty much meant you was working to pay taxes. So i rarely did.

have a good paying job as an accountant now but not working more than 50 hours(no ot) even if im Only salaried at 40hrs. I work more hours to compensate taking so
Many breaks working from home

Im Of the belief that getting ahead means having a good side hustle that makes you cake with little overhead, which i have.

dont be a slave to your job. Giving it all these hours and energy. Instead invest in a side hustle and create your a llc for that bish.
Isn’t a side hustle an additional source of income meaning putting in more work?

Also not everybody is made out for having their own business.

I ain’t working 60hrs unless it’s mines. My business. Not working like that for some company

Isn’t a side hustle an additional source of income meaning putting in more work?

Also not everybody is made out for having their own business.

right im not against working more or working more hours. Im just not a fan of giving a corporate job more hours and energy when they wont pay accordingly, like in my case.

im
Not built for the corporate bs and *** kissing to
Get ahead/promoted. So i do
My work and bounce.

then with commutes, onsite breaks, and prep time you're really talking more like 60 hours.

also limited off days, location dependence (must stay within certain distance of job at all times), meal/transportation costs, work clothing...the drawbacks start to add up.

also your time...there's a whole thread on people skipping sleep to get personal time.

they're all getting over on us.

i work 4 x 10's. im off every tuesday and the weekends. imo no one should be working more than 4 days a week. 3 would be ideal. it's just a better balance to have an almost equal number of days off and on.
BUT i am on call every other week 24/7. I only get called on a week night once in a blue moon but the weekends is about a 30-40% chance i get called in. it is tough being on call so often but this is where i have been really able to stack some bread on top of my original salary. It only works though because i don't get called in too often and when i do it's usually for only around 2-3 hours.
everytime i do get called in though i get time and a half + weekend differential + (if after 2pm) 2nd shift differential or 3rd shift differential (after 6)+ getting paid to just be on call.

for example i was on call this whole last week 7 days and didn't get one single call. i got paid almost an extra 700$ for absolutely nothing.

with that being said me and my wife think i need to look for another job because it's too much at times. if it weren't for covid i don't think i would have been this ok with this much call. i think i'd rather have less money if it meant more free time. the fact that there's not much to do right now helps a lot.
the money doesn't really equate to happiness to me.

i work 4 x 10's. im off every tuesday and the weekends. imo no one should be working more than 4 days a week. 3 would be ideal. it's just a better balance to have an almost equal number of days off and on.
BUT i am on call every other week 24/7. I only get called on a week night once in a blue moon but the weekends is about a 30-40% chance i get called in. it is tough being on call so often but this is where i have been really able to stack some bread on top of my original salary. It only works though because i don't get called in too often and when i do it's usually for only around 2-3 hours.
everytime i do get called in though i get time and a half + weekend differential + (if after 2pm) 2nd shift differential or 3rd shift differential (after 6)+ getting paid to just be on call.

for example i was on call this whole last week 7 days and didn't get one single call. i got paid almost an extra 700$ for absolutely nothing.
A 3 day work week is interesting. I’d be down for a 40 hour week if it meant working 3 days. That’ll be dope.

one thing tho, you didn't get that $700 "for nothing," you earned it by having the expertise and making the availability to serve as an insurance policy for your employer's operations.

anytime the gig is on your mind, you're working.

Back
Top Bottom