[[_Serious help needed from my NT lawyers: I have a court appearance for petit larceny_]]

Okay, lets get it out the way. Yes,I was stupid and Yes, I thought I could get away with it.

Anyways, I'm 20 years old and I got caught stealing $65.00 worth of Polo Shirts from Macys in Flushing in August. I was led to the backroom, where in apanic and not knowing what to do confessed to what I did and signed a paper that was handed to me by Macys employees. Cops came, arrested me, took me to theprecinct. Got fingerprinted and what not, was held in a holding cell for 3 hours until they told me I can go with a Desk Appearance Ticket that I would have toattend after they found out I had no criminal record. Well, the court date appearance is in 2 days and during the meantime, I researched online about similarcases and what to expect. I've read that since I'm a 1st time offender, I could ask for a ACD and pay restitution, do community service, take ashoplifting class and stay out of trouble for the next 6 months and have the charge stricken from my record.

My question is:
- Do I need to have a lawyer for this? I spoke to my parents and they told me that since its a misdeamenor crime, we dont really need to hire one. Would I beassigned a public defender when I go to court?
- What should I tell my PD to get an ACD for my case? If I'm not assigned a PD, how should I go about it in court?
- I recieved letters from a "law firm" from Florida that represents Macys, telling me that I would have to pay $350 to avoid a civil case and when Idid not pay that, they sent another one asking for $550 this time. Do I REALLY need to pay this? or would paying restitution that the court gives me enough?
- I've read online but I want to confirm what my options are in this situation?
- What punishment should I be expecting?

Serious answers are needed here, please.

Thanks

smh.gif

i dont think macys would spend the money to sue a 20 year old that stole a $65 shirt...but thats just me

it seems like they're trying to scare you into paying

Originally Posted by Lrrr

i dont think macys would spend the money to sue a 20 year old that stole a $65 shirt...but thats just me

it seems like they're trying to scare you into paying
thats what I'm saying.

You will be better off if you don't show up with a lawyer and act like you don't know what the hell is going on.

Trust it. You will get an ACD and stay out of trouble for 6 months. No judge is wasting his time on a first time offender. Expect a lecture though.

Originally Posted by HOVKid

You will be better off if you don't show up with a lawyer and act like you don't know what the hell is going on.

Trust it. You will get an ACD and stay out of trouble for 6 months. No judge is wasting his time on a first time offender. Expect a lecture though.
So, I'd have to show up and appear before the judge without a public defender?

Would it just be a ACD as my punishment? Any chance you can give me an estimation of the amount of restitution I would have to pay? And would Macys take me toCivil Court if I dont pay the ones that they sending me from their "law firm representatives"?

I wouldn't even stress about court. You'll get a slap on the wrist, a lecture, and the judge might say some "If I see you in my court room againI'll send you to jail" type @$+!. Court will be fine, but I don't know how that civil suit @$+! goes down.

They probably want the restitution and maybe some community service hours... then the charge will be off your record.

my boy got caught stealing from Macy's one time. All I know is he's never allowed back in Macy's ever although we just copped a bunch of stuff fromthe sale the other day so Im sure you'll be ok

pimp.gif

Thanks for all the serious and helpful responses everyone.

if anyone else dealt with the same thing, share your stories

Originally Posted by HOVKid

HOVKid,

please check your PM, I got a similar question that needs your expertise.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom