A degree in Computer Science or CIS(Computer Information Systems)?

So how does one get a basic Help Desk role....? I know my way around computers but am doing a degree that is unrelated and might not be able to get a job out of school..... What Ceritifcates should i go after or should i just go to community college for IT?

I was thinking of going the IT certification route but i wanted some type of background in it first before i went into obtaining any. And money is REALLY tight right now

If you're the type, you can actually just buy the books and study on your own. I'd recommend repeatedly going over things for about 6 months, then take the test. Tests are usually 1-2 or so, versus 1-3Gs for a class. Depending on the books you find, you can end up with all of the knowledge and only pay a fraction of the course cost.

At the same time -- Do you know what a profession in each entails? I like IS vs CS because I hate programming lol, and that what CS usually involves -- being software engineer. Learning a little scripting can help within the job, but I mainly configure servers and applications, and deal with a few networking things and some customer support.

So how does one get a basic Help Desk role....? I know my way around computers but am doing a degree that is unrelated and might not be able to get a job out of school..... What Ceritifcates should i go after or should i just go to community college for IT?

I started at my school's IT department. From there, you can have plenty of opportunities to move from one thing to another to find your niche, or find a future job opportunity. But that's usually the last place that's going to ask for experience when hiring you. They just want to know if you understand technical things and know what you're doing.

Those who have said that a SIS degree only teaches you the general concepts hit it on the head!!!

I was fortunate enough to lang a job right after I graduated back in May, and I didnt use a single technical skill that I learned in school until about a month on the job. Information Systems is so huge of a field it would be impossible to touch on most specifics. I enjoy it though. I would recommend it to anyone who isnt necessarily super passionate about a CS degree. GREAT possible money, not a very long program (at least for me), and many skills you learn are easy to apply in the everyday world.

i graduated in 2009 with a degree in management information systems
get good big degrees, undergrad...everyone has one, if you have the hustle just certify yourself

tech got boring low key

i took the streaming media route
networking administration
project management
infrastructure development route
low key consulting

its easy yet allows me to stay busy in what im doing and love which is entertainment and music

i was never a programmer so i rather lead the ship than type its coordinates in

I need to get certified in streaming media and digital/techonology, felt like goin bck to school for the degree in video production or something like that.

Take a IT certification course. You already have a degree.

MCITP or CCNA or Comptia certs would be a good start.

Best answer given. Don't waste your money on the degrees. People are getting paid 6 figures with just IT certifications. You may want to look into security and network security, also.

Last edited:
what are you looking to do in IT?

do you want to fix / service computers?

do you be a developer (programmer)?

do you want to go into project management?

Back
Top Bottom