40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

How did families make it back then with 40K a year and a family of 8?

We just accustom to "stuff" and mentality of living "comfortable" to a standard.

Last edited:
ill play.

i live in LA county on the westside where its F.U expensive. Not quite SF or Manhattan expensive, but its up there. Its not about being resourceful or managing money. The math just doesnt work for me and my family to get by on $40K a year. I cant even afford a SFR here. I'm already tight on space in my condo with a 2nd kid on the way. My mortgage payment and HOA is a $2,600 a month. This is a fixed cost for me every month just to have a roof over my head. At $40K a year, that comes out to what... maybe $3K+/- a month? No chance I get by with $400 to cover food, utilities, etc... etc... no matter how conservative I get.

So real questions is, could you move your family to another state and live there and still be happy about it or would you rather stay in the LA area with your current living situation and try and make more?

Here are the top 5 states in 2014 according to CNBC:

1) Kentucky
2) Arkansas
3) Oklahoma
4) Louisiana
5) West Virginia

I think it does depend on where you live (in the country/world.) I'm originaly from Buffalo (See user name lol) but live in AZ. You can buy large houses "back home" for $30-60k! You can get around on a 10 speed because everything/everyone is close in proximity. Cats back home can own Lexi and Cadillac and Mercedes on a 40k/year salary! In Arizona, your job might be 10-15 miles (not blocks) one way... public transportation is nothing like back east. And even with the housing market crash good luck finding a shack (think Deep South, wooden, with an outhouse) for any less than $100k. And in Cali it gets worse, could be hours (in traffic) on way, houses knee deep in the hood (areas people associate with the hood) like Watts(up), Compton, Inglewood etc. are way more than $100k.

If you lived in the Philippines you might be a King on $40k.

Some places your good on $40k and some places your on welfare making $40k/year.

So real questions is, could you move your family to another state and live there and still be happy about it or would you rather stay in the LA area with your current living situation and try and make more?

1) Kentucky
2) Arkansas
3) Oklahoma
4) Louisiana
5) West Virginia
EDIT:

There's a reason why they call them MMA, and why real estate prices are high in their respective areas.  Oklahoma?  Yeah sure.  Midas whale move to the woods and chill w/ Yetti and Bape.  Or chat w/ the XIII Panther.

Last edited:
How did families make it back then with 40K a year and a family of 8?

We just accustom to "stuff" and mentality of living "comfortable" to a standard.
inflation, but I know someone currently supporting a family of 8 with a 60k income

I dont think you can break it down into states and say could you be comfortable living there. 

inflation, but I know someone currently supporting a family of 8 with a 60k income

Although I agree with you, my grandparents raised a family of nine with only 49K a year. She managed to save and take us all on vacations. She was a school teacher and my grandfather was a janitor at a plant. The inflation from then to now as a teacher is roughly $18k to 19.5K in Lousinana.

ill play.

i live in LA county on the westside where its F.U expensive. Not quite SF or Manhattan expensive, but its up there. Its not about being resourceful or managing money. The math just doesnt work for me and my family to get by on $40K a year. I cant even afford a SFR here. I'm already tight on space in my condo with a 2nd kid on the way. My mortgage payment and HOA is a $2,600 a month. This is a fixed cost for me every month just to have a roof over my head. At $40K a year, that comes out to what... maybe $3K+/- a month? No chance I get by with $400 to cover food, utilities, etc... etc... no matter how conservative I get.

1) Kentucky
2) Arkansas
3) Oklahoma
4) Louisiana
5) West Virginia

couldnt do it.

whats the saying, happy wife happy life?

i asked my wife what she thought about moving out of CA but she aint havin it. If necessary, I could probably strong arm my boss into allowing me to work remotely and setting up a satellite office in another part of the country if I wanted to move. I would probably keep the same salary too. The problem is with my wife. Most available jobs in her industry are centered around NYC, LA, or SF. She would not be able to find comprable work at a comprable salary if we moved out of one of those major metro areas. She also makes a good bit more than I do. While I am fairly confident that we could get by living in someplace like Oklahoma on my 100K+, I dont know if it would be a net positive gain in terms of spending power versus us staying in LA with our combined income of 250K+. That doesnt even take into account actual quality of life and happiness which is a big deal. That is the main reason why my wife doesnt want to move out of LA. Most of her family is out here and she wants our kids to grow up with a close relationship with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc... She would get homesick instantly.

I dont think you can break it down into states and say could you be comfortable living there. 
Expand on this please? While it's not the only factor I think it plays a huge part.
I will do so when I get to the coffee shop but just cause a state as a whole is not up there with the rest the country in the value of a dollar. There are some areas in the state that can rival some of the bigger cities with the value of the dollar but just not the same opportunity as the bigger cities.

I understood with the dude who posted the five states just thought it was not as cut and dry as that. 

^^ Maybe purchasing power would make more sense as opposed to 'value of the dollar'.  Unless you are talking about currency.

There are a lot of intangibles you can't quantify.  You can't quantify weather, or lifestyle, friends, family, etc.

It doesn't matter what state or city you're in 40k is more than enough to live.  I used to live with a lot of extras in my 20s but now that I'm just past 30 I've taken a lot of the extras out my life.  Back when I lived in LA I was paying about $2000 a month in rent for my apartment and owned an audi a5 which was a great expense in itself and ate at all the trendy places, spent thousands on clothes etc.  and was caught up with the lifestyle.  Now I've moved to San Francisco and pay $500 a month for rent and utilities including internet.  I've sold my car so I'm saving a lot in transportation and am eating out in cheaper places.  Ppl just need to cut out the extras in their lives

u cant public transport everywhere. cant use ur bay leaf life to shadow other mma. no 40k is not enuff, only if u are short visioned.

^^If push comes to shovel I believe we all could live off 40k (would be a struggle)but do we want to na....

^^ Maybe purchasing power would make more sense as opposed to 'value of the dollar'.  Unless you are talking about currency.

There are a lot of intangibles you can't quantify.  You can't quantify weather, or lifestyle, friends, family, etc.
Yeah I am with you on the purchasing power. 

Whatever the job is, i would be able to deal with it for 8 hours a day if it gave me that financial flexibility. Gimme that 100k job.

It doesn't matter what state or city you're in 40k is more than enough to live.  I used to live with a lot of extras in my 20s but now that I'm just past 30 I've taken a lot of the extras out my life.  Back when I lived in LA I was paying about $2000 a month in rent for my apartment and owned an audi a5 which was a great expense in itself and ate at all the trendy places, spent thousands on clothes etc.  and was caught up with the lifestyle.  Now I've moved to San Francisco and pay $500 a month for rent and utilities including internet.  I've sold my car so I'm saving a lot in transportation and am eating out in cheaper places.  Ppl just need to cut out the extras in their lives

im not that well versed on SF real estate but there are real apartments in SF city proper for $500/mo?

The question is not if you can live off of 40k its , why would you ?

If your making less than 40k a year your living a mediocre life . No disrespect to any of the people in here , who is making that but i think that is BS

You always hear "life is too short" and i say so what ? ...its not about how long you live. Its about the quantity of life you live overall

You got this dude in here telling people "its about what you love" but the thing is even if you loved your low paying job you would be miserable because your just barley getting by , i don't care what no one says , money = freedom and that **** is priceless. That is why i push myself and others to do business because most people will never live their dreams off the BS checks they get at jobs.

100k buys you time in the future and it gives you options , 40k a year is a dead end and it will take years to touch that 100k working your way up

Mind I ask what you living off now?  Understand if you don't want to reveal your actual salary...

Not trying to single you out, MPL...But I am curious to vast majority in here stating they can't make it off 40K....How many of you guys actually making more than 50K?
 I can't do 40K man.

Last edited:

If your making less than 40k a year your living a mediocre life . No disrespect to any of the people in here , who is making that but i think that is BS

You always hear "life is too short" and i say so what ? ...its not about how long you live. Its about the quantity of life you live overall

You got this dude in here telling people "its about what you love" but the thing is even if you loved your low paying job you would be miserable because your just barley getting by , i don't care what no one says , money = freedom and that **** is priceless. That is why i push myself and others to do business because most people will never live their dreams off the BS checks they get at jobs.

100k buys you time in the future and it gives you options , 40k a year is a dead end and it will take years to touch that 100k working your way up
Na cant agree with this, cause they got them cats that backpack across the country, those hipster living 20 deep in Manhattan, or just those religious people that are happy just to be alive while enjoying life.

Average household income in the US is 51k so yah a good majority is living that mediocre life which is fine.

Personally I wouldn't want to make 100k and work 70 hours a week filled with stress, deadlines, and an abusive boss whom takes you for granted. I also wouldn't settle for 40k a year regardless if the job makes me happy. How the hell am I suppose to live in Orange County 2 miles from the beach with that income? Bottom line, it all boils down to what you need in life. If a BMW, and a house close to the beach is what you want in life then well you better put in the work. But if someone only needs a small home in South Dakota or somewhere out there, and have enough to save for their future, and can afford to support their family, then by all means more power to them.

Remember everyone has their own lives to live so everyone needs to just find that happy medium.

It's about what you GROSS, what your benefits are, and how taxes affect you.  It's about disposable income and take home pay.  You need to be honest with this to actually understand!!  But the preposterous stories are rather funny.  Yeah right, adding a K to the quarter. 50K, 75K, 100K. LOLZ

Na cant agree with this, cause they got them cats that backpack across the country, those hipster living 20 deep in Manhattan, or just those religious people that are happy just to be alive while enjoying life.

Nah man. They miserable. He don't care what no one says.

Back
Top Bottom